Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the DC Universe

TOPIC: DC announces 'WTF Month'

DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29440

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 231
Seriously, WTF?

The DC promotional folks have come up with a new angle to market April's comics. They're calling it "WTF Certified," announcing that all their New 52 issues in that month will "leave readers in a state of shock."



With the official logo debuting on BuzzFeed, the "WTF Certified" month was teased by seven statements from DC.

• Booster Gold reappears while an entire team disappears

• One team is trapped in a bottle while another is changed completely

• Some heroes change their colors and other change allegiances

• Pandora battles to the death

• A close encounter of The Dark Knight kind

• There's a new, old Creeper and some old New Gods.

• One hero quits, and another hero dies

DC also suggested that fans consider these seven statements while taking a closer look at a few of the comic covers for April. That month will see gatefold covers, so fans are — for now — only able to see one half of the images.

The official statement:
Every DCU title will feature the WTF certified stamp of approval this month—it’s a symbol of DC’s dedication to the retail community and to readers! And every DCU title this month has a WTF moment in it that’s going to leave readers in a state of shock!
To show just how special these stories are, the entire array of DCU titles will feature fold-out covers!
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29448

  • Stonepaw
  • Stonepaw's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 920
  • Thank you received: 267
  • Karma: 173
WTF :huh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29449

  • Madmatx
  • Madmatx's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 457
  • Thank you received: 63
  • Karma: 19
It sounds like an elaborate April Fool's joke.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29461

  • Rincewind
  • Rincewind's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 39
  • Thank you received: 1
  • Karma: 1
I see that there is no reason to say WTF for why I don't read DC comics anymore!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29462

  • Madmatx
  • Madmatx's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 457
  • Thank you received: 63
  • Karma: 19
Rincewind wrote:
I see that there is no reason to say WTF for why I don't read DC comics anymore!

Aww, come on. Part of what makes comics great is when they throw in something unpredictable.... but it seems to piss us off when we have forewarning about it through solicits because it then appears to be just a stunt. It would be better if they would just do something to surprise us then talk about it after, but that wouldn't increase the hype to buy book.

Image Comics did this just this week with
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]


Anyways, there's plenty of great New 52 books out right now.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29560

  • krandor
  • krandor's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Gold Boarder
  • Posts: 178
  • Thank you received: 13
  • Karma: 2
Madmatx wrote:
Rincewind wrote:
I see that there is no reason to say WTF for why I don't read DC comics anymore!

Aww, come on. Part of what makes comics great is when they throw in something unpredictable.... but it seems to piss us off when we have forewarning about it through solicits because it then appears to be just a stunt. It would be better if they would just do something to surprise us then talk about it after, but that wouldn't increase the hype to buy book.

Image Comics did this just this week with
Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]


Anyways, there's plenty of great New 52 books out right now.

The problem with stunts like this is it isn't really planned by the author of a paticular series. When you say "all comics in this month must do X" then even if a writer isn't planning to do X in that paticular month he has to work it in and maybe move plot forward or back just to make sure he meets the months global theme. Just makes it tough on the writers when they do this kind of thing. I don't like it when TV networks do it either - I remember one network doing "Green week" where every show was going to add in some environmental message into the plot that week.

I bet a lot of these will be WTF moments just thrown in that have little to no longer term implications and will feel "tacked on" because they probably were.

If you have a major surprise, do the surprise. If you have to plan to make sure you have a surprise in this specific month,I don't like that as much.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29562

  • Madmatx
  • Madmatx's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 457
  • Thank you received: 63
  • Karma: 19
Lol. After reading the first two lines of your comment I thought of that whole Green Week fiasco, then I read it a couple lines down...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 4 years 7 months ago #29597

  • oraclexview
  • oraclexview's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • aka SoundWave
  • Posts: 906
  • Thank you received: 182
  • Karma: 37
krandor wrote:
The problem with stunts like this is it isn't really planned by the author of a paticular series. When you say "all comics in this month must do X" then even if a writer isn't planning to do X in that paticular month he has to work it in and maybe move plot forward or back just to make sure he meets the months global theme. Just makes it tough on the writers when they do this kind of thing.
You do have a point here. If not done right, this can be a complete disaster. However, you have to also keep in mind that events like this are usually thought out well in advance, sometimes as far as 2 to 3 years before the books are actually released. So, as long as it's executed properly and thoroughly then writers have plenty of time to weave these into their stories and can sometimes even be apart of the plan all along where it was many of the writers' combined idea in the first place. You have to remember that a lot of writers at the big companies don't work in a vacuum on their title(s). They usually do round tables where they discuss ideas together to help plot out a general course for the universe as a whole so they usually have these kind of things already in mind when they write their final scripts. The times these kind of things usually go wrong is when a company is having financial issues as a whole and these event gimmicks are thought up at the last minute by non-creative employees. Only time will tell which side of the tracks this event will fall on. :)
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by oraclexview.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: DC announces 'WTF Month' 1 year 1 week ago #46142

  • tmurf
  • tmurf's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 1
  • Karma: 0
:S
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.257 seconds

Who's Online

We have 210 guests and 5 members online