Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the DC Universe

TOPIC: Before Watchmen

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23508

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
JaceSimian2099 wrote:
I have never read a Watchmen book or watched a Watchmen movie.

I feel ashamed to call myself a comic fan.
Thankfully your icon work gives you a pass...juuussssstttttt barely.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23510

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I do need to eventually pick those books up. I keep seeing people talk about them and have no idea what they are. Ah well. Can't be that important..

*runs and hides*

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23513

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
JaceSimian2099 wrote:
I have never read a Watchmen book or watched a Watchmen movie.
Dear Jace,

I have been looking at your icons and must say that they are awesome. But, then I looked at your post above and my heart broke into tiny pieces.

Did you really never read Watchmen? Now that's like saying you like listening to music, but never heard the Beatles, or Presley, or Springsteen, or Dylan. Or like saying that you watch movies, but never saw the Godfather, Star Wars, Shawshank Redemption, Exorcist, Terminator, ET, Titanic and what not.

Please note that whether you liked them or not is another thing entirely, but you never saw/heard/read them is, in my modest words, a crime against intelligent life on Earth. :P

There are comic books, and then there are some that made the comic world as we know it now. Books like Watchmen, Maus, Sandman, Y the last man, V for Vendetta are a few amongst a handful that are regarded ground-breaking, innovative and a foundation for the books to follow. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Ellis' Transmetropolitan, Ennis' Preacher, Vaughan's Ex Machina... these are treasures (I repeat, TREASURES!) that we, as comic readers, are just lucky to enjoy and savor.

If my calculations are correct (they almost always are), we won't live forever. And to believe people like cYo, the world may even end in the winter of 2012. So, just drop whatever you are doing, and run. Run like a crazy horse with his tail on fire. Keep running till you reach your local comic shop, and buy a hardcover of Watchmen to begin with. Read it. And then read it every now and then. You won't regret it.

Sincerely,
600 :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23514

• DarkSynopsis
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
This makes me feel bad for not having read Watchmen or reading any of those other titles... I have seen the film and the few panels I have seen of the Comic it seemed pretty close so did not seem like I would need to read the Comics but do plan to read Before Watchmen once they are all out.

So is it worth reading Watchmen even though I've seen the film? And those other titles I know I should check out... Hell I have Y The Last Man sitting on my computer just not read it yet :P
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by DarkSynopsis.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23515

• 600WPMPO
DarkSynopsis wrote:
So is it work reading Watchmen even though I've seen the film?
The movie shows the story quite nicely (although they changed a few things, most importantly the end), but it simply cannot capture the essence of the exceptionally great writing skills that Moore used at his peak.

Take, for example, chapter 4. This is a character study of Dr. Manhattan. In my entire life, I have never ever read anything better than those 30-odd pages. Lucky are those who get to read such things. :)

Here is a panel (from the first page of Chapter 4) to try get you motivated:

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23517

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
JaceSimian2099 wrote:
I do need to eventually pick those books up. I keep seeing people talk about them and have no idea what they are. Ah well. Can't be that important..

*runs and hides*
You should mos def pick the original books or the TPB up sometime. I have these beauties sitting in storage and break 'em out every blue moon. Luckily I was able to snatch them up for a steal off eBay a few years before the movie debut. And Watchmen was only as important to the comic book industry as say Michael Jackson was to the music video industry.
DarkSynopsis wrote:
So is it work reading Watchmen even though I've seen the film?
Honestly, I feel the movie was soooo good for the super-hero comic medium on film so it is mos def a must watch! Though, the comic book series was even more important for the comics industry. It showed that you could actually take super-hero characters in tights seriously within a world that seemed very plausible if they actually did exist. So if you're a person that loves reading comics, you'd be silly not to read the original Watchmen series.

on a side note, other superb comic adaptions to film are History of Violence, Road to Perdition, and Kick-Ass!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23589

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
OK, second verse, same as the first! :)

The Silk Spectre is a pretty good read from Darwyn Cooke and Connor with great artwork by Amanda Connor. Just like the Minute Men, I was following along waiting for something to jump out at me and then by the end, I was thinking...that's it? All this Before... hype plus a "M" mature rating and this is all we get? No great "mature" conversations or narrative insights. No "mature" artwork that had me feeling like I was viewing panels out of a great rated R detective story, or drama suspense, or action thriller. I felt like I was reading/viewing a watered down prequel to one of the greatest stories ever told in this industry.

I mean, let us compare these first two issues of Before... to the very first issue of Watchmen. The first issue of Watchmen started off with a dark visual tone thanks to Dave Gibbons shrouded in a gritty mystery thanks to the writing skills of Alan Moore. The dialogue between the characters made you feel like you were reading/viewing an interesting film on paper. Gibbons art wasn't cartoonish or overly realistic. It has a nice median feel to it which better sold the feel of the environment to the point where you felt like you were right there following the characters with a camera. I just re-read this issue and it still kicks ass over 90%+ of the books coming out even to this day. That says a lot for a book released over 25 years ago. Alan Moore even added pages from the book the original Night Owl wrote to better flesh out the character who even mentioned reading an issue of Action Comics #1 and it's influence on him. How awesome is that image of art referencing life referencing art.

I honestly didn't expect Before.. to stack up to Watchmen, though I did at least think it would leave other books coming out right now in the dust and it just doesn't do that. It's not hardcore or edgy enough. It's not detailed in a intricate yet subtle kind of way. All of these things give it that "mature" feel which it just has non of. I hoping these first two issues started off kind of low key and slow paced on purpose for whatever reason, and that it kicks into high octane soon. Yes, they are entertaining, yet they aren't riveting. They don't make me feel like Before... just had to be told because there was just so much more that could be reveled by exploring the past. Maybe all I'm suppose to be is entertained, and if so, then it is what it is, and shame on me for wanting and expecting more. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23591

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Dear Jace,

I have been looking at your icons and must say that they are awesome. But, then I looked at your post above and my heart broke into tiny pieces.

Awww, sorry! :D
Did you really never read Watchmen? Now that's like saying you like listening to music, but never heard the Beatles, or Presley, or Springsteen, or Dylan. Or like saying that you watch movies, but never saw the Godfather, Star Wars, Shawshank Redemption, Exorcist, Terminator, ET, Titanic and what not.

I like Beatles and Presley, not so keen in Springsteen or Dylan. I'd honestly rather listen to ACDC or Guns n Roses. Knocking on Heaven's Door for the friggin' win! Failing that, there's Aerosmith...

But that is neither here nor there since we're talking "foundational"! hah hah hah
Please note that whether you liked them or not is another thing entirely, but you never saw/heard/read them is, in my modest words, a crime against intelligent life on Earth.

Indeed, but it's tough to read everything y'know, only so many hours in a day. Godzilla is considered important for science fiction in general and monster movies in particular, but how many people have seen them all? (Granted I've seen most, with vs. Mothra being the best, but again, neither here nor there).
There are comic books, and then there are some that made the comic world as we know it now. Books like Watchmen,

Never read it.
Maus

Saw the preview blurb, thought "really? Nazi cats?" Not really into the Anthropomorphism when there are many other forms of media dealing with the atrocities during the second world war.
Sandman

Kick ass book, read from beginning to end. Great stuff. And so true to life, where you really do need to learn to change or get left behind. You have to learn and adapt, and when you decide you can't anymore, you risk having what happened to poor Morph happen to you!
Y the last man

Good, but not great, and certainly wouldn't call it ground breaking or even foundational myself, but eh, to each their own.
V for Vendetta

Hmm..seriously thinking of reading this. Probably more so than Watchmen.
are a few amongst a handful that are regarded ground-breaking, innovative and a foundation for the books to follow. Alan Moore's Swamp Thing, Ellis' Transmetropolitan, Ennis' Preacher, Vaughan's Ex Machina... these are treasures (I repeat, TREASURES!) that we, as comic readers, are just lucky to enjoy and savor.

Those are all great, but do you really consider them foundational? I mean, have they really influenced comics which came later by any significant degree?
If my calculations are correct (they almost always are), we won't live forever. And to believe people like cYo, the world may even end in the winter of 2012. So, just drop whatever you are doing, and run. Run like a crazy horse with his tail on fire. Keep running till you reach your local comic shop, and buy a hardcover of Watchmen to begin with. Read it. And then read it every now and then. You won't regret it.

I have only $0.35 in my account, so it may be a while. *sigh* Life of a minimum wage call center worker, I fear.
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by JaceSimian2099.

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23607

• 600WPMPO
This week we get The Comedian #1.

SPOILERS follow!!

All the 3 books so far have been different in terms of the tone of the book and its pacing. Minutemen was like a prologue, with vignettes for all the characters, Silk Spectre was nothing more than a straight-forwardly told character-driven story, while the Comedian is a slow-paced, but intriguing story, that gives us some action and food for thought for the first time in the 'Before Watchmen' series. The art of this book is the best among the 3 we have read so far. The covers are exceptionally good.

This book is placed in the time-frame from August 5, 1962 to November 22, 1963, and more specifically the Comedian's roles on these 2 days. I won't spoil it much for you (if you haven't guessed already), but I have to say that the Kennedy family plays a special role in this, with the Comedian depicted as their genuine friend. I really liked the second half of the book (November 22, 1963). From the great action sequence to the breaking down of the Comedian in the end, it was a great read.

This book is likely to annoy many people. From meddling with the icons of history to an almost mis-representation of the Comedian's personality, there is a lot to discuss.

So, did the Comedian kill JFK?
In the original Watchmen book, the Comedian couldn't care less about anything, so we don't know for sure.

The movie shows him specifically assassinate Kennedy.

And now, 'Before Watchmen' gives an entirely new perspective/interpretation in that not only did he not kill JFK, but also he is shocked to the core after learning about JFK's demise. This is great stuff, rewriting (fictional) history, and creating controversies! :-)

All in all, I liked this book a lot and won't hesitate to give this a 3.5 out of 5.

p.s. One thing that I didn't understand
Jacky Kennedy many-a-times reiterates that The Comedian 'LOVES' the Kennedy boys. The Comedian corrects her again & again "Respect, not love". Was the Comedian gay/bisexual?

The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: Before Watchmen 5 years 4 months ago #23608

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I agree with your assessment of this book, 600.

(Except the part about it having the best art so far; did I mention I'm a sucker for everything Amanda Conner does?)
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds

Who's Online

We have 214 guests and 5 members online