Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the Marvel Universe
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2

TOPIC: Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ?

Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6280

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232
One of the few comics that I simply can't stand these days is the ongoing Hulk series by Jeph Loeb. I have read pretty much every hulk comic, and now this abomination makes a mockery of what hulk once was.
Why the Red Hulk sucks:

1) Multiple issues promising to reveal 'the truth' about the Red Hulk have come and gone without anyone having any clue who he is, still.

2) He's as strong as the Hulk! Only he's smart! An' radioactive! An' he uses a gun! An' he'll beat up anyone! ...yeah, sounds like something a 14 year old boy would come up with, dunnit?

3) The whole series has been less 'a coherent story' and more 'a series of supposedly-cool moments all strung together with almost no coherent connection from one to the other.'

DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
I'm still curious to hear why you don't care for the Red Hulk storyline?
Here are a few comments from people around the world who feel likewise. Instead of writing my own, I am quoting them, as not only they have better literary skills than me, but also the fact that I agree with them word for word.



From IGN:
I really, really wish I could do what the thousands and thousands of Hulk fans seem capable of doing, which is dismissing the book's many faults and accepting it as simple, dumb fun. Hulk is both simple and dumb, but in the fun department I find it sorely lacking. I demand a certain level of storytelling logic and emotional resonance in my comics, regardless of what area of my brain they strive to appeal to. There's stupid fun, and then there's Hulk.

Red Hulk is a terrible, terrible character without an ounce of depth. Green Hulk is a pale shadow of his recent self that takes a gamma-irradiated dump on all the good work that writers like Peter David and Greg Pak have done. You can call Hulk simple, stupid fun, but I've yet to discover where the fun is.

From Daily Skew:
The Good
    I saw the word “Conclusion” in the title.
The Bad
    No Conclusion here.
    Just more of the same: Random betrayals, random battles, one-liners, nothing revealed. Who is Rulk? Who is She-Rulk? (By the way, without the whole “Who is Red Hulk” marketing campaign, this comic book would get no Internet coverage.)
    Rulk is a good guy now. Yup. Seems like he wants to clean up this country since Green Hulk declared war on the world in the World War Hulk storyline from a few years ago. The fact that Rulk crippled, destroyed, and murdered in the previous issues is kinda forgotten now.
    Took 5 minutes to read, but would have taken 3 minutes if not so wordy. Jeph Loeb pulled an Obama this time: a whole lot was said, but in the end, nothing was said. Did the plot advance? What is the plot?

From RPG:
Sidestepping the character himself, it has been horrible writing-wise:

A continuous string of pretty much random events, particularly of Rulk showing how 'awesome' he is by beating his way through the MU while having an annoying full-of-it for a personality. Then out-of-the-blue he becomes a victim & the reader should supposedly now at least feel some pity for him or something.

And Loeb refusing to deliver anything in the way of revelations, in fact just opting-out from the point where it seems it was planned to be shown who Rulk was for an dragging of the unnecessary mystery. Or the constant irritating inner-monologue from Rulk. Or Doc Sampson having a mustache-twirling heel turn. Or everyone (Rulk, She-Rulk, Sampson, General Ross, etc.) being presenting themselves as master manipulators. Or Rulk losing to Wolverine after beating up Thor & IM.

So, what do you guys think about this ?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6281

Good to know, I guess. I'm enjoying the ride, but it definitely is inconsistent and seems like a lot of "wouldn't it be cool if" moments and, as you say, dumb fun. But that's Marvel in a nutshell, I've always found, so it's just what I've come to expect from them. I've never really cared about the Hulk, so I guess I don't take it as personally as others.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6292

  • Shinrai
  • Shinrai's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Posts: 885
  • Thank you received: 81
  • Karma: 33
Hulk's gone way downhill with all this garbage...and I'm not convinced the big reveal at the end will make it worthwhile. I like to pretend those books don't exist post-World War Hulk and live in my happy little world with only the core title. Wherein, of course, we had Hercules, not Hulk.

On that note, I am totally ready to read Prince of Power.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6311

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232


Someone must also put a 'Classified' mark on the Rulk's ruddy face too, so that we are spared the agony :angry:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6319

600WPMPO wrote:
Someone must also put a 'Classified' mark on the Rulk's ruddy face too, so that we are spared the agony :angry:

You really hate this thing that much? This is starting to become a one-sided flamewar :lol: :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6321

  • kisa360
  • kisa360's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 31
  • Karma: 1
Whats not to like he is red. Red is so much nicer than green.

Seriously though I haven't read any comics in a while I have been to busy trying to organize them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 7 months ago #6322

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
Someone must also put a 'Classified' mark on the Rulk's ruddy face too, so that we are spared the agony

You really hate this thing that much? This is starting to become a one-sided flamewar

sorry DouglasBubbletrousers, I got a bit carried away. :(
Here is a comic book moment that express my feelings at this time:


kisa360 wrote:
Seriously though I haven't read any comics in a while I have been to busy trying to organize them.

Now, this is bad ! Read them fast kisa360. Life is short; one day we die and new comics will still go on getting published. So, read them as much as you can. Leave organizing them to ComicRack ! :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 5 months ago #7317

The only reason I dislike Rulk is because I have spent years reading Hulk comics, he's my favourite marvel character. The reason I like (or should I say liked) Hulk is because of his ability to pwn anything. I liked Hulk for his immense abilities and the way he was effectively a WMD who few could even last 30 seconds against. Unlike with other characters; I didn't care much for Hulk's personality, although he did say some good one liners when fighting, and I didn't care about banner either, I don't particularly like him. I just liked Hulk for his limitless abilities. But then along comes Rulk, who is in the comics for about 5 seconds before he reveals himself as far more a powerful character than Hulk and other beefs such as Thor. Suddenly everything I liked Hulk for is suddenly overwritten as he is no longer the unstoppable powerhouse that I knew him for. There is now a much beefier one that takes out him and many others effortlessly even when they group up on him!! It would be like putting someone in the Deadpool comics who constantly outwitted him with funny little comments, it just p**ses you off because the character is no longer the best at what you loved them for. Plus now it's made even worse that Banner no longer becomes Hulk, WHAT TYPE OF T**T WRITER WOULD SUDDENLY GET RID OF A LEDGENDARY CHARACTER? It's not even like Hulk is an unpopular character. The good news is, though, that Jeph Loeb has announced that he will be killing off Red Hulk. Hopefully he will also be giving Banner his powers back, since Red Hulk absorbed all of his gamma radiation, and we could possibly even see an improved Hulk (perhaps with Rulk's ability to absorb energy - OHH PLEASE YES!!!) and then we can watch as it all gets back to normal and Hulk goes wild PWNING EVERTHING AND EVERYONE!!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 5 months ago #7320

  • lanzajr26
  • lanzajr26's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 165
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 2
Oh man, this is really a post after my own heart. I tried to slog through the last few issues of Hulk and finally decided I can't waste any more of my time on this drivel.

Hulk was enjoyable for the first 10 issues, after that it's been a ridiculous mess. The "mystery" of Rulk has gone way past boring and is just tedious and irritating now. It doesn't help that they've got Ian Churchill drawing in a style that is no match for Ed McGuinniss, but makes the book look like a bad Saturday morning Cartoon.

Because of this book, I have absolutely no interest in World War Hulks or anything associated with Rulk, She-Rulk, Son of Hulk, etc. Planet Hulk was such an excellent, epic storyline, followed by an enjoyable action-flick style World War Hulk, that to see the character reduced to such pointlessness is sad. Maybe they can wipe the slate clean after World War Hulks and get back to great Hulk/Bruce Banner stories.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Why do I hate the Hulk (Rulk) ? 7 years 2 months ago #9000

  • Shinrai
  • Shinrai's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Posts: 885
  • Thank you received: 81
  • Karma: 33
So, today at SDCC they announced he is going to be on the AVENGERS.

I am sad.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
  • 1
  • 2
Time to create page: 0.317 seconds

Who's Online

We have 176 guests and 4 members online