Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: A Quarter Century of Crises on Infinite Earths (The Ultimate Event & Story Arcs)

A Quarter Century of Crises on Infinite Earths (The Ultimate Event & Story Arcs) 5 years 5 months ago #23275

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
OK everyone, it's time that the most daring crossover event of ALL-TIME got some major attention here on ComicRack! Let me start off by saying that the first crisis (though who knew that this would grow into many crises) was released well before the time I got into DC Comics. I personally started off as a Marvel Comics fan because their character stories seemed more relatable and when reading back issues, there was a clear understanding of how characters grew over the years. Once I finally started getting into DC Comics, first through the most popular characters, Superman & Batman (thanks mostly to their movies), I wanted to go back and read their histories and how these characters grew over time. However, this wasn't as easy to do as it was with Marvel characters.

I realized that before Crisis on Infinite Earths, DC characters were kind of all over the place. One minute they're in the future, the next they're in the past, or they are hanging out with another version of themselves from 20 to 40 years prior. It all honestly made no sense. It was like, before Crisis, especially in the 60s and 70s, almost every story was more of an imaginary Elseworlds tale that you weren't sure if it was part of continuity or not.

Crisis on Infinite Earths did a pretty darn good job of fixing most of this in my opinion, and it assisted with me looking at the DC Universe as one, and not as a whole bunch of individual stories under one publishing roof.

Of course things still weren't perfect, thus we were given two more crises which also brought back the multiverse (hopefully in a much more organized fashion) and thus lead to the New 52! I'm hoping the New 52 has finally gotten it all straighten out , because if the third time isn't the charm then I don't know what is.
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by oraclexview.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: A Quarter Century of Crises on Infinite Earths (The Ultimate Event & Story Arcs) 5 years 5 months ago #23277

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Here it is...the ultimate list for Crisis on Infinite Earths event from DC Comics. The Crisis on Infinite Earths crossover main twelve issue limited series was originally published from April 1985 through March 1986. The main creative forces behind this event were the great writers Marv Wolfman & Len Wein along with Robert Greenberger and phenomenal artist George Pérez & Dick Giordano.

This crossover is special for so many reasons! First, it commemorated 50 years of DC Comics publishing. That is a long time, especially when you realize this was released in the mid 80s. Second, DC may not have created the company wide crossover (Marvel did this in an unofficial way first with Secret Wars), however it did create the popular format and magnitude of a summer comics event still used to this very day, and popularized the term "crossover". Third, and most important, it cleaned up DC Comics continuity problems within the DC Universe in a way that was quite bold and refreshing. Was it perfect...no, but it was done much better than I think anyone could have ever expected and it was a step in the right direction. The changes from Crisis on Infinite Earths are still being realized even to this very day within the DC Universe.

Attachment Pre-Crisis On Infinite Earths.cbl not found

This first list includes the pre-crisis issues which lead up to Crisis on Infinite Earths. It starts with The New Teen Titans Vol 1 #21 which has an early cameo appearance of the Monitor and ends with the DC Retroactive: Superman: The '80s Vol 2011 #1, a prequel story line where the Monitor interacts with Superman right before the main event.

Attachment Crisis on Infinite Earths Event.cbl not found

This second list includes the main Crisis On Infinite Earths story arc as well as all tie-in issues and aftermath issues. It starts with Crisis on Infinite Earths Vol 1985 #1 and ends with Batman Vol 1940 #400.

Reading the first list isn't required to follow Crisis On Infinite Earths. However, it is cool to read the bits and pieces which lead up to the main event. Even though the first early cameo of the Monitor appeared almost 3 years prior to the main event, you also have to realize that this was before the use of computers within the DC work environment (computers weren't used my DC Comics on a large project until the Millennium crossover event 3 to 6 years later) so a lot of early planning was needed to organize such an enormous event.
Last Edit: 5 years 5 months ago by oraclexview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, pressureworld

A Quarter Century of Crises on Infinite Earths (The Ultimate Event & Story Arcs) 1 year 9 months ago #44615

• dockens
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
oraclexview, thanks for putting these two lists together, but I can't seem to get the attachments, I am getting a 404 error. I realize you posted these a long time ago, so no biggie, but I was wondering if you could re-post them?

Thanks!

A Quarter Century of Crises on Infinite Earths (The Ultimate Event & Story Arcs) 1 year 3 months ago #45928

• Ladyrixx
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
I've done my own version of Crisis, with all the tie-ins. Based on this list: www.tradereadingorder.com/forum/comic-is...d-relevent-material/
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Ladyrixx.
Time to create page: 0.203 seconds

Who's Online

We have 241 guests and 5 members online