Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the Marvel Universe

Poll: If you were able to time-travel, what would you do?

Change the past 9 81.8%
Change the future No votes 0%
I don't have time for this, I've to go to the loo 2 18.2%
Total number of voters: 11 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing!

'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33351

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I have to admit it that of the various 'events' that I have seen over the years, Marvel's current 'Age of Ultron' has left me quite impressed so far. It is an 'Elseworlds' story, with no lasting consequence on the present continuity. While I don't like such books (Flashpoint, I'm looking at you), this one is so enjoyable, and the threat so real that I've read every single issue so far and it has been very entertaining. :)

The question is, to prevent the present catastrophe, whether the heroes should change the past, or the future? The question is also up for you in the poll.

Oh, man, time travel is a huge trope for the deep thinkers! The infamous “go back in time in kill Hitler” question is still debated in classrooms to this day and bandied about online forums. It’s huge temptation to think that, by changing a single thing about our past, we could create a brighter future, whether that’s saving 11 million people or simply knowing where we put our keys in the morning. It’s something we can comfortably wonder about because no one on Earth is capable of actually traveling through time to change anything.

Comics, on the other hand, can and often do. There are time-travel powers, devices, plot elements … it’s a fun topic to explore, and so our heroes jump into the time stream with little time for debate or even a basic plan. This creates the action and adventure we came to read and allows the creative team to test out a variety of scenarios for our entertainment and enlightenment. We debate, but fiction can act.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33352

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I really have to say with all the intervened events I kind of gave up on the DC/Marvel stuff and switched over to some nice stand-on-your-own-feet indie comics.

I think Kirkman does some nice things with Image now and there are stories that bring back some sense of wonder (like this).

But elseworld always sounds nice :)

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33358

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Flashpoint was awesome... but not on the wallet. Anyways, yeah, I haven't even gotten around to reading AvX yet although I did keep up with Spider-Man.

For the new stuff I mostly buy Image, Ultimate Comics, a few new 52, and a mix of a bunch of indies.

If anyone's looking into starting out in comics you can't go wrong with anything by Image or Zenescope one thing cool with Image (at least for the last 10 years or so) is that when they do "crossovers" they don't count in the other comic. ---- Don't even mention Image United though.

**OMG! Am I a troll? This comment is way off topic but I'm going to post it anyways.

**edit oh, I left out the Buffy & Angel comics, those are awesome too...
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33370

• 600WPMPO

Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33375

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
600WPMPO wrote:
no lasting consequence on the present continuity

It's worth noting that, while it's very clearly an Elseworlds-style story and we're not going to get left with the status quo as it stands at the current issues, they've been very clear and upfront the whole time that this will have major lasting effects on the continuity (think House of M).

Personally, I like it just fine, but I think it's taken waaay too long for anything interesting to actually happen. The ending should be great, though.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33381

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I don't care if this is within continuity or will have lasting effects, but I have to admit I am enjoying a lot as an standalone read!!! Real fun, well written, I am loving it, which is much to say from an old marvelite that had ceased to believe.

That said, Bryan Hitch is going the same way many pencillers were before him... down!!!!! He looks tired and a small resemblance of what he was to be, but, hey, that's life!

On a side note, I am also loving the All New X-Men... fresh air coming in!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33385

• 600WPMPO
perezmu wrote:
Real fun, well written, I am loving it, which is much to say from an old marvelite that had ceased to believe.
Exactly my sentiments perezmu! :)

perezmu wrote:
I am enjoying a lot as an standalone read..
Among the tie-ins, you can read the AU issues of Fantastic Four & Wolverine & the X-Men, or you'll miss gems like this:

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33386

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
The second tie-in issue for Avengers Assemble (the one with Captain Marvel, last week's issue) was really REALLY awesome as well.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33388

• 600WPMPO
Shinrai wrote:
The second tie-in issue for Avengers Assemble (the one with Captain Marvel, last week's issue) was really REALLY awesome as well.
Oh...I was actually reading that one late at night yesterday, but then sleep took over & I switched off the iPad midway through the book. I think, following your recommendation, I'll read that properly tonight.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 4 months ago #33428

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Im loving it, but its a nightmare to find out which issues to get to maintain the continuity. I think I'll read it at 600WPMPO's house when I'm round there this weekend!

Steve
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by startreksteve.
Time to create page: 0.366 seconds

Who's Online

We have 245 guests and 5 members online