Welcome, Guest
Discussion and Sharing of Web Comics
  • Page:

TOPIC: Adding some WebComics to the installer

Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14508

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
I think it would be a good idea to add some WebComics to the installer. So that people have something to read after the initial setup :)

Let's say the best 25. They should be book-like (so no strip WebComics) and non offensive to the general eye (by that I mean extreme violence and of course nudity :))

Now, what should be in that list?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14511

• Symmetry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
I think Gunnerkrigg Court, Darths & Droids, DM of the Rings, and FreakAngels should be included. You could perhaps also have a database of comics built into the program that hooks into the index of webcomics here to simplify the webcomic addition process (rather than going to the program's site, then clicking through to the web comics forum and finding the comic you want from the list and opening that with CR you could simply check items from a list).

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14512

• damocles
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
25 non-strip format might be a bit of a stretch... A lot of comics are strip, 4-koma or some variant.

But I think anything by Sarah Ellerton, FreakAngels, Megatokyo (at least... later years) would be good. As is Amya... and maybe The Meek -- but I haven't read that last one.

Symmetry> Not sure if that's all that feasable. Comic websites change, not often, but often enough that you need to change the CBW when one does. Also best to keep the forum alive in that case -- better to point people at it. ^^; But then I'm a bit biased. :P

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14519

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
  • Thank you received: 82
I don't see why they HAVE to be in book format. There's a lot of quality strip comics out there and it'd communicate that ComicRack is for reading all kinds of comics. What we really need to look for are comics that are of consistent quality, so that the first few pages dont' turn the reader off. We'll want a variety of genres and art styles so that they're more likely to find something that piques their interest. And we'll probably want to contact the authors so that they don't throw a fit thinking we're redistributing their babies as opposed to simply providing a bunch of links. I'll try coming up with a list later.

Oh, and #comicrack on irc.rizon.net is the unofficial Webcomic chat it seems. Stonepaw, whoever the hell Aria_Shachou is, Symmetry, and myself hang out there and discuss stuff like this. Would really like to see you guys there as well.
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack
server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #comicrack
Or in the webcomics subforum: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/22-web-comics
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by Helmic.

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14521

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I can only support this if you ask the comic artists first. Bundling just feels wrong otherwise, for some reason; it implies their endorsement to me.

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14523

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
Shinrai wrote:
I can only support this if you ask the comic artists first. Bundling just feels wrong otherwise, for some reason; it implies their endorsement to me.

I don't think Google endorses the various web browsers that use it as its homepage, but people merely thinking that can be a problem. Let's try to come up with a list first and then we can set out trying to see who won't scream copyright infringement.
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14526

personally i do not think this is a good idea. for a start we do not know the age of the person downloading comic rack, he or she could be about 7-8 and getting parents permission to get the software. If that is the case then the parents are watching what the children read and may find some of the contents in some of the comics offensive. the parent is obviously guiding the child with what to read, how to obtain comics etc and i think it is best left alone for them to do and not for comic rack to influence in any way.

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14527

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
The Memphis Flash wrote:
personally i do not think this is a good idea. for a start we do not know the age of the person downloading comic rack, he or she could be about 7-8 and getting parents permission to get the software. If that is the case then the parents are watching what the children read and may find some of the contents in some of the comics offensive. the parent is obviously guiding the child with what to read, how to obtain comics etc and i think it is best left alone for them to do and not for comic rack to influence in any way.

We've already ruled out the R-rated comics. Beyond that, I don't think ComicRack is really meant to be used by very young children or by people living in China; there's no controls to block inappropriate content.

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14529

EXACTLY my point. we do not know who is going to be using comic rack so best to be safe. anyone can use it with or without supervision. i still say NO to this.

Re: Adding some WebComics to the installer 6 years 6 months ago #14531

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
I'm all for including some webcomics to the intitial CR setup; but, as shinrai mentionned, I really think that it would benefit from the authorization of their creators. This way, CR could benefit from alittle publicity on those webcomics websites and, those webcomics would benefit from some of our users trafic. I said some because, don't kid ourselves, most users will just dismiss them.

And, as cYo said, suitable to most (if not all) audiences.

Just my 2 cents of course. ;)
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.229 seconds

Who's Online

We have 254 guests and one member online