Welcome, Guest
Discussions about Comics from other Publishers

TOPIC: Star Wars comics suggestion?

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 5 years 10 months ago #18501

• alext41
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
here is a link to the comics timeline of all star wars comics.
starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Timeline_of_comics

at the moment i'm working on the reading lists of this one ;)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 5 years 8 months ago #20643

• microzone
  • Fresh Boarder
gunslinger wrote:
Title says it all. What Star Wars comics would you suggest?

Star Wars Legacy. Totally unique setting, decades after ROTJ. It has a lot of heavy political thriller aspects to the story, but unlike the heavy-handed use in the prequels and Clone Wars cartoon, it actually works here.

The same creative team just began a new series; Dawn of the Jedi, set 25,000 years before the original trilogy.

The KOTOR era started out strong in the original Tales of the Jedi comics of the 90s, but the roller coaster quality of the newer comics, novels & video games have left that era a mess to try to follow.

Classic era Star Wars: any of the Boba Fett or Jabba the Hutt comics. The 4 issues of Jabba are hilarious. The Dark Empire & Crimson Empire trilogies are work a look as well.

No classic SW collection is complete without Classic Star Wars by Archie Goodwin & THE sci-fi comic master of all time, Al Williamson. Dark Horse took their run on the daily & Sunday newspaper strip from the early 80s and reformatted the artwork into a standard comic format...with Williamson himself returning to clean up the art and provide new art and covers. The comic ran 20 monthly issues, collected in 3 trades. The story is set between Star Wars and Empire.

Not sure if they're still in print, but they are well worth owning. Williamson was one of the artists that worked on the legendary EC sci-fi comics of the early 1950s. His work there, along with Wally Wood, stands up to any artist working today. Al & Archie would also do the movie adaptions for Empire & ROTJ for Marvel, both of which are still in print from DHC.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 5 years 8 months ago #20645

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Great collection.

Maybe you could post some reading lists :)

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #30691

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I've finally managed to chronologically organize the Star War books, and will post the reading lists here (if there is any interest, that is).

To begin with, we must know about the eras of star wars adventure. There are 6 eras, arranged with regards to their occurrence before or after the Battle of Yavin. They are, thus, designated as BBY (before the Battle of Yavin) or ABY (after the Battle of Yavin). Some resources use an alternate designation system: BSW4 or ASW4 (i.e. before or after Episode IV: A new hope). Both designation systems are the same.

• The Old Republic era began at approximately 25,000 BSW4 and ended at roughly 1,000 BSW4.
  • The Rise of the Empire era ran from 1,000 BSW4 to 2 BSW4.
  • The Rebellion era ran from 2 ASW4 to 5 ASW4.
  • The New Republic era spans from 5 ASW4 to 25 ASW4.
  • The New Jedi Order era covers 25 ASW4 to 40 ASW4.
  • The Legacy era extends from 40 ASW4 and beyond, the latest time existing in any story line being 138 ASW4.
Now every official story, whether book, comic, short story or other, could be placed as occurring during one of six Eras of Adventure. Thus the events of the Prequel Trilogy (Episodes I thru III) occur during the Rise of the Empire era, while the Original Trilogy (Episodes IV thru VI) take place in The Rebellion era. Note that for convenience Before The Republic is encapsulated within The Old Republic era timeline.

Here is a basic timeline:

To begin reading in the EU, you have to select an era that interests you. You could of course just read from multiple eras simultaneously, but there are a few stipulations: The NJO and L era are not to be read unless NR era comics and novels have been read first. Otherwise, you will be lost in what is happening, because stories are interrelated and consequential to one another. The OR era is more or less free game. Anything can be read from this and in some cases without prior reading. In the RotE era, this is also true but to a lesser extent. With the Rebellion era, if you have watched the movies, you do not have to read anything out of this time, although doing so is still good, because there are significant events in this period. If SW books/comics centered on Luke, Han, and Leia interest you, then read into the Rebellion era or dive into the NR era. In the NR era, there are numerous important story arcs that need to be followed in order to read NJO and L era works with the same characters. However, in the Legacy era, the Legacy comic series can be read without very much study of events beforehand, because it happens over 100 years ABY.

Now, how do we organize these books in ComicRack?

First things first:

I shall try to get as many collections (TPBs & Omnibus editions) in this chronology, so as to maintain a decorum in this list (easy to comprehend), as well as when I buy them books, I don't have to buy individual issues (where are they available anyway?)

The shipping has already begun! :-)

Now we use the name of the era as Alternate Series & 'Star Wars' as the Series Group:

Note that to arrange the eras in the correct order, I prefix them with 01, 02, 03 etc.

Now, make this smart list:

File Attachment:

File Name: Stars Wars...line.cbl
File Size:1 KB

Group by Alternate Series & sort by Alternate number to get this:

Also note that I have (mis)used the ISBN field to denote the chronology of the book. This can again be used as a sorting criterion.

And also note that some books have alternate numbers like 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 etc. These books are included in an Omnibus. So, the 2.1, 2.2, 2.3 books are included in the Omnibus, which has the alternate number 2. Hope this makes some sense.

Here is a (custom) reading list for the first era. Tell me if it is useful to you, and if you want more. :)

File Attachment:

File Name: Old Republic.cbl
File Size:4 KB
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: James Spaceman, schroder08, Mammut

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #30694

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
I've never read any Star Wars comics, or watched the second trilogy, or any of the other stuff that came out.
I'm somewhat of a purist, I loved the original trilogy (okay, Jedi was a bit cheesy) - and don't want to have that spoiled. A lot of my friends have heavily criticised the rest of the franchise, be it movies, films or the animated clone wars series.

Then again, I might give the books a shot at some point.
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 6 months ago #31097

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
A couple questions abut this - I remember I was organizing my SW comics chronologically, but there were a few discrepancies between star wars wikia timeline and the wikipedia timeline. Is there one or other that you prefer to go by?

For 600WPMPO, assuming you have all your numbering set up for current comics out, what do you do when they release a new series? Do you use a re-numbering script of some kind, or do you add a . designation to the new series. For example, say a series came out chronologically between Knight Errant and Jedi vs. Sith. Would you make those 18.1, 18.2, 18.3 (for a 3 part series)?

Thanks for the ideas in using different fields. I keep forgetting about using unused fields for different uses.

EDIT: - Dumb blonde question... is there an easy way as well to modify the ISBN field, for example, or would that require editing the xml file in each comic? I didn't see a field in the comic info from within ComicRack, but that doesn't mean it didn't exist. I also tried a search for ISBN but didn't find anything helpful on the first pass. If I do discover something, I'll tweak this post as well, but if not, could you enlighten me? Thanks!

RE-EDIT: - Ok, ISBN. I've found if I change the view to List, I can add the ISBN field there. Yay!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by schroder08.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 6 months ago #31106

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
schroder08 wrote:
I didn't see a field in the comic info from within ComicRack [for the ISBN], but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.
RE-EDIT: - Ok, ISBN. I've found if I change the view to List, I can add the ISBN field there. Yay!

I've wondered before from your screenshots, how do you have the catalog tab on regular entries? I only get that tab on filess entries. Is there a script or a setting that I'm missing?
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by Madmatx.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 6 months ago #31109

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
Madmatx wrote:
schroder08 wrote:
I didn't see a field in the comic info from within ComicRack [for the ISBN], but that doesn't mean it didn't exist.

I've wondered before from your screenshots, how do you have the catalog tab on regular entries? I only get that tab on filess entries. Is there a script or a setting that I'm missing?

Since you did more than a simple quote of my post, I assume you did intend to respond to me... it's been a while since I've been on the boards, so I'm not sure if I actually have posted screenshots. If I did, I'm not sure, I was actually looking for a catalog tab today and couldn't find one. Were you intending for the question to go to 600WPMPO, but using my quoted post for reference to him?

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 6 months ago #31110

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Madmatx wrote:
You need to uncheck this:

schroder08 wrote:
For 600WPMPO, assuming you have all your numbering set up for current comics out, what do you do when they release a new series? Do you use a re-numbering script of some kind, or do you add a . designation to the new series. For example, say a series came out chronologically between Knight Errant and Jedi vs. Sith. Would you make those 18.1, 18.2, 18.3 (for a 3 part series)?
We'll have to renumber the Alternate Series in such a scenario. An easy way for this would be to input the timeline in some other (e.g. the ISBN field) (in the format I have used), then arrange by ISBN & if it all works out right, then use the Autonumber wizard (in-built) to renumber the Alternate Numbers.

If such a technique doesn't help, I'm afraid we'll have to manually re-do the numbers. :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 6 months ago #31112

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
My question was for 600, sorry for the confusion schroder. The reason I quoted you was because the catalog tab is where you can edit the ISBN field in the info window.

Thanks for the answer, I never read the world "only" in that option before.
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds

Who's Online

We have 163 guests and 6 members online