Welcome, Guest
Discussion and Sharing of Web Comics

TOPIC: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 2 months ago #9027

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 267
Here's what I got for Gun of Shadow Valley. It grabs the large version where available and when it can't it grabs the small version. [Link Removed]
However I've run into the same problem of the last page not scraping. :huh:
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Stonepaw. Reason: Link removed as per creator's request
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 2 months ago #9030

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Stonepaw wrote:
Here's what I got for Gun of Shadow Valley. It grabs the large version where available and when it can't it grabs the small version. [Link Removed]

However I've run into the same problem of the last page not scraping. :huh:
Thanks Stoney.. your Sin Titulo WebComic also works well !!

I have another request for you here

I trouble you too much, don't I ?.. :blush:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Stonepaw. Reason: removed link as per creator's request

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 2 months ago #9039

• Astrophizz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Yeah I don't know what's up with that last page :P

Let me see if I understand your regex properly. I'm not a programmer and I taught myself what regex I know just to put together .cbw's... and a little undergraduate astronomy work I was doing :) If I'm reading it right, it's doing a check to see if "comics-large" is not present in the page and then if that passes it grabs the regular "comics" image. I don't know why I didn't think about that. I had tried something similar with (?(?=regex)then|else) that I found on a website, checking to see if "comic-large" was present but I couldn't get it to work.

I'll see what I can do about that last page and if/when I figure it out I'll post it up and give you major credit for it. Anyways you're getting some karma :)
Last Edit: 7 years 2 months ago by Astrophizz.

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 2 months ago #9043

• Stonepaw
Astrophizz wrote:
Let me see if I understand your regex properly. I'm not a programmer and I taught myself what regex I know just to put together .cbw's... and a little undergraduate astronomy work I was doing :) If I'm reading it right, it's doing a check to see if "comics-large" is not present in the page and then if that passes it grabs the regular "comics" image. I don't know why I didn't think about that. I had tried something similar with (?(?=regex)then|else) that I found on a website, checking to see if "comic-large" was present but I couldn't get it to work.
Exactly! I actually tried the (?(?=regex)then|else) method as well but couldn't get it to work. Took me awhile to figured out how to get the negative look behind to work right.

I'm a self-taught programmer and regex crafter as well. ;)

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 4 weeks ago #10271

Hi everyone. I'm the co-writer/co-creator of "The Guns of Shadow Valley", and as such I also hold the copyright to the work. While I understand what you guys are doing, I really don't condone the distribution of our webcomic in this manner.

There are reasons why we want people to come to our website to read the comic: we want statistics on who is reading, as well as how many readers we have; we have banner advertising that helps (in a small way) to recover costs of publishing a free product; we want our readers engaged in discussion; we want them aware of news about the comic we deem important; and we wish to have quality control over how our work is released. When you scrape the images from our site and spread them around in .CBR format without our consent, you rob us of this.

We put a lot of effort into making our webcomic, and we offer it to the world for free. All we ask is that you come to our site to read it. At some point in the future there is a strong possibility we will have other methods of distribution in a variety of formats, both in print and digitally... but for now, it's a webcomic at www.gunsofshadowvalley.com and we'd like to keep it that way.

I'm asking that you cease distributing our comic. Please remove it from any and all file sharing sites where you may have uploaded it, and stop linking to the CBR files. I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks,
Jim
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by James Andrew Clark. Reason: I don't like my typos

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 4 weeks ago #10272

• Astrophizz
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I removed my link for the code I had written - though the code didn't work very well haha. I discovered your webcomic through this request though and I'm glad to have started reading it. It's high quality stuff! Anyone who sees this should not be dissuaded from checking it out.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by Astrophizz.

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 4 weeks ago #10273

Thank you very much.
Last Edit: 7 years 4 weeks ago by James Andrew Clark.

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 4 weeks ago #10274

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
James Andrew Clark wrote:
Thank you very much
Apologies from my side also, as it was initially my request :(

"The Guns of Shadow Valley" is one of the best written/drawn Web comics I have read in a long time, and I hope to be a constant visitor at the comic site.

@James Andrew Clark: Now that we have you here at the forum, are you using Comicrack ? Did you like it ? Any improvements you feel should be done ? I mean, for the first time, I am asking a real comic writer for his opinion about the ComicRack software, so this really matters :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 4 weeks ago #10276

• Stonepaw
I've removed my code.

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 4 weeks ago #10277

Thanks again, guys.

As for ComicRack, I haven't actually used it. I'm not sure I know enough about it, though. Is it primarily for reading scanned comics, or is there a library of legitimate titles that were released specifically for the ComicRack reader?
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds

Who's Online

We have 188 guests and 5 members online