Discussion and Sharing of Web Comics

TOPIC: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14289

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
  • Thank you received: 78
James Andrew Clark wrote:
Yeah, I kinda feel like I went through a time machine here.

Well, back then apparently no one seemed to clarify that no one was actually redistributing your comic but rather providing a regex that makes reading it much easier. The .cbW (not .CBR, that would have been a MUCH bigger file as it would have actually had the images in it) actually loads the web page so that it can find the data it needs, so it should provide you with your website hits. It really is just a specialized web browser.

As for the actual reading of webcomics, being able to preload images ahead of time greatly improves the reading experience - I don't have to wait an extra thirty seconds between pages while my traditional web browser loads the next page. There's also the extra reading tools ComicRack provides for all digital comics. I HIGHLY suggest trying the .cbw format for yourself.
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack
server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #comicrack
Or in the webcomics subforum: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/22-web-comics
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, James Andrew Clark

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14290

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 435
@James Andrew Clark: Would you now allow us to re-post and use the .cbw web reader for your comic? Till you agree, we won't use it.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14291

So it sounds like you're saying it's just reading the images that are already on the site rather than downloading them. While that's better, it's still kinda sounds like reading it in a browser with an adblock extension that blocks every single element except the comic itself.

I'll have to look at it a little closer so I can speak to the issue with an informed opinion.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helmic

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14292

600WPMPO wrote:
@James Andrew Clark: Would you now allow us to re-post and use the .cbw web reader for your comic? Till you agree, we won't use it.

As stated previously, I want to look at the .cbw format a little more so I understand it better. Then I can answer.

Thanks much.

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14293

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
James Andrew Clark wrote:
So it sounds like you're saying it's just reading the images that are already on the site rather than downloading them. While that's better, it's still kinda sounds like reading it in a browser with an adblock extension that blocks every single element except the comic itself.

I'll have to look at it a little closer so I can speak to the issue with an informed opinion.

I'll whip up a .cbw for your comic in a bit and send it to you. You'll have to excuse us, but if it becomes widely accepted that webcomic support in ComicRack is piracy that'll just outright kill the efforts cYo and others have made so far. I mean, had this thread been offering a FireFox script that blocks everything but specified elements, I don't think anyone would have thought there was even a problem.
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14294

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
And now it's sent to your private messages.

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 2 years 11 months ago #14295

• damocles
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
As cYo confirmed, CBWs in conjunction with Comicrack functions like a browser in that it retrieves pages from the comic's official site then displays them to the user. CBWs don't store the image files themselves.

Mr Clark and his co-author would still be able to see user-agent impressions from Comicrack in their server logs (I do assume that comicrack has its own user-agent string). Come to think of it, comicrack has a smaller bandwith footprint than a regular browser as comicrack doesn't download all the website UI stuff, only the comic page. Bandwith savings FTW! B)

The only thing Mr Clark would be missing is the ad click-throughs and possibly Forum interaction from users. Though as he said, there area a plethora of adblockers that already do that handily. And generally, CBWs will have a reference to the official web comic website so that users can easily head over there anyway. And if they don't, I believe they should. :cheer:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds

Who's Online

We have 262 guests and 1 member online
  • orianth

PIM

You are not logged in.