Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: The New 52

Re: The New 52 5 years 3 months ago #23939

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
OK, so I've been way late to actually reading the New 52 since I've been so busy organizing my library the last unknown number of years. Yet, I've finally found some time to finally start reading the New 52 books and though I've only gotten through the first 5 issues of the first 5 titles, I have to say that I've already been surprised by what I've read.

• Action Comics -
    A look at Superman when he was just getting off the ground in Metropolis...it was pretty damn awesome. The fact that he wasn't so ALL POWERFUL anymore added so much more depth to the character. I also like the spin taken on both Kent and Olsen; major improvements for both characters. Grant Morrison & Rags Morales have brought a new freshness to the man of steel I didn't think possible. I'm not to fond of Luther just yet, though at this point I'm chalking it up to the fact that he's younger here and thus less cunning as he has been in recent years.

Attachment Action-Comics-Splash-3.jpg not found

• All-Star Western -
    I didn't think this book would even be worth skimming through yet I was pleasantly surprised. Justin Gray & Jimmy Palmiotti have a major talent for writing old western era story lines. The writing on this series is way better than I expected, yet the artwork by Moritat isn't bad, and even kind of fits with the character, though I wish it was a little better. A BIG BONUS was setting the stage of Jonah Hex's first arc in Gotham City. Hex's bad ass mentality mixed with the brutality of Gotham makes for an excellent read. I honestly think the book could do without the backup stories. The main story is so good thus far that the backups just take away from this. Plus I didn't like El Diablo at all. The Barbary Ghost is a much better backup though.
  • Attachment All-Star-Western-Splash-3.jpg not found

• Animal Man -
    OK, just the thought of Animal Man's abilities and background makes this character an instant turn off for me so I've never read it in the past. Though, with the title formerly belonging to Vertigo and now apart of the New 52, I figured there must be something about this guy that gives him such priority over other characters. So, yes, it's still a character I'm not feeling much for, though, this book is getting more and more readable with the dark weird nature of this first story arc. The artwork by Travel Foreman just isn't my cup of tea though.
  • Attachment Animal-Man-Splash-3.jpg not found

• Aquaman -
    Wow!!!! That's the first thing I have to say about a character that I didn't think could ever be cool. I mean, Peter David & Martin Egeland's run on the character was the first that had me view Aquaman as a book with potential and I didn't think that would ever be matched. Well, I've finally been proven wrong, and boy am I glad! You have one of THE best DC writers ever Geoff Johns, and one of my most favorite artist who got his start in the mid to late 90s Ivan Reis. Johns' excellent writing brings great development to the character that NONE have ever seen before and Reis' artwork is breath taking. I mean, these guys have Aquaman looking like a stud instead of looking like a fish out of water. Great book ,and probably the biggest surprise of the New 52 thus far for me!
  • Batgirl -
    Here is another title wih great artwork by Ardian Syaf who's action scenes remind me a lot of the Kubert brothers. I love the Kubert's work so this is a big compliment. Plus, you have great covers by Adam Hughes...you can never go wrong there! As far as the writing goes, Gail Simone brings a welcome woman's touch to a female character and at times she's really great and at others really lacking. To me it seems like Gail is more in her elements when writing about relationships and feelings rather than crafting the cunning of a great villain. I still see potential in the book being really great all the way around so let's wait and see.

• There's my take on the first 5 titles that I've read...many more to go.
    Last Edit: 5 years 3 months ago by oraclexview.
    The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: The New 52 4 years 11 months ago #26907

• Freakeao
    • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 25
    What's the best way to get Annuals for the new 52 series to show up under this smart list?

Re: The New 52 4 years 11 months ago #27100

• Taro
    • Senior Boarder
    • Thank you received: 2
    Freakeao wrote:
    What's the best way to get Annuals for the new 52 series to show up under this smart list?
    I've been asking myself the same question. Does anyone have an answer to this using a smart list?
    The following user(s) said Thank You: dreadxero

Re: The New 52 4 years 9 months ago #28104

• Freakeao
    • Gold Boarder
    • Thank you received: 25

Re: The New 52 4 years 6 months ago #31657

• cYo
    • Thank you received: 675
    You can add this one to the folder created in my 52 lists posting:
    Name "Annuals"
    Match All
    {
        [Publisher] equals "DC Comics",
        [Imprint] equals "",
        [Format] equals "Annual",
        [Volume] is greater "2011"
    }

Re: The New 52 4 years 3 months ago #35366

• dubbleup99
    • Fresh Boarder
    Just want to point out that Sword of Sorcery is not included in the list. Other than that, love this list. Thank you so much

Re: The New 52 4 years 2 months ago #35725

• kifujin
    • Fresh Boarder
    Here's an updated one I've been messing with, as best I can tell it's current, and includes all annuals.

And Sword of Sorcery.

File Attachment:

File Name: DC - New 5...7-30.cbl
    File Size:24 KB
    Last Edit: 4 years 2 months ago by kifujin.
    Time to create page: 0.195 seconds

Who's Online

We have 236 guests and 5 members online