Only registered users can participate to this poll
  • Page:

TOPIC: Spider-man #700

Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #27953

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I think this is for real.

Peter Parker.... :(

I would definitely like to know other readers' thoughts on the new status quo for Spidey.

p.s. in case you are wondering what I am blubbering about, go read the last 3 issues of Amazing Spider-Man (#698-700).
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #27954

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Don't feel too sad. It will soon get the "One more day" treatment, and it will all be swept under the rug.

It's not like its the first time they tried to pull something of this magnitude with Peter. From the top of my head, they did the same (or close enough) during the clone saga, and public outrage brought back the status quo.

Give or take, i'd say it's something that will run for less than a year, then gets put back again.

fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #27960

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I've been on and off the spidey train for the past years. Some runs I like, and they make me want to make it a "regular" read - others I just can't stomach.

This, despite the controversy, and the fact that I highly doubt it will be permanent (might turn out to be that whatshisname planted a new personality into you-know-who's mind and all will be back to normal) - but you never know. Marvel wants to be as ballsy as DC was, cancelling a 700-issue-strong series and starting over. Will they pull it off? Marvel has tried time and again to shock us with change, and a few months later, sweet F*** all is left of it. Let's see if they stick to it this time.

</rant>

But yes, I enjoyed the run. I always thought Doc was a fascinating and complex character, and this new scenario is fresh and new (for now) and might give us the possibility to know what it would be like to suddenly wake up and be the most famous web-slinger around.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #27980

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I loved the way Bendis handled Peter's death in Ultimate. It was sad, heroic, tragic and had a sense of finality to it. Even though you loved the character, his story felt complete and satisfying.

This just seemed like a half-assed conclusion as if Slott was trying to meet a too soon deadline. Maybe that's what he was going for because Peter was given a deadline (pun intended) that he couldn't meet.

Either way he wrote in a couple of loopholes so we all know Peter will be back eventually.

Even though I didn't like the way this issue was handled I think the new series will be fun.

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #28054

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I've been reading the entire Slott run and I thought this was great, and handled well, and have the utmost confidence in him going forward.

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #28062

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
I wasn't overly impressed with the way this was handled and TBH kinda pissed at the ending. After reading #700, I flipped open Avenging Spider-Man #15.1 (suggested not to be read until after you've read #700) and Doc's personality had rolled back to being his pre-headscrewedwithbyadyingPeter self. In some ways I felt slighted by this lack of coordinated writing.
I know it's all going to end up getting rolled back to normal. Spider-Man is too much of a fan favorite to be killed off in such a cheap manor. This build-up to his "death" felt rushed. I know people were pissed over the "death" of Johnny Storm but even that felt like it was written in a way that made sense and would have been within the scope of Johnny's character. But this, with Peter... I'm just not sure how this is going to play out. I'm going to give the new series a go, but if I can't stomach it, it might be the first Marvel book I don't read on a regular basis in a long time.
Last Edit: 4 years 8 months ago by squeedps.

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #28071

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
I've given this some more thought, and there is no way that this change is permanent. This would separate the comic book from the movies too much. They can't do this on a movie because it would alienate all the people who read spider-man up to a couple of months ago and don't know of this change, and they have tried to converge both media rather than separate it. Just look at Nick Fury and the Avengers. On the same note, the Avengers and X-Men merge is also on a schedule to go away and return to the status quo.

They'll just milk the cow for a while, then put it down.

Permanent death on comics...riiight.

fK

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #28073

• astraldragon
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
I found some parts of the issue to be quite good, but overall I thought it was pretty mediocre. I felt it was rushed, not very exciting, and the writing was quite bad. I found Peter's death to be very anti-climactic, unlike the Ultimate Spider-Man death which I thought was very well done. I will give Superior Spider-Man a shot. I think that this could be an interesting turn, but I hope it isn't permanent.

My favourite parts of the book:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

My not so favourite parts of the book:
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #28075

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
When I think about it, this was only a 3-issue story arc. Marvel could have easily converted this into an'event' if they considered it to be worth something.

Another thing that I feel is that Dr. octopus' coming good on viewing Peter's memories is a bit too easy, almost like a cliché.

Overall, I think Marvel will decide Peter's fate based on the sales of the 'Superior' book.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Spider-man #700 4 years 8 months ago #28083

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
It's great to see Peter back with Mary Jane.
It sucks that it's Otto swooning Mary Jane.
It's tearful that in house of M; Peter's greatest wish was to has a family with Gwen.
Now he's with Gwen... but nobody knows it.
It will suck to be Mary Jane as she arrives at the pearly gates.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Who's Online

We have 247 guests and 5 members online