Welcome, Guest
Discussion and Sharing of Web Comics

TOPIC: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 7 years 3 weeks ago #10278

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
James Andrew Clark wrote:
As for ComicRack, I haven't actually used it. I'm not sure I know enough about it, though. Is it primarily for reading scanned comics, or is there a library of legitimate titles that were released specifically for the ComicRack reader?
Huge number of legitimate titles are there. Please try a few with our software and tell us what you think..

p.s. The term ComicRack "Reader" is incorrect. You have to read the The ComicRack Manual to understand what I mean..
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 3 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14256

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
  • Thank you received: 82
Here's Power Out.
  • Power Out
    • Creator/s : Nathan Schreiber
    • Fourteen and friendless, Justin doesn't want to run away from his family - he wants them to run away from him. A massive, extended power out grants him his wish, but now Justin is forced to interact with a world he has always ignored.

A dreamlike coming of age story, Power Out captures the exhilaration and terror of discovering how big the world is for the first time.
    • Power Out.cbw (Helmic @ thread)
Attachments:
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack
server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #comicrack
Or in the webcomics subforum: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/22-web-comics
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by Helmic.

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14262

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
WebComics are also legit. ComicRack is a webbrowser in this regards.

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14263

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Hi everyone. I'm the co-writer/co-creator of "The Guns of Shadow Valley", and as such I also hold the copyright to the work. While I understand what you guys are doing, I really don't condone the distribution of our webcomic in this manner.

WebComics are not distributing anything illegal. There's no copyrighted content in the files. Just to make that clear. Nothing illegal is going on here. WebComics contain links to freely available internet resources.
There are reasons why we want people to come to our website to read the comic: we want statistics on who is reading, as well as how many readers we have; we have banner advertising that helps (in a small way) to recover costs of publishing a free product; we want our readers engaged in discussion; we want them aware of news about the comic we deem important; and we wish to have quality control over how our work is released. When you scrape the images from our site and spread them around in .CBR format without our consent, you rob us of this.

Again, nobody is posting any CBR files of your copyrighted material here. This site does not condone any linking to copyrighted material that is not free.

That said, I see your point about control, stats and ads. And from the responses you got to this post, I think you also see that this forum is filled with nice and sensible people.

I only stepped in to make clear that WebComics are not illegal. I could also post a wget batch file that downloads stuff from you site, or a javascript mashup, whatever. ComicRack is nothing else then a WebBrowser here and WebComics are a bunch of bookmarks in a file.
We put a lot of effort into making our webcomic, and we offer it to the world for free. All we ask is that you come to our site to read it. At some point in the future there is a strong possibility we will have other methods of distribution in a variety of formats, both in print and digitally... but for now, it's a webcomic at www.gunsofshadowvalley.com and we'd like to keep it that way.

WebComics do contain clickable links to the original websites (in the Book Info Dialog). From the reactions to your post I think you also learned that some people actually found out about your work via ComicRack (I think also that's the way you found this forum :))
I'm asking that you cease distributing our comic. Please remove it from any and all file sharing sites where you may have uploaded it, and stop linking to the CBR files. I'd really appreciate it.

Last time: .cbw comics do not distribute anything, they are a little more then a bookmark collection. Better way would be to say: Guys, do not use ComicRack to browse to our website, use Chrome, Firefox, whatever - but not ComicRack. That would be the correct description. Oh, and also do not use any Adblocker extension for your browser.

I hope I made myself clear.

As stated in the beginning, I see your point about the ads support. And I think people here have reacted very attentive.

But why not use .cbw files for your purpose. Why not create a .cbw file that has some 20 pages and the last one is "come here to read the rest". Or make .cbw episodes. I guess you also have a RSS feed where people read your WebComic without visiting your site.
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by cYo.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Helmic

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14268

• Symmetry
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Personally, I've found several webcomics I now love and follow through this forum. As I'm a conscientious reader, I keep webcomics open in a tab so they stay cached to disk except in the case of rare restarts and I go to the creators' websites (with ABP whitelisted for the domain) and click through ads. I understand that ads are how webcomic writers/artists make money and I respect that. Perhaps you could do as cYo suggested and package your comics into cbw episodes that are compiled in sets? Many ComicRack users - at least those that post on this forum - are considerate and would be willing to tolerate a little delay and a few ads for prepackaged files, straight from the creator, I'm sure.

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14276

• damocles
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
Alternatively, cYo can put in a more prominent link to the web comic homepage itself. Maybe even require it for CBWs so that it can be displayed somewhere in the reader (not the library) when someone reads a web comic via comicrack. This way web comic authors don't have to do anything like - readers just click through to the official website.

And I'll put my hand up to saying that I've discovered many a new web comic through here to go and read. :)

Re:[WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14280

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
Hi everyone. I'm the co-writer/co-creator of "The Guns of Shadow Valley", and as such I also hold the copyright to the work. While I understand what you guys are doing, I really don't condone the distribution of our webcomic in this manner.
why not use .cbw files for your purpose. Why not create a .cbw file that has some 20 pages and the last one is "come here to read the rest". Or make .cbw episodes. I guess you also have a RSS feed where people read your WebComic without visiting your site.
James Andrew Clark wrote that 7 months back. :whistle:

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14284

Yeah, I kinda feel like I went through a time machine here.

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14286

• 600WPMPO
Yeah, I kinda feel like I went through a time machine here.
And sir, do you agree with what cYo says above..?

Re: [WebComic Request] 4 WebComics 6 years 5 months ago #14287

We're currently still trying to figure out the best way to distribute the comic outside of the traditional web format.
Time to create page: 0.415 seconds

Who's Online

We have 207 guests and 7 members online