Welcome, Guest
Discussions about Comics from other Publishers
  • Page:

TOPIC: French Comics... I love em!!

French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24697

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Has anyone been reading these scanlations?
I've recently enjoyed Aldebaran, Beltegeuse, New York Resurrection, Kenya, Chimpanzee Complex, Eden by Vincent Roucher, and Arctica.
I find I can look at one page of a French comic and tell its French just by the art, dont know why, they just have a certain look about them, anybody else noticed this? Can any French afficionados recommend any other good French SciFi comics?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24701

• Ludwig
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Before the evil member of this forum replies with "Asterix and the secret weapon" :)

If you don't read french your choice is limited.
I know these were officialy published in English. Consider them as European Comics.
In line with what you read :
Antares (Leo)
Cyclops (Jacamon & Matz)
Orbital (Runberg & Pellé)

Also to consider but less.. say actionmoviedriven ..
The Incal (Alejandro Jodorowsky & Moebius)
The forever war (Joe Haldeman & Marvano)
The Metabarons (Alejandro Jodorowsky & Juan Giménez)

Older ones :
Storm (Don Lawrence)
The rise and fall of the Trigan Empire (Don Lawrence)
Valerian & Laureline (Mézières et Christin)

Maybe try to catch Heavy Metal issues.
Scanlations ? Think I already came across Carmen McCallum, Cycle de Cyann, Cryozone, Travis but not sure..

And indeed you can see a difference.
Like Manga differs from American Comics so do European Comics.
The Franco-Belge comics are the dominant pillar of EC's and that means reading in the language of Voltaire.

Got to go 'the phewn is rrrengeng!'

;)
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24717

• raf1978
  • Fresh Boarder
HI !
Ludwig gave you a lot of very good series! B)

You can also try :
- Lanfeust (1st season : "... de Troy" - 2nd : "... des Etoiles" - 3rd : "... Odyssey") and its spins-of : "Trolls de Troy "and "Cixi"
- Sillage
- Les chroniques de la lune noire (more Fantasy than SF, but very good)
- Girls

But, like Ludwig said -again!-, if you can't read French all this comics will be useless for you...

Enjoy !

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24726

• wintermute2517
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
I'll start by saying that most of those titles aren't French but Belgian. Still Belgian people speak French. :P

I also recommend anything Lanfeust or Troy, Les Chroniques de la Lune Noire (Black Moon Chronicles).

Let me get up and look at my actual library, there's also Donjon de Naheulbeuk (comedy fantasy) and Methraton (a Lune Noire spin-off). The rest of my stuff is mostly for kids. (Spirou, Tintin, Asterix)

I also love Enki Bilal. :)

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24749

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
I'll look into those. Do Violine and Alone count? I enjoyed them a lot, but they're a bit cartoony and childish for most.

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24873

• Ludwig
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 12
Startreksteve and Wintermute2517, you both have a part of the truth ;)

Look at this :
Leo although a Brasilian, got his breakthrough while working in France.
Jacamon & Matz are native French
Runberg is Belgian, Pellé is French
Moebius is French, Alejandro is Chilean-French
Mézières and Christin are French
Marvano is Belgian
Don Lawrence is English (Trigan started with the publisher Fleetway),
His other comic "Storm" was published by the Dutch publisher Oberon (Netherlands), his scenarist Lodewijck is also Dutch.
Giménez is Argentinian but attended the Academy of fine arts in Barcelona so influenced.

So you have some French comics, a French/Belgian mix, a Belgian comic, 1 English comic, 1 English/Dutch mix and 1 Argentinian-Spanish comicguy.

I chose European comic in my reply but you could say Franco-Belge for the first 6 with certainty.
I always felt Don's style was a bit of an outsider, in the days the comic apeared that is (although lay-out, sizewise, pagesize already linked to FB's).

I'll try to shed some more light on that Franco-Belge mark later in a new topic 'from your local reporter'.

And Wintermute2517,
although most Belgians can speak French..you have the Flemish 60 % (Dutch-speaking), the Francophones 40% (French-speaking) and a small group of German-speakers at the border with Germany.
The 3 languages differ slightly from their counterparts in France, the Netherlands and Germany. You could compare the difference like American English and English..

Well no worries, abroad a lot of people think we only speak French.
My motherlanguage is Flemish, but I also speak the other languages so I can drink a beer with everyone.

Because of your great attempt to give us Belgians praise,
you get +1, a key to our comicshops, waffels and chocolates ..
please lock the 21 first of July in your calender because you will be expected to walk in the National parade next year

Btw congrats with your baby ... is sleep possible :o)
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24879

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
@Ludwig - thanks for dropping the Belgian and Euro comics knowledge on us. + karma for you. I've only recently (and I mean very recently) begun thinking about exploring non American comics. I picked up a few books of a Marvel translated French title (can't think of the name at the moment...I'll have to check when I get home) that looked quite interesting. It's on my "to read" list. Once I'm done with that, many of your suggestions will be on that list as well.

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24901

• wintermute2517
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
Ludwig wrote:
Startreksteve and Wintermute2517, you both have a part of the truth ;)

And Wintermute2517,
although most Belgians can speak French..you have the Flemish 60 % (Dutch-speaking), the Francophones 40% (French-speaking) and a small group of German-speakers at the border with Germany.
The 3 languages differ slightly from their counterparts in France, the Netherlands and Germany. You could compare the difference like American English and English..

Well no worries, abroad a lot of people think we only speak French.
My motherlanguage is Flemish, but I also speak the other languages so I can drink a beer with everyone.

Because of your great attempt to give us Belgians praise,
you get +1, a key to our comicshops, waffels and chocolates ..
please lock the 21 first of July in your calender because you will be expected to walk in the National parade next year

Btw congrats with your baby ... is sleep possible :o)

I stand corrected! :P

Living across the pond in Quebec, and not knowing anyone from Belgium, I didn't know all the particulars. :)

Time to go raid some comicshops while gorging myself on chocolate!!! Thanks for the +1.

And yes I'm sleeping quite well, she goes to bed at around midnight and wakes at around 8am. :woohoo:

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 4 months ago #24928

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Thanks for all the feedback guys, very interesting! I wonder how many different styles of Comic Graphics styles there are in the world? There's a guy called Craig Thompson who does some awesome stuff, Blankets for one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ulfman

Re: French Comics... I love em!! 5 years 1 month ago #26650

• Ulfman
  • Fresh Boarder
hey dudes! i have also just found french comics and I also love them, especially from scanlators like DATA9724 and the ALICE team who do very professional jobs. luckily they are crazy prolific so there is lots to read! the ALICE team even use comicinfo.xml so they are one of us comicrackers, lol!!

my favorites are lanfeust (like a million books and series!), arctica, slhoka, tessa: intergalactic agent, wake, questor (so funny!) and belladonna (lady musketeer!)! I wanna see lots more great french scanlations coming soon!

I found this archive with many great scanlations: www.zippyshare.com/aliceinzululand
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by Ulfman.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.231 seconds

Who's Online

We have 255 guests and 3 members online