Welcome, Guest
Discussion and Sharing of Web Comics

TOPIC: CBW Vs. A Public Remote Library or Torrent

CBW Vs. A Public Remote Library or Torrent 7 years 3 months ago #8880

• bugger
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
This is just a thought so please don't hate, but I was wondering how (or if) it is kinder to use a CBW which strips all advertising and probably adds a lot of bandwidth usage on the creators website (because everyone is downloading everything) or for 1 person to get everything up to a point and rebrodcast them on a Public Remote Library or a torrent. Maybe CBW's should start at the newest and then only download older pages on demand.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: CBW Vs. A Public Remote Library or Torrent 7 years 3 months ago #8885

• quidam
  • Platinum Boarder
  • not for nom
  • Thank you received: 23
I have no moral doubts when original author provides direct rss to his/hers strips. CBW is just other way of access, more convenient for CR users.

In other cases, when actual author tries to make money from ads in webpage, well, using CBWs is as controversial for me as using AdBlock (or sth similar), which I have no problem with. ;)

Not all CBW readers would be eager to visit author's website to read the comic. Though CBW leaves ads out, it is still another way of redistributing authors work that can broaden the audience. That itself may be profitable for creators. If I like someones work I'm more likely to buy merchandise (t-shirt for example) or even donate, than click the add.

Finally, not like CBW are that popular to become great threat. Creating cbw requires some time and regex skills. Unless we have some smart Wizard tool to help automate the process for normal users we won't see much new CBSs. That kinda saddens me, as I like CBWs a lot. If only we had RSS to CBW converter....... ;)

Huh, I ended up making feature request yet again.... ;p
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.148 seconds

Who's Online

We have 210 guests and 4 members online