Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: [Megapost] Reading Lists

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16118

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 47
Wedge wrote:
I usually apply an alternate number after I've sorted them in list manually, in case I do some chopping and changing later.

I could see this being useful for a "live" running story arc where the list will frequently be changed and reorganized, such as Fear Itself. For completed story arcs like Blackest Night and otherwise more static series such as Hellblazer, where it'll mostly be just appending to the end, it just seems like extra work to go through and renumber 300+ books.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Samael69.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16119

• Wedge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
I usually just select all and use the autonumbering script.
its usually a just in case thing if I'm swapping in better scans of particular issues.

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16121

• OsirisNeits
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
600WPMPO wrote:
A common mistake when making lists...

How do we sort these..?

There should have been an Alternate number.

I see what you mean- I am consistently impressed with the depth and flexibility of this software.

I went ahead and fixed my Last Laugh reading list, and while adding the alternate series name is easy, I'm wondering if any scripts will add the alternate series number for me, in the order I have them in the list- editing each by hand would be a bit tedious for some lists (Civil War or Secret Invasion for example)

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16123

• Wedge
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
the Autonumber Wizard is under Automanon when you right click on a selection of books, and usually an icon for it beside the Redo button above the library browser. there's a pull down to select Alternate Number. that's what I use.

if you open a reading list cbl file in a text editor, you'll see for each book, it only stores the series name, issue number, volume and year, and the book id (which I think will be unique to everyone's database instance) so unless I'm mistaken Alternate Series and Number has no bearing on exported reading lists. When you import a list, your intance of ComicRack uses the stored values to look for matching comics in your library.

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16125

• OsirisNeits
  • Fresh Boarder
Wedge wrote:
if you open a reading list cbl file in a text editor, you'll see for each book, it only stores the series name, issue number, volume and year, and the book id (which I think will be unique to everyone's database instance) so unless I'm mistaken Alternate Series and Number has no bearing on exported reading lists.
600WPMPO wrote:
A common mistake when making lists...

How do we sort these..?

There should have been an Alternate number.

Ok, so now I'm confused. :unsure:

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16126

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
OK, I'll attempt to clear up some confusion. I have a reading list for Fear Itself. As I test, I went and gave the books alternate numbers 0-63, for the issues I have a number for. So "Journey Into Mystery #622, I have an alternate number of 6. Here is the reading list entry for that book.
<Book Series="Journey Into Mystery" Number="622" Volume="2011" Year="2011">
      <Id>0e7784c9-b05f-4666-ab2b-1255929161ef</Id>
</Book>

We have an entry for "Book Series", "Number", "Volume" and "Year"...all items that would typically be entered on and scraped from ComicVine. Alternate number is a personal preference so, rightly, there is no entry for alternate number. This is stored in the book's metadata only. I could have just as easily numbered in increments of 5 to allow spaces to insert books without worrying about renumbering.

An easy way to think about it is this..."Position" number is specific to a list where "Alternate Number" is specific to a book. A book can have many positions in any number of lists, but it can only have one Alternate.

Here is the ComicInfo.xml entry for the same book...which does get written to the CBZ file, if you use this functionality.
<?xml version="1.0"?>
<ComicInfo xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema" xmlns:xsi="http://www.w3.org/2001/XMLSchema-instance">
  <Title>Journey Into Mystery</Title>
  <Series>Journey Into Mystery</Series>
  <Number>622</Number>
  <Volume>2011</Volume>
  <AlternateSeries>Fear Itself</AlternateSeries>
  <AlternateNumber>6</AlternateNumber>
  <Summary>Prepare for Fear Itself when the acclaimed Thor series becomes Journey Into Mystery! Loki is back and the mystery surrounding his death is about to be revealed!

What can the Trickster God be up to this time? How will this affect Thor?

The Creators bring Thor's dark, little brother back into the fray. It's time for the Odinson and the Trickster to reunite!

Also - get caught all caught up on THOR since he made his return to the Marvel Universe in J. Michael Straczynski's epic run.</Summary>
  <Notes>Scraped metadata from ComicVine [CVDB268355] on 2011.08.07 23:16:44.</Notes>
  <Year>2011</Year>
  <Month>6</Month>
  <Writer>Kieron Gillen</Writer>
  <Penciller>Dougie Braithwaite</Penciller>
  <CoverArtist>Lee Weeks, Arthur "Art" Adams, Stephanie Hans</CoverArtist>
  <Publisher>Marvel</Publisher>
  <Web>http://www.comicvine.com/journey-into-mystery-journey-into-mystery/37-268355/</Web>
  <PageCount>37</PageCount>
  <Characters>Bill Junior, Ikol, Uthana Thoth, Thela, Lord Thane, Fex, Mephisto, Kara, Brun, Wolverine, Luke Cage, Void, Bucky Barnes, Eden Fesi, Mockingbird, Stature, Patriot, Speed, Stonewall, Vision, Moonstone, Norman Osborn, Ms. Marvel, Spider-Woman, Wiccan, Hawkeye , Sentry, Doombot, Kelda, Doctor Strange, Beta Ray Bill, Surtur, Bor, Jane Foster, Enchantress, Hela, Balder, Destroyer, Iron Man, Doctor Doom, Munin, Hugin, Sif, General Thunderbolt Ross, Captain America, Thing, Spider-Man, Odin, Hogun, Fandral, Volstagg, Thor, Loki, Heimdall</Characters>
  <Teams>Ano-Athox, Disir, Secret Warriors, Frost Giants, New Avengers, Avengers, Warriors Three, Asgardian Gods</Teams>
  <Locations>Avengers Tower, Castle Doom, Bifrost, Asgard (Marvel)</Locations>
  <Pages>
    <Page Image="0" ImageWidth="1280" ImageHeight="1985" Type="FrontCover" />
    <Page Image="1" ImageWidth="1280" ImageHeight="1982" />
  </Pages>
</ComicInfo>

Notice the <AlternateSeries> and <AlternateNumber> tags. These do not appear to be repeating elements. So a book can only have one alternate. If it's involved in multiple story arcs, then you're hooped and in my thinking, MUST rely on position.
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by Samael69.

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16127

• OsirisNeits
  • Fresh Boarder
Ok, having opened my last Laugh list with word, I see how the list is formatted, and that it retains the order of the list in my library- I suppose the only thing I was confused about was the comment by 600WPMPO that there should have been an alternate number.

I'm still not sure what he was getting at there. Was the list he was referencing just an unordered group of books? What was the common mistake he was talking about?

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16129

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
First, a big apology to all for causing a lot of confusion for my careless, and partially (almost totally) incorrect post...:blush:

Next, a big thanks to Samael69 for providing us good lists one after the other..a +1 karma as soon as I hit the Submit button! ;)

Now, please bear with me as I try to explain what I meant to say.

What is do when I get a list that is a chronology/event....

1. Sort the list by Position
2. Select all, and enter the name of the Chronology/event in the Alternate Series field
3. Use the Autonumber wizard to number the Alternate number field from 1 to end as per the position

So, I expect the new Hellblazer chronology to be in position, but it is not chronologically arranged (by position)

This is the order...

..while the order should be this...

For example, Hellblazer #35 should be at position 2, but instead it is at position 67...

...and so on. Basically, all the books are in there, but we have lost the reading order. This is the common mistake.

Remedy:

I make chronological list for Seven Soldiers (attached at the end) as a Smart list, with a single criterion of "Alternate Series" being "Seven Soldiers". This is what it looks like...

Note that the position is haphazard, while the Alternate Numbers are well in place. Once I am satisfied with the order, I make a new custom list (empty), and drag all the books into it. This is the result..

The positions are automatically in sync with the Alternate number. This way you can be sure that the positions will always be correct. You will also save the hassle of dragging and dropping them into your desired positions (replaced by a lesser hassle of putting up Alternate numbers :P ). Now, I export the custom list, and upload it for you all. Open it up, and if you like, reverse the process. i.e. Sort by position, autonumber wizard the alternate number. If you want one book to be in many such lists, let it be sorted by position. While this is an advantage, I fear accidental dragging and dropping may ruin the reading order. (p.s. cYo's favorite Undo button stays silent during this).

I hope I made myself clear. My earlier post was quite careless, and I apologise from the bottom of my ComicRacked heart.. :unsure:

File Attachment:

File Name: Seven Soldiers.cbl
File Size:5 KB
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16130

• Samael69
  • Platinum Boarder
My apologies, I did indeed have those books out of order, in part due to the multiple books issue. The list is now fixed as per the description. I've even downloaded it and double-checked. Short of splitting a book in to multiple books, is there any way to have the same book in a list multiple times?

#35 was a mistake. I added it twice and it removed the first. Vertigo Secret Files and Hellblazer #75 are actually on the list twice since there are more than one story in each book that Goodrich suggests reading at different times. These I legitimately added twice and it removed the first instance, which seems to be the default behaviour.

In this case I really couldn't use the alternate number since each book can only have one and there is so much overlap between Hellblazer and Swamp Thing. I could only do one.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: [Megapost] Reading Lists 6 years 2 months ago #16131

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Yes.. we are in the correct order now!

Samael69 wrote:
Short of splitting a book in to multiple books, is there any way to have the same book in a list multiple times?
I guess currently that is not possible. This has been requested many-a-times in the past, I think. Probably, cYo will do something about it.

I again remember my request for locking a list, so that accidental misordering is prevented.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds

Who's Online

We have 190 guests and 10 members online