Welcome, Guest
Discussions about Comics from other Publishers

TOPIC: Star Wars comics suggestion?

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31113

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
600WPMPO wrote:
If such a technique doesn't help, I'm afraid we'll have to manually re-do the numbers. :unsure:

It would work, ish. When I first was organizing them (pre CR) I had them each in a different folder, so my folder structure looked like

II. Old Republic Era
001. 5,000 BBY - Tales of the Jedi - The Golden Age of the Sith
002. 5,000 BBY - Tales of the Jedi - Fall of the Sith Empire
003. 4,000 BBY - Tales of the Jedi - Knights of the Old Republic

This worked well when carried directly into CRW because I could just organize by folder. This was my mindset when I started today using your system, so Alternate Series II. Old Republic, Number 1 was Golden Age of the Sith, 2 was Fall of the Sith Empire, relying on the program to look at the issue number to further order them rather than Alt Number 1 for Golden Age issue 0, Alt Number 2 for issue 1, etc.

Looking forward to needing to insert comics easily into my chronology, I decided that this wouldn't work with using the auto numberer, hence my earlier question. I have since revised my plan and will just go with the flow of each issue having a unique Alternate Number. That should save me some headaches when I try to insert things comics, just add my Alternate Series and year, see where it throws it and adjust things appropriately. Thanks again for the responses!

To Madmatx, no worries on the confusion, at times that's my normal mindset so nothing new for me. ;-)
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by schroder08.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31114

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
It works even better if we simply use the Alternate Number field for the timeline years (e.g. BBY 3963). This sorts them correctly, while ISBN fails at this. Have a look:

Scenario #1: Arranging by Alternate Number:

Scenario #2: Arranging by ISBN:

Edit: but then, this poses the problem arranging books with the exact timeline:

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31118

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
Possible solution - prefix the years with 0s. Since I've got it grouped by Alt Series first, it's still keeping the Before the Republic all together, and those are 5 digit years. Old Republic section is all 4 digit years. Those shouldn't be a problem, getting mixed up. Down to the Rise of the Empire. First 4 stories are years 996, 700, 300 and 67 BBY. If I leave them like that, it's of course 996, 700, 67, 300, but if I make it 067 it comes out correct. No difference if the BBY is before or after year from what I can tell. That's fine by me, not sure if having years of 022, 019, 006 will bother you or not.

EDIT - I see what I missed before, even with the prefacing 0s, sorting by ISBN still puts the numbers out of order for the same year. Grr. At least, if you put the year in, then sort by year, you can then highlight the line you want to remember, sort by Alt Number again, then run the autonumber script from the appropriate line.

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31763

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I created the Dawn of The Jedi timeline based on your technique (big thanks for it), but with Custom Values. I don't know how to export the data themselves, so I created a screenshot, I hope it's useful.

And I modified the timeline's smart list a little.

Attachments:
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by Mammut.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, schroder08, gdison

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31783

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
That is an excellent idea, Mammut! :-)

+1 friendly karma on its way...
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31789

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
First, I really like the idea you've got there Mammut, using the custom entries. Looking at your screenshots has given me a few ideas to work with.

Second, I'm back to my original concern regarding new entries in the timeline and how it works with your ordering system. For things in the first era, I can see it's not a problem if they insert a story after the fact. There's only two entries in the timeline of comics on Wookieepedia. My concern is more for something in the Rise of the Empire era. I believe there's more than 190 entries and more coming out, especially in the Clone Wars part. For example, I noticed in the recent 0-day they have the Clone Wars Volume 10: The Defenders of the Lost Temple. I think that would be right around the 117 area (assuming you continue as you are with numbers for each entry and incrementals for individual issues within). That means, had you already completed that section, 117 becomes 118, 118 becomes 119, 119 becomes 120 etc, for the next 70+ entries, encompassing more individual comics than I'd care to think about at the moment.

I am in a similar mindset, numbering wise. I like that. I'm just trying to figure out a handy way to add 1 to a highlighted range of comics for a particular field. Not sure if that's possible, but that's what we'd need, I think. New book comes out, highlight from where it goes down to the end of the era, and add 1 to your numbering. That'd be perfect. Would the Data Manager be able to do that? Something to look into.

To 600, a problem with sorting by year overall that I was thinking of is, what do you do once you hit the Rise of the Rebellion era? If you're using a descending count for the years, then it's going to go in reverse order. One poss solution would be to precede the BBY years with a -, though that tends to make me feel dirty, - 36,000 BBY? Ugh. Double negative and stuff. Anyway, just food for thought.

Thanks for taking the time to read the the ramblings of this guy. TTFN
Last Edit: 4 years 7 months ago by schroder08. Reason: Correcting the comic title, don't want to mess that up!
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31794

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder
I'm very happy that it was useful. :)

I hope that we can increase the numbers with Data Manager later (I mentioned already this with ISBN field in that topic: comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/13-scripts/3...it=10&start=20#31009). I hope it'll works with custom text fields.

In an other list the numbers were not 1, 2, 3... They were 10, 20, 30, so there was room for new issues. It's not so nice as this but it can be useful.

Yeah, the -36,000 BBY is not the best and what do you do with "Unknown"? :) And with the New 52 titles the date is often just "Now". :)
I think with a good Era numbering we can simply sort by it. Okay, there could be flashback issues, so it's not good every time. Hm. Maybe we need a second, hidden(!) "Timeline Year Number" field. :D

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31977

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
Something I need to work through but have run across as a minor problem - when grouping by Custom: Era, it seems only to look at the first character. For example, whether I have my eras as

I. Before the Republic
II. The Old Republic
III. Rise of the Empire
etc

they all get grouped by under I. I then tried a minor test with numbers, i.e.

01 - Before the Republic
02 - The Old Republic
03 - Rise of the Empire
etc

Now, when grouping by Custom: Era it groups them all as 0-9. Before, when I had it grouped by Alternate Series, it was actually grouped in each era. Am I being blonde on this and missing something?

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31979

• Mammut
  • Gold Boarder

Re: Star Wars comics suggestion? 4 years 7 months ago #31982

• schroder08
  • Senior Boarder
Gotcha. I remember reading that topic but hadn't done anything with the custom values yet, so I didn't really get it until I had the issue myself. I guess that's why it was familiar when I was working on it. Thanks for the reminder!

EDIT: Yay! With the new version of ComicRack, it groups by Custom nicely!
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds

Who's Online

We have 229 guests and 3 members online