Welcome, Guest
Discussions about the DC Universe
  • Page:

TOPIC: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne

Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 5 months ago #8866

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I have been unfortunate enough to read the first 3 issues of Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne. It has been simply a task to read through the pages of this series. :X

This is a 6-issue series. Here, batman appears in the following avatars in the 6 issues:
1. Caveman
2. Witch-hunter (protector, whatever..)
3. Pirate
4. Cowboy
5. Detective ?
6. Batman ?

So, basically you'll have to read through these 6 stages before Bruce re-becomes Batman in the end. The stories (so far) do not seem to be connected to each other. The art differs in each issue, so that it doesn't appear to be one cohesive series (the creators say that each issue depicts a different era, so the art is different). The dialogue put me to sleep (except for some good ones in the pirate story). After reading the first few pages, I just wished that the comic would end quickly, and I'll never want to read it gain. People are saying that a second-reading of this comic will help.

So, what is the problem ? I don't like it.
So what ? I don't like so many other comic books. So ?
The problem is that everybody else is simply loving it. Yes, Everyone. :pinch:

They see layers, heavy conceptualization, great art & story, mythology, themes, and what not. Ok, I can see a concept of a 17-th century joker & Robin, but that's it. I know that in the end Bruce will become Batman. The only thing remains is to see how he becomes batman. That "how" has been made a pain in the @$$. There is no story, poor art, predictable plot... I could go on and on. Conceptualization ? That's all that matters ?

So, anybody here on the ComicRack forum who has read 'The Return of Bruce Wayne' ? Do you people too like it ? (or even worse, love it?) Does anyone agree with my opinion on this disgrace of a comic ?

Am I a poor comic reader ? Since I can not understand and appreciate a seemingly "good" comic book, should I stop reading comics altogether ? :blink:

p.s. For the record, I liked Batman R.I.P.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 5 months ago #8867

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
I've read the first two and didn't like them all that much.

I felt that the idea could have been great but it suffers from poor and confusing art as well as a confusing plot.

Comics with superheroes in non-modern times has been done better in other series. For example, Marvel 1602.

That pirate Bruce Wayne does look pretty neat though.

Re:Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 5 months ago #8868

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
As written somewhere else here already (I think in the Wonder Woman thread): It is a mess.

Grant Morrison can be pure genius (All Star Superman, DC One Million, Invisibles, his JLA run, his New X Men run). But sometimes he has the tendency to just smoke too much before he pens his stuff (e.g. Seven Soldiers, We3 and his latest Batman outing).

And the thing with Morrison's bad stuff is: he makes you feel guilty not liking it. With all the references and references of references you get the feeling you SHOULD like it.

But as grandma said: if it smells bad, it almost always is :)
Last Edit: 7 years 5 months ago by cYo.

Re:Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 5 months ago #8874

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
As written somewhere else here already (I think in the Wonder Woman thread): It is a mess.
Batman: the Mess of Bruce Wayne :laugh:

Re:Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 5 months ago #8876

• Astrophizz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I haven't read any of these but I'm guessing the 5th one is some kind of homage to Eisner's The Spirit.

Re:Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 1 month ago #10619

• 600WPMPO
It was a pleasure to read the review for BATMAN: RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #5 in the weekly crisis, a site I follow regularly for such things..

BATMAN: RETURN OF BRUCE WAYNE #5
Written by Grant Morrison
Art by Ryan Sook, Mick Gray, Pere Perez, and Joese Villarubia
Letters by Jared K. Fletcher and Travis Lanham
Cover by Andy Kubert
preRanking: 09

• Despite the fact that Bruce Wayne makes his official “return” this week in the Road Home one-shots, we are still two issues behind on Batman: Return of Bruce Wayne, which dropped its penultimate issue this week.
• In this issue, Bruce returns to Gotham City shortly after his parent’s murder and is, quite coincidentally, wrapped up in a conspiracy involving the Black Glove tainting the memory of his deceased mother.
• This is seriously one of the single worst Grant Morrison comics I’ve ever read. I know I harp on Morrison’s recent output a lot, but this issue simply fails on all levels. I know a lot of Morrisonites will tell me I just “don’t get it,” but there is simply no way around how poorly written this issue is.
• I’ve read this four times since Wednesday and with each read, I find more issues with its cohesion and clarity. Ideas are thrown against the wall in rapid succession to see what sticks (the Kane family hating Thomas Wayne, Bruce’s father not really being murdered, etc) but the end result is an incredibly muddy swarm of half-developed retcons wrapped in an underdeveloped mystery.
• The dialogue is incredibly stiff and, in many cases, completely nonsensical. When you add this to the plot holes and throwaway plot points, you have a comic that just doesn’t work.
• Kudos to Jose Villarubia for bridging the two line artists with his colors. Their styles aren’t tremendously similar, but they gel well because of the colors.
• Ryan Sook’s art is gorgeous, but painfully stiff. You can have the best designs in the world, but if your art has no energy, it falls flat.
• On the flip side, Pere Perez’s art has that energy and flow, but suffers from consistency issues and poor spot blacks.

Verdict: Avoid It. I’m sure there will be several anonymous posters that complain about me hating Morrison (which, for the last time, I don’t), but I can honestly say that every other Morrison comic I have complained about looks Eisner-worthy in comparison to this mess. This is easily the word comic I’ve seen from Morrison since the Joker prose story that should have never seen the light of day. The worst part is that Morrison could’ve phoned this story in and nailed it. Bruce Wayne would be perfect in a noir-style detective comic, but instead we get a piss poor conspiracy comic that highlights all of the ridiculous retcons that Morrison has been jamming down our throats for the last several years filled with simply horrendous dialogue. I had high hopes for this comic, but its lack of clarity, cohesion, and quality killed those.

Re: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 1 month ago #10631

• Astrophizz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 1 month ago #10633

• 600WPMPO
Astrophizz wrote: That would make our Shinrai very happy..!! :laugh:

Re: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 1 month ago #10644

• wwwescape
  • Junior Boarder
I think all of them were very good. It'll be interesting to see how they tie into the Time Masters series going on. Also 'The Road Home' one-shots have been making me eagerly wait for this story-arc to come to a conclusion as there is a hint of 2 Batmans in the DCU now... :)

Re: Batman: The Return of Bruce Wayne 7 years 1 month ago #10653

• 600WPMPO
wwwescape wrote:
...there is a hint of 2 Batmans in the DCU now... :)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.341 seconds

Who's Online

We have 225 guests and one member online