Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Secret Wars Pull Lists

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 5 months ago #42188

• freakingout
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
As promised over yonder, here are a series of Secret Wars pull lists. I used as my primary resource the Wikipedia page for the event, checked against this website's guide.

The full list turned out to be massive, so I also broke it down by subcategory, with separate lists for Battle World, Warzones, Last Days, and the main series. All are attached.

I tried to simplify by just using the series title and year, but this could end up not working if any of these turn out to be ongoings -- it's not yet clear what will continue after the event. So if it calls for it, I may be revising these lists in the coming months.

Please let me know if you have any feedback, or if any of the lists don't work.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 5 months ago by freakingout.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: draint3, alext41, JemAsCR, jabalong

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 3 months ago #42539

• Shalaengyl
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Is this useful? It's a list for Time Runs Out that was just before Secret Wars. If not, please ignore then! B)

Edit: hmm, not letting me add the file. Weird. Let me see if I can upload some other way

Edit 2: Okay, I put it up here until I can figure out why I can't upload files.

wikisend.com/download/763370/Time Runs Out.cbl
Last Edit: 2 years 3 months ago by Shalaengyl.
The following user(s) said Thank You: freakingout

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 3 months ago #42541

• freakingout
  • Junior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 15
Awesome! Thank you!

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43379

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 248
Here is my complete list for Secret Wars, now that we have what seems to be the complete list.

The Zip contains four lists:
one for the Last Days tie-ins,
one for the Battleworld series,
one for the Warzones series (with Secret Wars Too included)
and of course one for the main series (with the forthcomming guide included).

The wildcard is X-Men '92 for which I have included the eight issues as so far published in 'Infinite' format rather than the print versions. Although this series is to continue I presume it will have a new #1.
Attachments:
Last Edit: 2 years 2 weeks ago by jkthemac.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boshuda

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43422

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
@jkthemac, in what order would you read your lists?

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43423

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
That is actually quite a complex thing to answer.

The simple way to see it is Last Days titles apart from Silver Surfer are mostly happening before or during SW 0&1.

Warzones books are probably best read after SW2 but they are the self contained volumes which have little impact on the wider event and can be skipped or read later.

Battleworld books are probably best read in publication order along with the main event and Silver Surfer. This is all tentative at the moment - delays seem to have knocked on into other titles so I think publication order is a good rule of thumb.

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43427

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
Thanks. I may just wait a bit longer for the chronological reading lists to be finalized. I'm not loving the lead up to this event at all anyway, and am mostly reading it to help make sense of the coming changes to the universe.

Is the event itself any better than the long-winded and often confusing Avengers titles leading up to it? Or, if I didn't like those am I likely to dislike this as well? The whole Incursions thing, the bit with Strange and everybody seemingly changing sides, Iron Man and Cap retreading the Civil War stuff, many of the major players out of the game or changed so much they might as well be (Wolverine, Cap, Thor, Hulk) -- I find it all so annoying. I've actually read fewer and fewer comics overall I disliked the lead up so much. My comics world revolves around Marvel, and when the major event turns me off I get turned off of Marvel. And when I get turned off of Marvel I get turned off of all comics until I start to miss them again. About all I'm liking are the callbacks to the original Secret Wars.

Comic Book Herald has a pretty exhaustive list, but it's almost overwhelming in how much there actually is to it. Especially when you factor in the Ultimate stuff they recommend.

Sorry for the rant. Thanks for the lists. I'm looking forward to getting all of this sorted and either reading the whole damn mess or doing a blitz of it and moving on with the Marvel Universe :).

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43438

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
He He, well put it this way. The event isn't being positioned, written or marketed as a lead into the new Marvel phase. In the long tradition of comics I am sure you can totally ignore the whole event if you just want to jump back on later.

If you just read the main 10 issue event you will probably understand most of what is happening.

If like me, you love the trival frivolity of it all, then there are some utterly wonderful reads to be had from this event.

I would suggest, if you want to tackle it at all, you should just pick up the first issues of the Warzones titles that appeal and see which ones float your boat. Basically some very talented writers and artists have been given free reign with the entire Marvel back catalogue. If that doesn't sell it nothing will.

P.S. I know it is a big if, but IF you only like Deadpool even a little bit, then that title is a satire on the first Secret Wars.
The following user(s) said Thank You: boshuda

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43439

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
boshuda wrote:
Is the event itself any better than the long-winded and often confusing Avengers titles leading up to it?

Well, I adored the Hickman stuff leading up to this, so I may not be the best person to ask.
Or, if I didn't like those am I likely to dislike this as well? The whole Incursions thing, the bit with Strange and everybody seemingly changing sides, Iron Man and Cap retreading the Civil War stuff, many of the major players out of the game or changed so much they might as well be (Wolverine, Cap, Thor, Hulk) -- I find it all so annoying.

I would guess that the event may be more easily digestible but of course it is still written by a writer you may dislike, and he is only half way through his story so I don't know yet. If you like Esad Ribic (and surely everyone loves him) then you will be dazzled by the visuals.
I've actually read fewer and fewer comics overall I disliked the lead up so much. My comics world revolves around Marvel, and when the major event turns me off I get turned off of Marvel. And when I get turned off of Marvel I get turned off of all comics until I start to miss them again. About all I'm liking are the callbacks to the original Secret Wars.

Well as I suggested above, there is bound to be some stuff tucked away in the Warzones material that you would love. Which titles did you passionately follow and I may be able to point you in the right direction? Indeed if anyone wants suggestions open a thread in the discussion area, I have read quite a lot of this so far.

They are often compared to What If? Titles because they don't ultimately matter in the long run. This may not be true, and besides many are far better than any What If I have read.

The oft heard criticism that they are 'only What Ifs' also seems a little dismissive of What If titles, which are usually interesting examinations of core themes in the main books.

Secret Wars Pull Lists 2 years 2 weeks ago #43440

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Thinking about it, I would strongly suggest not trying to digest the event all in one go anyway. It just isn't Civil War, or Age of Apocalypse. This is a small subset of intertwined books and a wider collection of totally unrelated material.

People will make a reading list out of everything, but such lists will be full of volumes that can be totally ignored, which to me negates the point of such a list.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.211 seconds

Who's Online

We have 196 guests and 8 members online