Welcome, Guest
Discussions about Comics from other Publishers

TOPIC: DRM free floodgates are open at last! Thanks to Image.

DRM free floodgates are open at last! Thanks to Image. 4 years 4 months ago #35204

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Never thought it would happen but Image have decided to sell PDF, CBR and CBZ comics!
Read about it here:
www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=46399
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: DRM free floodgates are open at last! Thanks to Image. 4 years 4 months ago #35208

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
This is great news. Hopefully it will take off like DRM free music did.

Re: DRM free floodgates are open at last! Thanks to Image. 4 years 4 months ago #35214

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Good to see that someone is finally starting to understand how things work in the real world, and not just plan their business model like we're all in an Orwell novel
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: DRM free floodgates are open at last! Thanks to Image. 4 years 4 months ago #35215

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
This obviously shows just how much Image Comics has grown and matured as a modern day business company when it comes to its views on digital content. You can't stop piracy completely, and the best combat against it is to make the content high rich quality and decently priced and fans will reward creators with high purchase amounts. I check out all forms of digital content for free when I can, yet the content that I find to be valuable and of high quality, I will pay for to support the creator(s). Thus, when a distribution method just makes sense, there should be no holding it back. I'll most definitely only order my Image comics from their direct site from now on.

I totally see DRM-free digital comics content taking off just like the DRM-free digital music content for many reasons. The file sizes are relatively small. 3 to 5 high quality imaged books (a limited series) are basically equivalent to one high quality MP3 music album. Thus, current download times are about the same. Depending on how Image prices their books, cost could be around the same per megabyte of content. The only things that currently cause DRM-free digital comics content to not take off any time soon is the number of consumers demanding DRM-free content and thus the number of distributors providing such content. As more comics related content is discovered and absorbed, whether it be in the form of a book, music, film, clothing, theatre, etc., then more consumers will want to check out the original medium in which the content originated. It's why novels will never go away...so much of today's other entertainment outlets originate from novels. Comics will be the same, as we are already seeing it happen right before our eyes over the past 10 to 15 years.

As more comics prove to be profitable beyond their original creative method, more people will become interested in them, both consumers and creators. Look at how non-super hero comic genres have benefited from the explosion of interest in the super hero genres. We eventually got to see them break out with wide expose success with hits like The Walking Dead, A History of Violence, Road to Perdition, and 300, to name a few. Now today, we see more non-super hero genre titles than we ever have (at least probably since the 50s) thanks to companies like Image Comics and their focus on releasing great content by great creative people who think outside the box, and this move and mentality by Image is just another example of that!

Re: DRM free floodgates are open at last! Thanks to Image. 4 years 4 months ago #35223

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Of course the best thing about it is we can all use our favourite comic reader.

Comixology gets a lot of things right but it is still frustrating, my pet hate is out of order series for no apparent reason. The Marvel giveaway crash reminded everyone that they can't always get at the content they have paid for.

I am also a little wary of Comixology, they sing their own success story to the world, but they are still a relatively young company with an unproven business model. The main companies have used them because they represented a fast way to get into digital, but as digital grows we are starting to see the emergence of the subscription model, and the modern fan sourced equivalent of patronage.

And I can't be the only one who thinks digital back catalogue comics from the 60s and 70s are not worth the current asking price. I watch the new Comixology bundle model with interest. I have an inexplicable weakness for the Grimm Fairy Tales Wonderland comics for example, and was happy to buy the digital omnibus when it came out because it was a bargain. I expected the other publishers to do this with classic runs but nothing happened.

Until the old X-Men or FF runs are available in a reasonable bundle I will just make do with the old DVD scans, dated and awful as they may be. At least I can use CR to make reading lists.
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Who's Online

We have 269 guests and 9 members online