Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the DC Universe

TOPIC: Before Watchmen

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23396

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
This week we get the Silk Spectre #1.

If this book would not be having the 'Watchmen' tag, I'd have stopped reading it mid-way. When I do such a thing, this means an absolute disrespect for that book. For this, the book has to be either totally incomprehensible or completely predictable. Silk Spectre #1is the latter. This is a girly book, with tiny cartoons at a few places that depict the teenage mind of our heroine. What am I reading? A serious Archie book? :angry:

Not all is bad, though. The first 2-3 pages are the best, both with regards to the art and the words. The book largely follows the typical '9 panel a page' style, reminiscent of Watchmen. The art is the cleanest I have seen in a long time, the emotions well-depicted.

I would give this a maximum of 1.5 out of 5, for desecrating the Watchmen name in the most mundane fashion.

Next week is the Comedian. I just hope they don't murder it like they did this week.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23414

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
As the great Edward Blake said "This is a joke. This is all a joke."

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23423

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Just read the Silk Spectre one, it keeps the dark feel.... very good, but too short!

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23443

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I have to agree with Steve here; I really liked Silk Spectre, but I am a sucker for Amanda Connor anyway (ALL I WANT FOR CHRISTMAS IS A DAN SLOTT/AMANDA CONNOR SHE-HULK BOOK D:) and the Watchmen-style 9 panel layout sealed the deal. Cooke's writing is as good as ever and I thought the tone was perfect.

(I will say, 600, that the 'OH GOD I AM A TEENAGE GIRL SO I AM IMAGINING RIDICULOUS THINGS IN MY BRAIN' was a bit jarring stylistically, but there wasn't that much of it.)

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23470

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Based on it's own merits, I'd finish reading this comic but probably wouldn't continue reading the series. If I was reading it with a WWAMD (What would Alan Moore do?) mentality, I'd be thoroughly disappointed and probably burn some blank paper symbolising the book, delete the file, and conduct some sort of paganistic ritual in order to cleanse and restore balance. Luckily I don't do much in a WWAMD mentality.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23473

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
I haven't read either of the books that have come out thus far. Are they really that much of a let down when stacked up against the original classic?

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23474

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
oraclexview wrote:
I haven't read either of the books that have come out thus far. Are they really that much of a let down when stacked up against the original classic?
The first one (Minutemen) was quite good. Almost everyone liked it.

The second one (Silk Spectre) has got varying reviews. People like me & Trask didn't like it one bit, while Shinrai & startreksteve liked it very much.

It is not a question whether you should read or not. There is no choice. We have to read them. It is our moral duty to do so, in the honor of Watchmen. :laugh:

I suggest you read both, and catch up with us as we discuss every book here. Coming this Wednesday/Thursday is the Comedian. Everyone is anticipating it. I just just hope it is good, and does justice to a great character.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The following user(s) said Thank You: startreksteve

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23475

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
It is not a question whether you should read or not. There is no choice. We have to read them. It is our moral duty to do so, in the honor of Watchmen. :laugh:

I suggest you read both, and catch up with us as we discuss every book here.
I guess when you put it like this, how could I not do my part? Creating a smart list for these books right after I post this. B)

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23491

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
OK, so I finally set some time aside to read Minutemen and both of the stories weren't bad...not bad at all. The artwork on the main story was lacking that realistic dark tone of Gibbons' that defined the original Watchmen so well. The art wasn't bad here, and I assume it was to give the feeling of a throwback era, however, it was missing that major ingredient that is a character of the franchise in itself. The artwork on the backup story felt suitable for the story though with only two pages to go by, you couldn't get into it enough to make a major call on this one just yet. I would have rather DC just added more pages to the book instead of just giving a few pages then it's "to be continued". Not a big deal, though, with writers taking way more panels to tell a story it always leaves me feeling shorted when reading new books.

On to the next book.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23507

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I have never read a Watchmen book or watched a Watchmen movie.

I feel ashamed to call myself a comic fan.
Time to create page: 0.226 seconds

Who's Online

We have 222 guests and 3 members online