Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the Marvel Universe

TOPIC: Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16!

Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 4 years 5 months ago #31606

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hi Guys,
I decided to take on a mammoth task...
I used to read the UK b/w reprints as a kid, and when they caught up with the US issues (UK ones were weekly) I subscribed for a year from the US but it was very expensive for a 16 year old so had to stop.
The last issue I read was Amazing Spider-man 120 - the one before Gwen Stacey was killed. I now have digital versions of all the ones I missed, and Im going to read them all up to the present day! Im noticing a BIG difference in writing, graphics and other things comparing Superior to Amazing. I'll keep you updated on my findings.
Steve
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 4 years 5 months ago #31607

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
The artwork for Spider-Man was pretty consistent for the first 20 years. I think the art changed a tad bit right before the black costume was intruduced but then in 1998 McFarlane realy transformed the art style a whole bunch when he changed up the webs and and started creating the "Spidey poses" as well as modernizing Peter's and MJ's hair styles.

Re: Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 4 years 5 months ago #31984

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok,
up to # 150 so far, not finding it as good as when I was 16, the narration gets really annoying when your reading several issues back to back. Stories seem very simplistic, villain of the week kinda thing, Im at 1976 so far, (I was 19!) I'm having fun remembering what I was doing then (first serious girlfriend, so THATS why I stopped reading comics!) Ah well, see what the next 150 bring.
Steve

Re: Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 4 years 5 months ago #31995

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi,
You ran into the same problem that I experienced when reading the older (50's-late 70's) books. The story lines are typically one issue and become repetitive quickly. I have the Marvel 40 years DVD's, all of them, and they all pretty much suffer the same problem.

I imagine if I were growing up reading those, it would be better because you wouldn't be getting the repetition so quickly, you had to wait 30 days or so until the next issue. Reading 5 older issues digitally in one night makes it almost not fun. Almost chore like in a sense.

To me, this is purely a situation created by couple of things:

1. Digital on demand. Not having to wait. These simple stories, and that's what they are, get very, well, boring if read back to back to back, etc.
2. There is a lot of dialogue in the old books and the art is dated. Because of that, it's makes reading a bunch of books not terribly fun sometimes.
3. The stories have to be simple because most were encapsulated in single issue. There were no crossovers and it was a big deal to have a guest star. I remember in the late 70's/early 80's when Daredevil would hop into a Spidey issue. That was a event..seeing that guest star on the cover was great! Now they are pretty much all over the place:)

You've taken the approach I did which was trying to place myself back in that time, think of what I was doing and enjoy the memories:)
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by riddlemethis.

Re: Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 2 years 7 months ago #41660

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
Nearly finished, around 20 to go!!!

Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 2 years 7 months ago #41698

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
Well, I've done it!
Finished issue 700 last night, Im a little sad now that I'll never look into that part of Spidey again, other than re-reading, it was Amazing (!) to see the changes in the art/storyline over the years with a modern viewpoint on things looking back. Some of the art was absolute garbage, and more than a few of the storylines left a lot to be desired. I seem to be pretty much alone in loving the 'One More Day' story Arc, I know it was cheesey, but it hit me in all the right spots, I'm wondering if I'm more into the story of Pete and Mary-Jane than Spider-man, dunno, I just cant see him with anyone else. Black Cat was nice for a bit of fun and frolics, Anna Maria also good for more mental equality, Carlie Cooper left me cold, nothing going on there at all. Also looking at the timescale, Pete was around the same age as me when I started reading at 16'ish and I'm 58 this year, I must say he's wearing better than me! and Aunt May seems to be getting younger! she looked around 80 when I was 16, so that must make her about 120 now! Ah the miracles of botox and plastic surgery eh?

What next? well definitely not Ultimate Spider-man, theres only one spidey for me (maybe two with Superior) Theres a ton more spidey spinoff comics I havent read yet, dont know if I can get my head round reading those earlier timelines again out of context, there was a lot of the Amazing timeline I haven't read due to the 'as seen in Peter Parker Spider-man or whatever spinoff' money spinning crap from marvel, its even worse nowadays, I'm struggling to keep it all lined up in Spider-Verse, I wish they'd keep it all in one comic. I dont know if I want to do another mega read - it took me about 22 months alongside of my other regular comics, but I always read at least 10 spider-man comics a week, usually on a Sunday night with a glass of red wine by my side. Think I'll give the brain s rest and read a few Crossed!
Anybody else doing mammoth reads like this? Lets have some feedback.
Steve
Last Edit: 2 years 7 months ago by startreksteve.

Catching up on Spider-man since I was 16! 2 years 7 months ago #41699

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Congratulations :) it was quite a feat.

I have my Marvel lined up in three separate pull lists: this week's, from the beginning and from the time i stopped reading the Brazilian monthly versions (that had 3 american comics in each).

To avoid getting bored, i usually skip around a lot. Read a few from the early years, then a couple of story arcs from 96->, and i keep the weekly releases at hand. I already did this when 25 years ago, so it's not really hard to keep track of the characters at different points in my head.

The differences in tone, especially, are amazing. You can tell from which decade a given comic is from even without looking at the cover or number. You have the gritting teeth 90's, the psychedelic 70's, the dark and gloom of the 80s.

I don't read a single character or book, i try to follow the arcs even when they jump across multiple titles, to provide context. Lots of stories have the "as seen in so and so book", and i actually follow those. I have a soft spot for Jim Starlin's cosmic stuff from the 70s (Thanos, Warlock, Avengers) and those are pretty massive by themselves, so there's always something related to read.

I have already accepted i'll never finish it, but i'm happy to try.

fK
Time to create page: 0.176 seconds

Who's Online

We have 243 guests and 5 members online