Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the Marvel Universe

Poll: If you were able to time-travel, what would you do?

Change the past 9 81.8%
Change the future No votes 0%
I don't have time for this, I've to go to the loo 2 18.2%
Total number of voters: 11 See more
Only registered users can participate to this poll

TOPIC: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing!

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 6 months ago #33438

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Just read issue #8 today & I'm seriously doubting if this will end gracefully. Too much inconsequential stuff here. Read this from IGN:
If you thought Age of Ultron's pacing woes were behind it now that our heroes have left their own timeline behind, guess again. Though the plot managed to gather steam around the midway mark, issue #7 derailed much of that momentum by lingering too long in the new Bizarro reality created by Wolverine and Invisible Woman. As entertaining as it always is to see alternate universe takes on familiar Marvel heroes, this new setting seemed to have little to do with the overarching Ultron conflict.
startreksteve wrote:
I think I'll read it at 600WPMPO's house when I'm round there this weekend!
Now that everybody knows you are coming, they all will come & we'll have a ComicRack convention! :laugh:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 6 months ago #33443

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Best get the beers in mate!

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 6 months ago #33445

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I felt the same way after reading #8...it was fun, and this alternate world is really interesting, but they haven't even STARTED wrapping things up yet. I really couldn't care about the cliffhanger ending either, because it couldn't be less consequential if they tried...
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34689

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I just finished the last issue (#10) & I don't know whether what I read was mind-blowing or dog-shit. I've never felt so confused in deciding whether the book I just read was good or not. I think I'll have to sleep over it, and then in the morning, enlightenment will ensue. :P

Anyone else read this? :unsure:

Edit: Thinking about it, how is this conceptually any different from DC's Flashpoint? Basically, the bloody time-space continuum (whatever that means) is conveniently broken, so that older characters can be reintroduced and more crossover mayhem is possible.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34700

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I think Bendis was trying something different in terms of story structure with this one, and while it wasn't perfect it was at least interesting and I have to give him credit for trying. The actual content and results turned out to be a bit underwhelming.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34768

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
OMFG!
They blew up the Universe!
Damn you!
Damn you all to Hell!!!!!

Good, but a bit of a predictable copout really, I enjoyed the ride, but hmm, ending seemed a bit rushed.
Steve

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34780

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I think this is a very interesting series, and it is representative of the new way that Marvel are handling the big events. Instead of telling a self contained story that wraps things up and ultimately could have been a graphic novel, this and AvX both explore a major event taking place and then the rest of the main line spins off of it in interesting ways that can be individually explored. It started in the way they handled Civil War and Fear Itself, but they hadn't quite worked it out then.

AvX caught a lot of flak for not having much happen, and everyone jumped on the "decompressed" band wagon, but if you read around the whole event and are currently reading the X-books, the story and the consequences are still echoing around the Marvel Universe. Look at the outstanding X-Men Legacy for example. And the current unstable status quo of Cyclops et. al.

Age of Ultron is going to reverbarate throughout the line, it isn't just about stirring up the pot of alternative universes, it feels like a plan to help tie the various strands together in to a more unified whole.

Go back to Avengers 12.1 for example, and you can see how long ago some of these events actually happened, and how much of the current Avengers material is actually linked to this storyline. So many people moan or complain about Marvel's continuity, but the truth is when the fans ask the questions it is usually in the middle of the action, and they feel unable to comment because it would spoil the larger picture. Everyone was saying "when is this happening" and the answer was "you will be able to work that out at the end of the run", and now we can.

So now we realise it was happening concurrently with much of the current material, but based off of a change in continuity way back in the Avengers run, and that stuff had already happened in the main run because for instance there has been a whole head of Ultron story since then, and we see that removed here. This is also why the continuum is so strained: events happen now that are too awful, go back to the origin of the events and change them, come back and things are still awful, revisit and change tack which alters events between the two times and results in the world that we now know (which incidentally, if we had been paying attention is falling apart). This isn't your standard reset button.

So they didn't just break the universe, it started breaking some time ago, (A 12.1) and the cracks are now starting to become more apparent. It is very clever, and rewarding to the reader that has been following for some time. This is what Bendis is good at, long term planning and exploring consequences by zooming into the character moments.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34784

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
So for example, now we see more context for the outrage after Beast drags the old X-Men to the present. And possibly more context for why he did it in the first place.

We can get a better understanding as to why the Apocalypse Twins in Uncanny Avengers are running around and how that all ties into alternative universes. The new angle of seven prime timelines is a further exploration of how a damaged and perhaps more malleable space-time can play into grand plans.

We perhaps get to see what the incomplete White Event stuff from Avengers is all about, and this also ties into the Uncanny Avengers plan.

The New Avengers run is apparently concerned with a much older collapse of universes, but now that we know AoU has meddled with such a wide scope of time, has the tampering with Pym possibly set this in motion as well? Is it a coincidence that the first incursion looked very much like the world from House of M, perhaps hinting that the alternative universes we know will start to fold into each other?

There are probably many more repercussions that I havn't picked up on. I don't tend to read much of the Ultimate stuff, and I have yet to catch up with all of the Apocalypse stuff, but these things are definitely in the mix.
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by jkthemac.

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34792

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
... And how do we know the Universe we regard as the 'original' first one really is?

Re: 'Age of Ultron' is amazing! 4 years 5 months ago #34797

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
[quote="jkthemac" post=34784The new angle of seven prime timelines is a further exploration of how a damaged and perhaps more malleable space-time can play into grand plans.[/quote]

This can (will?) get out of hand so fast that it will take, say, exactly what DC had to do with the original Crisis to fix, that is, merge everything back together.

On a side note, i'm still waiting for an explanation of how characters like Cap, Spider man, Iron Man, Wolverine, Thor, manage to be on their own adventures, which span years(!) in a single arc, and still manage to be in 5 or 6 different teams at the same time. I know it's to milk the money cow, but it still is a bit convoluted. Would be nice to have one team per timeline to explain it.

fK
Time to create page: 0.234 seconds

Who's Online

We have 222 guests and 3 members online