Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here
  • Page:

TOPIC: "Best of" Reading Lists

"Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 10 months ago #18549

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I would like to see "Best Of" Reading Lists (e.g. limited series, runs in bigger series, singular crossover arks, exceptional runs of a writer or a penciller in a series and so on) etc.

Post your selection here and also tell us why this one is a must read :)

You surly have all your favorites, the ones that brought you into comics. The ones that contain the experience you try to relive with every Comic you buy :)
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by cYo.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 8 months ago #20757

• Brennok
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
I would definitely love to see some must read lists. It has been about 20 years since I read anything and I am looking for some good starting places.

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 8 months ago #20761

• cYo
Me too, but it seems my wish falls on deaf ears.

The beauty of reading lists is that you do not have to have the eComics in your library. You can import the lists, scrape them with the comicvine plugin and have all the info you need.

Of course they have to be real lists and not smart lists.

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 8 months ago #20764

• Brennok
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
At this point I would even settle for a chronological reading list order of the various lists already on the site.

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 7 months ago #21372

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
cYo wrote:

The beauty of reading lists is that you do not have to have the eComics in your library. You can import the lists, scrape them with the comicvine plugin and have all the info you need.

cYo, you're request has not fallen upon deaf ears. I've finally finished organizing over 95% of my collection so I've begun putting together my own personal collection of "Best of" reading lists. I've started first with the larger storylines that I've found interesting over the years. I'll also begin putting together mini-runs of titles where the art/writing combo was exceptional in my opinion. So stay tuned, because after cbanack's & Stonepaw's scripts put mine to shame, this is my new way of contributing. lol

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 6 months ago #22258

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
oraclexview wrote:
cYo wrote:

cYo, you're request has not fallen upon deaf ears. I've finally finished organizing over 95% of my collection so I've begun putting together my own personal collection of "Best of" reading lists. I've started first with the larger storylines that I've found interesting over the years. I'll also begin putting together mini-runs of titles where the art/writing combo was exceptional in my opinion. So stay tuned, because after cbanack's & Stonepaw's scripts put mine to shame, this is my new way of contributing. lol

I waaaant theeeeese! :P

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 6 months ago #22276

• JaceSimian2099
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 48
The Absolute Best of the Best Reading List
- it was very hard to widdle a list of the best of to 100 issues, especially when 52 takes 52 places; that series is my favorite though, so it had to be added. I then added in my favorite flash, batman, and superman stories. I may do a marvel version next.

The best of Mark Waid/Peter David
- Two great writers with some of the worst stuff removed.
Attachments:

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 6 months ago #22348

• skroo
  • Fresh Boarder
Is there a way to export the metadata from the XML file along with the reading list file?

For example, I made a reading list of Grant Morrison's Batman story in a suggested reading order. I used the Comic Vine scraper to gather metadata on all the books. Then I used the Library Organizer plugin to export a copy of those files with the reading order number prepended to the file name.

So I have a folder of files with names like:

01 Batman 452.cbz
02 Batman 453.cbr

Etc.

I exported the list as and placed it in the same folder.

What I would like to do is export the metadata I've scraped into a file with relative file paths, so this folder is then essentially portable. I can copy it to another computer, import the list, and all the metadata is already scraped and there.

At any rate. Here's the list I made for the above example. It isn't my reading order, I found it online. I'm a Morrison fan but I haven't started reading this yet.

Cheers.
Attachments:

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 6 months ago #22349

• cYo
Currently not. But you simply can rescrape them and also get all the covers. I may add a cbl export feature that also contains info and thumbnails in the future (this will of course make them much larger).

And thanks for all the lists. Keep them coming :)

Re: "Best of" Reading Lists 5 years 6 months ago #22350

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
skroo wrote:
What I would like to do is export the metadata I've scraped into a file with relative file paths, so this folder is then essentially portable. I can copy it to another computer, import the list, and all the metadata is already scraped and there.
I believe exporting a reading list only keeps track of basic metadata fields like the Position, Series, Volume and Number. A unique script would probably have to be written in order to do exactly what you're looking for.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.216 seconds

Who's Online

We have 203 guests and 7 members online