Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the DC Universe

TOPIC: Before Watchmen

Before Watchmen 5 years 8 months ago #20642

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
www.nytimes.com/2012/02/01/books/dc-comi...watchmen-series.html

Watchmen is one of my all time favorites. It was the one that showed me what comics can do.

We all know that Moore was screwed by DC big time (this seems the way these copyright holders fight for the rights of the artist - see Marvel and Kirby).

I would be very happy, if for once an iconic creation would be left alone. But I also know that I'm too much of a geek to not read the new "Before" stories.

What are your thoughts? Will it destroy Rorschach like the Star Wars prequel destroyed Vader? Or will the world be a better place with stories never meant to be told :-)
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by cYo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 8 months ago #20651

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
When I first started reading comics in the 90s I wasn't into the more realistic fantasy themes of Watchmen. Years later though, as I matured mentally, I developed a major liking to this series. WHen the movie came out, my love for this series (as well as Alan Moore's V For Vendetta) grew even more for how much the director and writers stayed fairly true to the original work. It showed how much the story is well respected within the industry. I do see Alan Moore's point of view of it it's not broke, don't fix it...just leave well enough alone. However, I am quite curious to see how they handle these new stories. Though, I must admit that I'm way more interested in future stories than prequel stories. Either way, I hope they don't tarnish the original work with stories that aren't well fleshed out and artwork that is sub par.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 8 months ago #20661

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
cYo wrote:
What are your thoughts? Will it destroy Rorschach like the Star Wars prequel destroyed Vader? Or will the world be a better place with stories never meant to be told :-)

Just like Mark Millar, I feel that this is unnecessary, but I also feel that it would be interesting. True, this is another money-making move from DC, but this is also a very, very ambitious and bold project, as this would be directly compared to Watchmen. Even if this achieves 50% of what Watchmen is, it would become a legend in its own self. However, I don't see anything ever come close to Watchmen & Preacher, my top 2 favorites.

In any case, we have to read this, whether we love it or loathe it. That is what DC is counting on, and will probably succeed at. :P

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 8 months ago #20662

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I agree with Tom Brevoort - it doesn't matter if it's creatively a good idea or not, financially it is 100% the right decision and they should have done it a looong time ago.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23169

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23274

• 600WPMPO
I just finished reading Before Watchmen: Minutemen #1. :)

This is a good book, and brings back fond memories of the days when I had read Moore's Watchmen. The first 2 pages of this book are epic, and equal to the quality of work we saw in Watchmen. The rest is a big info dump, but it still works, as this is a comic version of the Nite Owl's autobiography: 'Unde the hood'.

I really look forward to reading these books over the next 5 months as soon as they are released. These may not be as good as Watchmen, but judging by the first book, these would be miles better than the horrible loads of contemporary shit that books like 'Avengers vs. X-Men' are.

I would give this a 3.5 out of 5.

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23276

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600WPMPO wrote:
Good to know buddy...if you give it a thumbs up, then I'll mos def be adding this to my "to read" pile.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23297

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
oraclexview wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
Good to know buddy...if you give it a thumbs up, then I'll mos def be adding this to my "to read" pile.

I am with 600 on this. I had a hard time deciding myself to go and read it, but good critics and Darwin Crooke on it were good pointers. I usually love Crooke's work (go read Catwoman or his take on classic JSA, The New Frontier). So, it was a good read (started awesome, then came down a little). It is not Watchmen, but it is a good comic. I am sure there will be many worse comic in the Before Watchmen label...

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23302

• 600WPMPO
perezmu wrote:
...I am sure there will be many worse comic in the Before Watchmen label...
I am highly anticipating the Before Watchmen: Rorschach & Comedian issues. These are written by Brian Azzarello. Remember the batman mini he wrote for Flashpoint? That was good. I hope he does Watchmen even better than that.

p.s. I read the first trade of his masterpiece 100 bullets & didn't like it. I read his run on Wonder Woman & didn't like it.

Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23310

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I also have to say this was a surprisingly good start to the event.

REALLY looking forward to Amanda Conner doing Silk Spectre, though...that can't come out soon enough.
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Who's Online

We have 213 guests and 4 members online