Welcome, Guest
Discussions about Manga Comics

TOPIC: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga

MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23702

• Deathspike
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 21
MangaSynch is a small application capable of synchronizing manga series from popular online manga scans and scanlations websites. Each downloaded chapter is stored on your computer as a comic book archive with additional embedded information, such as the writer and summary, ready to be imported to ComicRack.

Motivation
It is easy to find downloadable sources for anime, but manga is different. It is often tedious to find the series you are looking for, and the series that can be found often come in unfamiliar archives and without embedded information. It was possible to read the series online, however I prefer the comfort of ComicRack for Android and a light reading device, and solved the issue by programmatically creating ComicRack-ready archives directly from online resources.

Supported Resources
MangaSynch synchronized based on an address of a resource provider. Each address should point to the series information and chapter listing of a series you wish to synchronize. The application currently has support for the following resources:
- MangaFox; Mixed Quality, Very Complete Resource, Watermark Programatically Removed
- Batoto: High Quality, No Licensed Series, Missing Chapter(s)
- KissManga: High Quality, Sometimes Incorrect Listing
- MangaReader; Low Quality, Incomplete; Annoying Watermark
Changes
2012, 20th of August
- Added ability to skip chapters. (http://mangafox.me/manga/to_aru_kagaku_no_railgun/$10)
- Fixed MangaFox name detection (Manga no Tsukurikata).
- Fixed KissManga mature content (Koe de Oshigoto).

2012, 12th of August
- Fixed MangaFox synchronizer; Introduced a bug yesterday preventing saving of chapter(s).

2012, 11th of August
- Changed KissManga to respect the number of processor cores to avoid starvation of threads.
- Fixed the MangaReader synchronizer to respect and recognize the new address format.
- Released SDK for plugin development and released MangaReader source as an example.

2012, 7th of July
- Fixed an issue in the MangaFox image processing class, which allowed some annoyancing watermarking (Oh god...).
- Fixed an issue causing the application to crash when processing a bad formatted image.

2012, 6th of July
- Changed KissManga to be synchronized using parallelization.
- Dropped support for the release date. Scanlation release is not very reliable.
- Dropped support for 'completed series'. Omake is often added after 'completion'.
- Improved image processing on the MangaFox resource provider.
- Improved reported timing and added a total elapsed time when finished.
- Fixed Batoto title issues on chapters marked as version 2.
- Fixed Batoto [Extra] labeled chapters to be handled similar to Omake.
- Restructured architecture to become even more basic and simplistic.

2012, 5th of July
- Fixed some issues with KissManga synchronization. Unrecognized title/chapter format.
- Fixed Batoto issues to avoid skipping non-numbered Omake (determines correct volume number).

2012, 26th of June #2
- Changed page orientation from left-to-right to right-to-left, as originally intended.
- Changed written ComicInfo.xml in archive to be indented, and thus, easier to read.
- Fixed timer issues and messaging with less than a second elapsed times.
- Fixed title issues caused by HTML encoding that were not escaped as intended.
- Fixed synchronization for Batoto webtoon-style comic/manga.

2012, 26th of June
- Added support for Batoto (Does not support release dates; instead uses download date).
- Added support for KissManga.
- Fixed an issue that prevented the timer from being reset as it should.
- Removed throttling from MangaFox and MangaReader; you could still hammer anyway!

2012, 25th of June
- Added support for MangaReader; forgot to merge it in the previous release.
- Changed completed message to show the elapsed time and the average time spend on a page.
- Fixed an issue in the MangaFox synchronizer; occurred  when linking to comments.
- Synchronized improved; now properly mimicking a web browser (Cookies, Referer & User-Agent).
- Synchronized reworked; implemented throttling to avoid hammering a provider.

2012, 24th of June
- Released the application.
Usage Instructions
Extract MangaSynch.exe to the folder you wish to use to synchronize manga. Run MangaSynch.exe and you will see a message telling you to press enter to quit the application. The application did not synchronize anything, because we did not tell the application about what should be synchronized. Those who have experience with the command line can start the application with an address as the argument, however we are going to add an address into the just created MangaSynch.txt file. Open the MangaSynch.txt file with your favourite text editor. In this file, each line represents an address that should be synchronized. Add the following address, http://mangafox.me/manga/shinigami_no_ballad/, and save the file. Now run the MangaSynch.exe application again and the address we just added is going to be synchronized! Note that if you re-open the MangaSynch.txt file, the address you just added is still in the file. This means that a series can be automatically updated just by running the application again! Now that you know how to synchronize, go ahead and add the folder to ComicRack and scan it. You will see the synchronized series appear, with a lot of additional information. Feedback
Do you have suggestions or encountered an issue? Let me know! I love your feedback, but do note that I have no intention of writing this application into a ComicRack plugin or adding a graphical user interface. I did both, about 4 months ago, but integration with ComicRack adds too much unnecessary complexities and adds absolutely no usability enhancements. Just yesterday, I decided to pick up this application again (after 3 months of inactivity) and bring it back to a bare minimum that would be both maintainable and usable.

Finalizing Note
This application makes use of third party resources, which consumes their server processing power and bandwidth (which does cost money for the server owner). Because of this, MangaSynch has been throttled to avoid hammering the resources of the resource provider. If you make use of their resources, please consider making a donation to them!

System Requirements
Software: Microsoft .NET Framework 4 or Mono 2.8.
CPU: Pentium 4 2.5 GHz
Memory: 512 MB
Hard Drive Space: 1 GB Free
Networking: Internet Connection Required
Attachments:
Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by Deathspike.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview, JaceSimian2099, Mike43110, drproton

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23705

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
Nice, I followed your steps and it seems to work great. Thanks for the hard work!

I have slow internet, so it may take time to see if it's fully functional.

A question, if I find a manga I want, which address do I paste into notpad? The first page of it?

If I wanted Love So Life, for example, and say I found it on MangaFox, which address would I choose?

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23706

• Deathspike
  • Expert Boarder
Pick the chapter listing of the series you wish to synchronize. In this case, you would add http://mangafox.me/manga/love_so_life/ as the address. Also do note that you can add more than just one series by using new lines, so you could add 10 series (or more) and leave your PC on to synchronize overnight. Note to self; this series looks interesting, getting this!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by Deathspike.

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23707

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks.

It is a great series, and very cute and innocent.

She's an orphan who loves taking care of children, and she's so sweet and nice and great with children. She takes care of them like she was once taken care of before she lost her folks. It's probably the complete opposite of a manly action book, but it's one of my top 10 easily. :)

You'll find yourself happy in places, and sad in others, it really affects the emotions, which is the sign of a great book.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Deathspike

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23724

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
@Deathspike - Great job on this!!!! I haven't taken the time yet to get into manga titles, though now with your tool, I see it should be easy to get started once I have the time. Much karma coming your way today and over the coming weeks.

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23744

• Deathspike
  • Expert Boarder
Thanks! I hope this tool will allow everyone to easily explore manga! Fixed a few issues:
- Added support for MangaReader; forgot to merge it in the previous release.
- Changed completed message to show the elapsed time and the average time spend on a page.
- Fixed an issue in the MangaFox synchronizer; occurred  when linking to comments.
- Synchronized improved; now properly mimicking a web browser (Cookies, Referer & User-Agent).
- Synchronized reworked; implemented throttling to avoid hammering a provider.
- Updated release to be semi-functional on both Linux and Mac OS X.

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23749

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
Thank you very much. I'm very happy to see this.

But... ;)

There is whole bunch of online manga reading sites. The biggest issue with most of them is that they butcher the quality of original scanlation images by compressing them beyond sanity. Sadly, both MangaFox and MangaReader are in this group.

To put it simply - image quality is terrible! Not worth downloading at all.

Now, as far as I know there are only two online sources that don't mess with image quality - batoto.net and mangatraders.com

Batoto is exactly like the two you had already implemented. Adding sync with it would probably be fairly easy job.

MangaTrades is a bit different though, but I prefer it myself. It allows registered users to directly download archived volumes/chapters. Of course, in original quality scanlators released them. They tend to provide whole volumes and chapters only for current volume. Online reader is just a side feature of the site. There are only two minor drawbacks: 1) One file at a time per server (they have 5 download servers running). 2) Naming scheme of downloaded files is not consistent and has bunch of random numbers added at the beginning which you have to rename manually.

So, if you like your manga in best quality possible, those two sources are the only choice - batoto would be easier and MangaTrades is just on the whole different level of awesomeness.

If you consider those sources worth adding then I'd probably have few other suggestions for new features.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by quidam.

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23750

• Deathspike
  • Expert Boarder
I have been spending some time going through both of the recommendations and do indeed notice that some series are in better quality, however the information on the series is not very accurate (a lot of series are marked as ongoing, when they have been finished). I will implement a synchronizer for batoto, but will not implement one for mangatraders due to the numerous inconsistencies. I also found another two sites that are both complete and high quality, KissManga and MangaPark, so these 3 synchronizers will be made available tomorrow (to recap; this will be Batoto, KissManga and MangaPark).

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23751

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Deathspike wrote:
so these 3 synchronizers will be made available tomorrow (to recap; this will be Batoto, KissManga and MangaPark).
Pure awesomeness Deathspike!

Re: MangaSynch - Synchronizing Manga 5 years 4 months ago #23752

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
Working great, and leaving it on all night works wonders! Death Note complete, here I come Yu Gi Oh...
Time to create page: 0.358 seconds

Who's Online

We have 333 guests and 2 members online