Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Marvel NOW!

Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #27737

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Marvel NOW! is a Marvel relaunch beginning in October 2012. It will bring some major changes to the Marvel Universe and launch many new ongoing series.

File Attachment:

File Name: Marvel NOW.cbl
File Size:6 KB

**********Please note: This needs a scraped library to work**********

In October 2012, following the conclusion of the major Marvel comics event, Avengers Vs. X-Men, Marvel will relaunch a number of its existing books and launch a number of key new series. This event is called "Marvel NOW!" and it will change many of Marvel's iconic characters such as Hulk, Iron Man, Captain America, Thor and Spider-Man. Asides from changes to well known characters, Marvel NOW! also incorporates changes to the Marvel Universe as a whole and the creative teams for some existing books.

Marvel have stated that there will be a new number one every week for four months (October 2012 - January 2013).

New Ongoing Volumes

New and relaunching ongoing books that have been confirmed by the company are:
  • All New X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis and Stuart Immonen
  • Avengers by Jonathan Hickman and Jerome Opena
  • Avengers Arena by Dennis Hopeless and Kev Walker
  • Cable and X-Force by Dennis Hopeless and Salvador Larroca
  • Captain America by Rick Remender and John Romita Jr.
  • Deadpool by Brian Posehn, Gerry Duggan and Tony Moore
  • Fantastic Four by Matt Fraction and Mark Bagley
  • Fearless Defenders by Cullen Bunn and Will Sliney
  • FF by Matt Fraction and Mike Allred
  • Guardians of the Galaxy by Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven
  • Indestructible Hulk by Mark Waid and Leinil Yu
  • Iron Man by Kieron Gillen and Greg Land
  • Morbius: The Living Vampire by Joe Keatinge and Rich Elson
  • New Avengers by Jonathan Hickman and Steve Epting
  • Nova by Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness
  • Thor: God of Thunder by Jason Aaron and Esad Ribic
  • Thunderbolts by Daniel Way and Steve Dillon
  • Savage Wolverine by Frank Cho
  • Secret Avengers by Nick Spencer and Luke Ross
  • Superior Spider-Man by Dan Slott and Ryan Stegman (with future issues pencilled by Humberto Ramos)
  • Uncanny Avengers by Rick Remender and John Cassaday
  • Uncanny X-Force by Sam Humphries and Ron Garney
  • Uncanny X-Men by Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo
  • Wolverine by Paul Cornell and Alan Davis
  • X-Men: Legacy by Simon Spurrier and Tan Eng Huat
  • Young Avengers by Kieron Gillen, Jamie McKelvie and Mike Norton

New Limited Volumes

The relaunch will also bring about a number of limited series including:
  • Age of Ultron by Brian Michael Bendis and Bryan Hitch. A ten-issue miniseries crossover event coming in 2013 (this arc is set before Amazing Spider-Man issue 700, as Peter Parker is still Spiderman in the story).
  • AVX: Consequences by Kieron Gillen and Tom Raney. A five-issue long series dealing with the aftermath of the company-wide event, Avengers Vs. X-Men.
  • A+X, by various creators. Featuring team-ups from members of the X-Men and the Avengers such as Hulk and Wolverine or Iron Man and Kitty Pryde.
  • Marvel NOW! point One, A one shot featuring six short stories by the creative teams of Brian Michael Bendis and Steve McNiven; Matt Fraction and Mike Allred; Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuinness; Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie; Nick Spencer and Luke Ross; Dennis Hopeless and Gabriel Hernandez Walta. These stories acted as preludes to current or upcoming "Marvel NOW! " ongoing series.
  • Punisher: Nightmare by Scott M. Gimple and Mark Texeira

Existing Volumes

Some titles that are included in Marvel NOW! are existing titles but with a new creative team, new rosters, and even new names whilst retaining their original numbering. These titles include:
  • Avengers Assemble, now by Kelly Sue DeConnick and Stefano Caselli, featuring an altered roster. Starting from issue #9.
  • Daredevil, by Mark Waid and Chris Samnee. Starting from issue #23.
  • Dark Avengers, by Jeff Parker and Neil Edwards. Focusing purely on the Dark Avengers team now that Thunderbolts is a separate title. Starting from issue #184.
  • Hawkeye, by Matt Fraction and David Aja. Starting from issue #6
  • Journey Into Mystery, now by Kathryn Immonen and Valerio Schiti with Sif replacing Loki as the series lead. Starting from issue #649.
  • Red She-Hulk carries on the numbering from Hulk. The series now focuses on Betty Ross whilst retaining Jeff Parker as writer but with Carlo Pagulayan and Wellington Alves as artists. Starting from issue #58.
  • Wolverine and the X-Men, by Jason Aaron and Nick Bradshaw. Starting from issue #19.

Many existing Marvel title aren't included in, or affected by, Marvel NOW!, including those that started just before the relaunch.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: perezmu, oraclexview, alext41, deathcry, Rufus_Thor

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #27741

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Thanks for this. Minor point of order - A+X is an ongoing, not a limited series (Yeah, I thought it was strange too.)
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28542

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
OK, sooooooo, I have to say that I'M STILL CONFUSED on the exact intent and purpose of Marvel NOW! What does "Marvel NOW!" even mean? The "New 52!" concept made perfectly clear sense. No matter what I read around the internet universe, I still can't find a clear and concise description of the exact reasoning behind doing this and the ultimate goal of doing this. It's not a "reboot" and it's not a full "relaunch". Is it suppose to be a change in philosophy where everything that takes place in the Marvel Universe is taking place in "real time" so to speak? Is it where the "Marvel NOW!" related titles will correspond directly with the Cinematic Universe they've been building? Even when reading Marvel's own press releases and creator interviews I still don't have a clear understanding of this whole undertaking. So far, all I've gathered from this is many main characters get a new #1 title (some being relaunched titles) and that there's a major creative team mash-up across the board. If this is all this campaign really is about, then straight out the gate it's already a major fail because it's done nothing other than to confuse me and make their creative house look lost and shows a major lack of creativity from the once famously known "house of ideas"! Maybe someone here can give me a definitive clear answer to help alleviate my confusion. :)

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28543

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
oraclexview wrote:
So far, all I've gathered from this is many main characters get a new #1 title (some being relaunched titles) and that there's a major creative team mash-up across the board. If this is all this campaign really is about(...)

You nailed it pretty well.

But they (cleverly) left out a (at least) loop hole to get back to the previous status quo. They even hinted at this several times in the All New X-Men #4.

Let's get the spoiler alert up. If you haven't read All New X-Men #4, you might want to take a few minutes and do so, or not even read the following block at all. It's basically some ideas regarding marvel now and the current marvel universe state:

Warning: Spoiler! [ Click to expand ]

Just my 2 cents (and some whisfull thinking)
fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, oraclexview

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28544

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
@forkicks - Thanks...every little helps. Eventually I'll have to get around to reading this and what lead up to it, yet I have to admit, I find The New 52! 10 times more interesting than this event so as of yet reading this isn't high on my list. lol

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28545

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
You really shouldn't think of NOW! as an "event", I think that's where part of your confusion comes from. It's a branding initiative...it's an event insomuchas they're saying "Here's something interesting happening in all our books!" but instead of that something interesting being plot-related, it's CREATIVE TEAM-related.

You're looking for it to have a broad story-based impact (judging from some of your examples) but that's simply not the case, no more than you'd expect from normal relaunches anyway, they just happen to be doing a bunch at once. They could have done this without renumbering the books (indeed a few NOW! books aren't #1s), but they chose to for the sake of sales.

I can understand how this could be confusing, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was meant to be plot-oriented in the first place (except possibly by analogy to Nu52). They never said anything to the effect.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Shinrai.

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28547

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Shinrai wrote:
It's a branding initiative...
'Nuff said! :P
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28548

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
From what I understand Marvel Now! is a result of the events of AvX and the House of M & Decimation.

So Marvel Now! is the new direction the stories are taking now that there are more mutants in the world again..... basically reverting back to the way things were 7 years ago.

That's the story behind it but, really, it was just a way to pick up sales :(

**EDIT:
They actually explain in Q&A format the whole point of it on the official Marvel website and they pretty much say its for a clear jumping on point for readers and new creative teams... plus they have flashy new cover layouts.
Last Edit: 4 years 10 months ago by Madmatx.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28553

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Shinrai wrote:
I can understand how this could be confusing, but I'm not sure where you got the idea that it was meant to be plot-oriented in the first place (except possibly by analogy to Nu52). They never said anything to the effect.
Actually, I never once said that I thought it was meant to be plot-oriented in the first place. What I said is "that I'M STILL CONFUSED on the exact intent and purpose of Marvel NOW!" The very first sentence of my post says EXACTLY what I thought it meant, which was that I have no idea what it was meant to be. :whistle: The only reason I compared it to The New 52 was to illustrate that that campaign (event, whatever) made perfectly clear sense about what reasons were for doing it and what the ultimate goals were. However, Marvel thus far has been as far as I can tell vague and ambiguous about the reason(s) they felt compelled to launch this campaign and the goals of it.

It basically has felt a bit deceptive in nature even if it wasn't literally deceptive, because if all this is just to say that they are shifting creative talent around (major or minor shift), then that is just ridiculous...in this industry, that is the norm, at least since I started following comics back in the mid 90s.

Honestly I think it's just a sad indication of where Marvel has gone creatively when they attempt to sell this as a big deal when in actuality it is beginning to look like just another day at the office. That's all. :) Back to the joys of reading and organizing.

Re: Marvel NOW! 4 years 10 months ago #28558

• squeedps
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
oraclexview wrote:
Actually, I never once said that I thought it was meant to be plot-oriented in the first place. What I said is "that I'M STILL CONFUSED on the exact intent and purpose of Marvel NOW!" The very first sentence of my post says EXACTLY what I thought it meant, which was that I have no idea what it was meant to be. :whistle: The only reason I compared it to The New 52 was to illustrate that that campaign (event, whatever) made perfectly clear sense about what reasons were for doing it and what the ultimate goals were. However, Marvel thus far has been as far as I can tell vague and ambiguous about the reason(s) they felt compelled to launch this campaign and the goals of it.

It basically has felt a bit deceptive in nature even if it wasn't literally deceptive, because if all this is just to say that they are shifting creative talent around (major or minor shift), then that is just ridiculous...in this industry, that is the norm, at least since I started following comics back in the mid 90s.

Honestly I think it's just a sad indication of where Marvel has gone creatively when they attempt to sell this as a big deal when in actuality it is beginning to look like just another day at the office. That's all. :) Back to the joys of reading and organizing.

I have to agree with oracle on this. When Marvel NOW! was originally announced, what I was expecting (and the way their press department made it sound) was something along the lines of New52. All books stopped, all new books started. Continuity was supposed to be ongoing and not a reboot like New52 but characters and books were going to get a shakedown. The releases of Captain Marvel, Hawkeye and Gambit were my first indicators that there was some f***ery going on with the announcement. We had three books who's story lines all start after the AvX event happens, yet were released 2+ months before it was over.
I understand the switcheroo they've done with Nick Fury and even starting the Avengers Assemble! book. Movies are money and if it draws in paying readers, so be it. Bring together the movie team in a non-continuity breaking way. Unfortunately none of the stories match up. Some characters are in 3-4 books in various parts of the world and/or universe (ie. Black Widow). The Hulk in Avengers Assemble! doesn't match the Hulk in his primary book, Invincible Hulk. The personalities are completely different. If I didn't know any better, I'd say I'm looking at the worst communication between writing teams ever. I'm surprised Stan "The Man" hasn't pitched an absolute fit up to this point over the way things are being run/written/released. He might not have any control over Marvel anymore, but that was his baby forever.

I'll leave this as my closing thought because it's just been floating there in my head for a long time.

Hopefully Marvel won't screw with the continuity of the whole 616 universe. They set themselves up for loopholes and ways out (ie. Superior Spider-Man #1 and Fantastic Four #1 through whenever they are done with this arc/story).
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds

Who's Online

We have 324 guests and 4 members online