Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the Marvel Universe
  • Page:

TOPIC: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start)

What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33473

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
Ok so a bit of info starting out:
I have over 10k Marvel comics (that's not including ultimate marvel, which I have but doesn't apply to this topic).
I have pretty much every issue of all of the "core" series (every marvel on dvd that was released) and a ton of other stuff.
I found these 2 reading orders from the same site: essential and full. Which seem to be pretty extensive up through mid 1990 where it currently stops.

Now for my dilemma:
I'm not sure if I should go by the essential order, the full order, or neither.
It appears that I have almost everything in the full list from '61 to '70, except for Marvel Super-Heroes. After that I just gave up checking for the moment and decided to post this.

I'm sure if I go by the full order I'll be missing more than a few issues which I may or may not be able to track down. I would probably have an aneurysm if I read the full order for over a thousand issues only to find I couldn't see it through. Obviously I would finish going through and finding out what I missing before I started reading, but.. is it worth it? Should I just track down the few I'm missing between 1961 and 1990 for the essential, or do I try to track down everything in the full list? Or do I go with option 3, and just read everything in my marvel list sorted by published?

I'm beginning to wonder if I should even bother trying to read this stuff in order, but I just can't see myself doing it any other way. So that said, any opinions anyone has on this would be greatly appreciated, even if its something totally different than any of my ideas. I'm just at a loss and I have no idea what to do to get started.

EDIT: This was the best place I could think of to post this, so if it should be somewhere else I apologize in advance.
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by wojosama.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33475

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Wow. This is quite complicated.

There are so many books and stories that each person will give you different answers, and none will be "more" right than any other.

Personally, i'd go for the stories that are still referenced today. For example, the Thanos/warlock story line of the late 60's/70's is still quoted today (for example, this summer's Infinity is related). That's a good 50 or so books right there, and touches lots of characters.(Besides, it's from Jim Starlin, the granddaddy of all things cosmic at the house of ideas).

From the same time, Iron Man's descent into alcohol (don't recall the storyline name, but its around the issues that also intersect the thanos story line above).

Then the avengers/defenders arc is a classic, as is the Swordsman/Mantis time in avengers. Also from the early 70s.

There are some good books in spider man around this time too, with classic characters as Captain Stacy and Osborn's Green Goblin.

X-Men has pretty decent stories, specially the Dark Phoenix saga. It's a basis for, well, almost everything else that happened since. Be sure to don't miss it, as well as days of future past in the early 80's.

All the fantastic four/inhumans stories are good and serve as basis for the current status quo of the inhuman, and to more recent evens such as the War of Kings of a couple of years ago.

I'd start with those, and pick up all the references they bring up while reading, since the Marvel U at the time was much more closely knit than today, and stories made references to many other issues.

Again, those are the ones i'd pick. Others will have other valid opinions.

Take care that, those stories, are much more "wordy" than today. You'll have big walls of text to read :). That may or may not be to your liking.

fK
Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by forkicks.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33476

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I agree with forkicks in that stories that are referenced today are more 'worth' reading.

However, I have serious doubts as to whether any person can read that much back to back and still maintain his sanity. I find time hard to come for even reading the zero days & a few other comics here & there, and here you are offering to read through the entire 60's & 70's & whatnot. :silly:

But then, as the forkickian monster already noted, this is all so subjective that no opinion can be correct or incorrect. So, happy reading! :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33486

• riddlemethis
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Hi,
If you have the Marvel gitcorp sets, it's pretty easy to read chronologically until the 80's. The stories are mostly self contained, no cross-overs, etc. The problem is that there are a LOT of bad issues in that early period. The stories are repetitive as well.

In the 80's and 90's, you run into problems as the crossovers start along with things like Secret Wars, etc. The 90's are where the glut really starts as you get multiple series for each team, different versions, etc. The X-Men were a really bad culprit here as over exposure really hurt the comic market.

Where to start then? I lean heavily to certain publication periods and try to read story lines in that era. I get used to a certain art style mostly. For X-Men, I like to read in order...at least for Uncanny which is the Gitcorp dvd Marvel published which is what I have. If you dont have the sister titles like X-Fact/New Mutants, you might miss some stuff in the events but not much. I can usually fill what I don't have by going through my paper or hitting the store.

It's hard to beat a good single title run in my opinion. I have TMNT Ultimate Collections in hardback and it's nice to just read those stories and not have to worry about what's going on outside the main title.

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33488

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
I'd suggest browsing the Reading Lists forum threads and download everything that looks interesting to you. From there you can organize those lists into either chronological order or by teams as well.

Then read the ones that look interesting first. You can always stop in between lists and read the series issues to fill in the gaps.

There were very few cross over storylines between the main 4 categories (Avengers, FF, Spider-Man, and X-Men) from the 90s and earlier so they don't really need to be read all at the same time. Honestly, it's hard to make it through more then two or three Marvel comics from the 60s and 70s because they were pretty much written only for young boys to read.

One other suggestion, if you're just want to re-cap the history before starting a certain storyline, every few years Marvel printed random history re-cap and encyclopedia comics as well.

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33489

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
... However, I have serious doubts as to whether any person can read that much back to back and still maintain his sanity. I find time hard to come for even reading the zero days & a few other comics here & there, and here you are offering to read through the entire 60's & 70's & whatnot. :silly: ...
I never said it would be quick! This is my 5 year plan! :P

Seriously though, I know this is a massive undertaking. I'd have to read 20 issues a day just to read the marvel I currently have in less than a year and a half, and that is just impossible.

Anyhow, back to topic. Thank you guys very much for all the advice and suggestions. Trying to figure out where to start when you're dealing with 50 years of issues is a bit overwhelming. The main thing I'm seeing is that I need to realize that there's just no possible way for me to read EVERY issue I have, let alone the ones I'd still need to get. So thank you all, I think I finally know where I'm going to start.

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33494

• 600WPMPO
wojosama wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
... However, I have serious doubts as to whether any person can read that much back to back and still maintain his sanity. I find time hard to come for even reading the zero days & a few other comics here & there, and here you are offering to read through the entire 60's & 70's & whatnot. :silly: ...
I never said it would be quick! This is my 5 year plan! :P

Seriously though, I know this is a massive undertaking. I'd have to read 20 issues a day just to read the marvel I currently have in less than a year and a half, and that is just impossible.

Read what I said 1 year back to understand me better:
600WPMPO wrote:
These days, I don't get much time for anything (and it is not going to get any better in the future), still I manage to read (enjoyably & thoroughly read) about 5 comics in a day (1 comic = about 25-30 pages). Over a period of time, I have discovered that I can not read more than 10 comics in a day, no matter how much time I get. Now this excludes exceptional days, like when I read my first TPB (in print, not on ComicRack) of Garth Ennis' masterpiece Preacher, it was so absorbing that I read it back to back in an hour. They don't write such great books these days.

So, with 10 comics per day, I can read about 3650 comics in a year, lets say max 4000.

And to read my current library strength of more than 16,000, I would need about 4 years.

I won't be sitting idle though, and surely new books will come in the library. But, I don't think reading this much is impossible. So, lets give an additional (maximum) 3 years when I'll reach a 'utopian' stage of having read all, and then I would only read new books as they are published every week, till I die.

So, with this scenario, I would need around 7 years to reach the utopian stage. If, however, instead of 10, I read only 5 comics per day, this would take about 14 years. I'll be in my mid-to-late-forties by then. I think I'll live happily till 75-80 (till I develop some weird illness that limits my comic-reading capabilities), so from the mid-forties to the mid-seventies, I have 30 years to enjoy comics 'as they come'.

However, I'll also need to re-read all the '4-stars-and-above' comics once more before I die. Maybe, I'll get more time when I get old. :)

Last Edit: 4 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33506

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
I definitely did misunderstand, thank you for re posting that. Makes it clear that you're a man after my own heart! It's good to know I'm not alone, not just in thinking that far ahead, but also in actually doing the math lol.

Maybe I will read all of what I have in order and just not worry about what I don't have. Also, I don't need to read them straight through. After all, there's plenty of other comics in my library to break up the monotony. I'm in no rush and I don't need to read them in any set amount of time. They aren't going anywhere, and neither am I!

I knew when I asked about this that there was no right answer, and I was mainly looking for opinions, and you all definitely delivered. More than I could have hoped for actually. Thanks to you guys I know what to look forward to, so if I do get bored or tired of a series, and decide to skip ahead, I know what to look for.
Also, on an unrelated note, I think I'd like to start participating in the reading club. I've kept my eye on it since I started lurking here, but I think its high timed I joined it. If you'll have me that is.

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 4 months ago #33507

• 600WPMPO
wojosama wrote:
Also, on an unrelated note, I think I'd like to start participating in the reading club. I've kept my eye on it since I started lurking here, but I think its high timed I joined it. If you'll have me that is.
I will be highly grateful if you could be the host for the coming fortnight (beginning this Sunday). You have to post a book by Monday 20th May 2013. You can look at the previous reading clubs to see the format.:)

Re: What to do? (I have too much marvel, don't know where to start) 4 years 3 weeks ago #36463

• necrochaos
  • Fresh Boarder
I'm pretty new to this, but I'm doing this:

Days of Future Past (getting ready for the next X-Men movie)
Phoenix Saga (because it's important to the entire story)

Then skipping to

Avengers vs X-Men which moves things into the newish MARVEL NOW! time period.

Then moving onto all of the Ultimates. (Starting with the Ultimates 1 and 2 collection)

I find the 60s and 70s to be a bit cheesy for me.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.222 seconds

Who's Online

We have 235 guests and 5 members online