Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading.

Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading. 6 years 3 weeks ago #18517

• Soluzar
  • Junior Boarder
While I've read a few thousand Marvel comics in my time, I'm still pretty much a dabbler in the DC universe. I've read a big pile of Batman stories in my time but only his solo stories or those featuring characters from the "Bat Family". I haven't read much of his involvement with the Justice League.

So... I'm interested in the history behind some of these other characters. I've already started reading a Superman post-Crisis chronology. That's been fun, but sometimes the crossover events make me want to know more about the rest of the Justice League.

I'm not necessarily looking to read every issue there ever was, but I would love some recommendations or better yet, CR reading lists for some of the major events in the history of the JL. Same goes for Green Lantern, which appealed to me a lot when I saw appearances by the various Lanterns in crossover events.

I searched around a bit to find if there were any forum threads elsewhere with recommendations. I found some people recommending GL stuff, but it's all a lot more recent. Comics from the last few years. That's not really what I'm looking for. I was a child of the eighties and to me that's when comics were at their best. I'd like recommendations and reading lists for stuff from that era if at all possible. So far I picked up both Batman and Superman starting from their post-Crisis reboots, and I'd like to pick up other stuff starting from there too.

I've got no problems reading older stuff if it is still in continuity though. My tastes do tend to go backwards rather than forwards - stories from the 60s and 70s are fine. Suggestions for TPBs to buy would be welcome, as well as CR reading lists. Hope you can help. :)
Last Edit: 6 years 3 weeks ago by Soluzar.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading. 6 years 3 weeks ago #18526

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
I find this an intriguing idea.

Not chronological reading lists, but best of stuff. A collection of the best mini series, arks, runs, etc.

And not limited to JLA and Green Lantern. I always have the feeling that there is great stuff out there I'm missing :)

Re: Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading. 6 years 2 weeks ago #18539

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Soluzar wrote:
I found some people recommending GL stuff, but it's all a lot more recent. Comics from the last few years. That's not really what I'm looking for. I was a child of the eighties and to me that's when comics were at their best. I'd like recommendations and reading lists for stuff from that era if at all possible.
Here is a (recent) list I gathered prior to reading Blackest Night:
Essential reading before you pick up Blackest Night

1. GL v4 #29-35 Green Lantern: Secret Origin
2. GL v3 #48-54 Emrald Twilight + Parallax
3. Green Lantern: Rebirth (6 issue limited series, 2005)
4. Secret Files & Origins
  • Green Lantern Secret Files and Origins 1999
  • Green Lantern Secret Files and Origins 2005
  • Secret Origins of Super-Villains 80-Page Giant #1, DC Comics, 1999
  • Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Secret Files & Origins #1
5. Sinestro Corps War Vol 1 & 2
  • Green Lantern: Sinestro Corps Special #1
  • Green Lantern vol. 4, #21-#25
  • Green Lantern Corps vol. 2, #14–19
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Parallax #1
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Cyborg-Superman #1
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman-Prime #1
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Ion #1
6. Rage of the Red Lanterns
  • GL v4 #26-28
  • GL v4 #36-38
  • Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns Special One-Shot
7. Prelude to Blackest night:
  • GL: Agent Orange (GL #39-42)
  • GLC: Emerald Eclipse (GLC #33-38)

Exhaustive reading order of relevant Green Lantern trades leading into Blackest Night:

Green Lantern: Secret Origin (GL #29-35)
Green Lantern: Rebirth (GL #1, GL:rebirth #1-6)
Green Lantern: No Fear (GL #1-6, GL Secret Files #1)
Green Lantern Corps: Recharge (6 issue mini-series, 2005)
Green Lantern: Revenge of the Green Lanterns (GL #7-13)
Green Lantern Corps: To Be a Lantern (GLC #1-6)
Green Lantern: Wanted – Hal Jordan (GL #14-20)
Green Lantern Corps: A Darker Shade of Green (GLC #7-13)
Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War Vol. 1 (GL #21-23, GLC #14-15, GL: Sinestro Corps Special #1)
Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War Vol. 2 (GL #24-25, GLC #16-19)
Green Lantern: The Sinestro Corps War Vol. 3 –
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps (GL #18-20),
  • GL Sinestro Corps Secret Files & Origins #1,
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Parallax #1
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Cyborg-Superman #1
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Superman-Prime #1
  • Tales of the Sinestro Corps: Ion #1)
Green Lantern Corps: Ring Quest (GLC #19-20)
Green Lantern: Rage of the Red Lanterns (GL #26-28, GL#36-38, Final Crisis:Rage of the Red Lanterns)
Green Lantern Corps: Sins of the Star Sapphire (GLC #27-32)
Green Lantern: Agent Orange (GL #39-42)
Green Lantern Corps: Emerald Eclipse (GLC #33-38)

This list doesn't provide a perfect chronological breakdown, but it's the best one can do without purchasing the individual issues. It is worth pointing out that the Rage of the Red Lanterns trade also collects the story arc "The Alpha Lanterns", which is set immediately after The Sinestro Corps War. If possible, it's best to read these three issues first and come back to Rage at the appropriate time.
The 80's would be a bit tricky...:(
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 weeks ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading. 6 years 2 weeks ago #18543

• Soluzar
  • Junior Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
I appreciate all those suggestions and will probably check out at least some of it. That said, it's a shame that the 80s would be tricky... why is that exactly? A bad time for the series? I just happen to like the prevalent art style of that era so I would always naturally gravitate to the 80s era for any long running series.

Re: Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading. 6 years 2 weeks ago #18556

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Soluzar wrote:
600WPMPO wrote:
I appreciate all those suggestions and will probably check out at least some of it. That said, it's a shame that the 80s would be tricky... why is that exactly? A bad time for the series? I just happen to like the prevalent art style of that era so I would always naturally gravitate to the 80s era for any long running series.
Its my personal viewpoint that the 80's had cheesy dialogues in comics. So, I do not enjoy them that much now. Earlier I liked them. Accepted that the stories were much better. Watchmen, my favorite, was a product of the 80's, after-all.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Request: Justice League and Green Lantern suggested reading. 6 years 2 weeks ago #18558

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Watchmen is not primarily a product of the 80s, but of Alan Moore :)

And whatever he wrote was extraordinary (I've to read Promethea again - where there are not only Moore's words but also Williams amazing art - can't get better than that)
Time to create page: 0.189 seconds

Who's Online

We have 255 guests and one member online