Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: Marvel Character/Team "Best Of" Reading Lists

Marvel Character/Team "Best Of" Reading Lists 3 years 4 months ago #39780

• Nomadtla
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 10
How many times have you thought about getting into a new series or new character but don't know where to start? A lot of the "classic" Marvel characters have hundreds of stories and literally thousands of issues.

A couple months ago my friend (Kamakaze22) and I were faced with this problem. We wanted to get a better understanding of the Marvel Universe and the characters/teams in it but didn't want to read every issue. Plus there is just not enough time in the day to read them all. So we started making "best of" lists.

The idea of the "Best of" lists is to compile the highlights of a character or team so that you can get an understanding of their history in a reasonable read time.

The Guidelines
-I try to keep lists under 200 issues. Which is about a month of constant reading for me. (Most that I have done so far fall in the 100-150 range)
-I do my best to order these lists chronologically by what is considered the Marvel 616 continuity.
-I base the lists off online research from comic sites. The foundation for most of these lists have come from the Comics Should Be Good section of CBR.com. I then try and flesh it our with some stuff pulled off other sites and forums.

Some of these lists have my own preferences added and I've done the best on my attempt at following continuity. I am by no means an expert. That is why I am doing these lists in the first place. So please realize these are meant as beginner lists made by a fan. If you have questions or comments please feel free to make them. I may go back and edit lists based on these comments and I may not. Feel free to post your own Marvel lists that fit the spirit of this idea.

For the next few weeks I will post new lists for different characters or teams. I hope you like them and I hope they help you get into characters you've never tried before. I've learned a ton about the Marvel Universe just in doing research for these lists.
Last Edit: 3 years 4 months ago by Nomadtla. Reason: spelling is gud
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kamakaze22, abellnz

Marvel Charcter/Team "Best Of" Reading Lists 3 years 4 months ago #39784

• spynotebook
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 13
This sounds great. Looking forward to seeing these.

Marvel Charcter/Team "Best Of" Reading Lists 3 years 4 months ago #39792

• Nomadtla
  • Junior Boarder
The first list is X-Men. This is by far my biggest list at 307 issues.

Essentially this list comes from 50 Greatest X-Men Stories . The only thing I added was the first 3 issues of the original series.

Here they are by story title in roughly the order they appear on the list.
"The Begining" X-Men 1-3 (This is not part of that list but I always like to get a first appearance in to show how the characters began)
“The Sentinels Live!” X-Men #54-59
“In the Shadow of…Sauron” X-Men #60-63
“Second Genesis” Giant-Size X-Men #1
“The Rise of the Phoenix!” X-Men #101, 105, #107-108
“Magneto Triumphant!” X-Men #112-113
“World Tour” X-Men #114-121
“The Proteus Saga” X-Men #125-128
“Dark Phoenix Saga” X-Men #129-137
“Days of Future Past” X-Men #141/Uncanny X-Men #142
“Demon” Uncanny X-Men #143
“I, Magneto” Uncanny X-Men #150
“The Brood Saga” Uncanny X-Men #156-157, 162-167
“Blood Feud!” Uncanny X-Men #159/X-Men Annual #6 (listed between the 2 parts of "The Brood Saga" as that is where it fits in continuity)
“Magik” Uncanny X-Men #160 (plus the Magik mini-series) (also listed between parts of "The Brood Saga" for the same reason)
“Professor Xavier is a Jerk!” Uncanny X-Men #168
“God Loves, Man Kills” Marvel Graphic Novel #5
“Dancin’ in the Dark” Uncanny X-Men #169-170
“To Have and Have Not” Uncanny X-Men #172-173
“From the Ashes” Uncanny X-Men #174-175
“He’ll Never Make Me Cry” Uncanny X-Men #183
“LifeDeath” Uncanny X-Men #186, 198
“An Age Undreamed Of” Uncanny X-Men #190-191 (between the two issues of "LifeDeath")
“Asgardian Wars” New Mutants Special Edition #1 and X-Men Annual #9
"The Trial of Magneto” Uncanny X-Men #200
“Wounded Wolf” Uncanny X-Men #205
“Mutant Massacre” Uncanny X-Men #210-213, X-Factor #9-11, Thor #373-374, New Mutants #46
“Fall of the Mutants” Uncanny X-Men #225–227, X-Factor #24-26, and The New Mutants #59-61
“Earthfall” Uncanny X-Men #232-234
“A Green And Pleasant Land” Uncanny X-Men #235-238
“Inferno” New Mutants #71-73, Uncanny X-Men #239-243, X-Factor #35-39
“Crossroads” Uncanny X-Men #269, 273-277
“X-Tinction Agenda” New Mutants #95-97, Uncanny X-Men #270-272 and X-Factor #60-62 (Listed between parts of "Crossroads")
“Mutant Genesis” X-Men #1-3
“X-Cutioner’s Song” Uncanny X-Men #294-297, X-Factor #84-86, X-Men #14-16 and X-Force #16-18
“Fatal Attractions” X-Factor #92, X-Force #25, Uncanny X-Men #304, X-Men #25, Wolverine #75 and Excalibur #71
"The Phalanx Covenant" (Generation Next: Uncanny X-Men #316-317, X-Men #36-37, Life Signs: X-Factor #106, X-Force #38 and Excalibur #82 and Final Sanction: Wolverine #85 and Cable #16)
“The Age of Apocalypse” X-Men: Alpha #1, Amazing X-Men #1-4, Astonishing X-Men #1-4, X-Men: Omega #1 plus a bunch of tie-ins (Most tie-ins are included here and this story acounts for 46 issues of this list. You can choose to shorten this to your liking or based on your library)
“E is for Extinction” New X-Men #114-116
“Imperial” New X-Men #118-126
“Riot at Xavier’s” New X-Men #134-138
“Planet X” New X-Men #146-150
“Here Comes Tomorrow” New X-Men #151-154
“Gifted” Astonishing X-Men #1-6
“House of M” House of M #1-8 (You can add a whole bunch of tie-ins here as well but I did not)
“SuperNovas” X-Men #188-193
“Rise and Fall of the Shi’Ar Empire” Uncanny X-Men #475-486
“Torn” Astonishing X-Men #13-18
“Unstoppable” Astonishing X-Men #19-24, Giant-Size Astonishing X-Men #1
“Messiah Complex” X-Men: Messiah CompleX”, Uncanny X-Men #492-494, X-Men #205-207, New X-Men #44-46 and X-Factor #25-27
“Second Coming” X-Men: Second Coming #1-2, Uncanny X-Men #523-525, New Mutants #12-14, X-Men: Legacy #235-237 and X-Force #26-28

The Chronology is based off of this X-Men Reading Order

A few issues are missing because I simply do not have them.

For the next few weeks I will post new lists for different characters or teams. I hope you like them and I hope they help you get into characters you've never tried before. I've learned a ton about the Marvel Universe just in doing research for these lists.
Attachments:

Marvel Character/Team "Best Of" Reading Lists 3 years 4 months ago #39828

• Nomadtla
  • Junior Boarder
For my next list I will post the X-Family list. This list is 190 issues (one is the collected 6 issue Longshot mini so technically this is 195 issues) and covers all manner of mutant related stories that didn't fall under the specific X-Men titles. So there is some solo character stuff but mostly the side teams (X-Factor, X-Force, Excalibur, etc....).

This list comes straight from 50 Greatest X-Family Stories but again they are put in a reasonable order based on Marvel 616 continuity. With this list I did my best to keep the stories in tact so unless it was intended as a crossover I did not mix stories from one title with another even if they were occuring at roughly the same time in continuity.

The Wolverine titles from this list were left off as they all ended up included in the Wolverine list that I will put up at a later date.

Here they are by story title in roughly the order they appear on the list.
“Magneto Testament” X-Men: Magneto Testament #1-5
“Magik” Uncanny X-Men #160/Storm and Illyana: Magik #1-4
“Renewal” Marvel Graphic Novel #4
“The Demon Bear Saga” New Mutants #18-20
“Slumber Party!” New Mutants #21
“Soulwar” New Mutants #26-28
“Longshot” Longshot #1-6
“Home is Where the Heart Is” New Mutants Special Edition #1/X-Men Annual #9
“Pawns of the White Queen” New Mutants #38-40
“We Were Only Foolin’” New Mutants #45
“Why Do We Do the Things We Do?” New Mutants Annual #2/X-Men Annual #10
“Fall of the Mutants” X-Factor #24-26
“The Sword is Drawn” Excalibur: The Sword is Drawn, Excalibur #1-2
“Judgement War” X-Factor #43-50
“The Cross-Time Caper” Excalibur #12-24
“Endgame” X-Factor #65-68
“The Necrom Saga” Excalibur #42-50
“Multiple Problems” X-Factor #71-75
“X-Aminations” X-Factor #87
“The Open Hand, The Closed Fist” X-Force #19
“Days of Future Yet to Come” Excalibur #66-67
The Adventures of Cyclops and Phoenix #1-4
“Third Genesis” Generation X #1-3
Generation Next #1-4
“Road Trip” X-Force #71-75
“New Beginning” X-Force #116-120
“A World Apart” Exiles #8-10
“Final Chapter” X-Force #125-129
“Good Omens” X-Statix #1-5
“The Good and the Famous” X-Statix #21-25
“Multiple Choice” Madrox #1-5
“The Longest Night” X-Factor #1-6
“Chilhood’s End” New X-Men #20-31
“Re-X-aminations” X-Factor #13
“Multiple Issues” X-Factor #14-17
“The Quest for Magik” New X-Men #38-41
“Angels and Demons” X-Force #1-6
“Time and a Half/Overtime” X-Factor #39-50
“The Apocalypse Solution” Uncanny X-Force #1-4
“The Dark Angel Saga” Uncanny X-Force #8, 10-18
“Final Execution” Uncanny X-Force #25-35

The Chronology is based off of this X-Men Reading Order.

Attachments:
Time to create page: 0.421 seconds

Who's Online

We have 264 guests and 5 members online