Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here
  • Page:

TOPIC: Most DC crossovers from Crisis to Brightest Day

Most DC crossovers from Crisis to Brightest Day 1 year 7 months ago #47134

• Ladyrixx
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
I've mainly been reading the Wally West Flash, and any crossover with an issue of Flash/Impulse/Young Justice in it.

The Flash CW show seems to pull lots of threads from that run of Flash, which annoys my husband to no end when I can figure out what's going on before him. :laugh:

Crisis on Infinite Earths seemed like it was important for the original reboot of the DCU; and most of the alternate Earths end up merged together. I did end up skipping the war comics and the Warlord issues in there. I couldn't bring myself to care even a little about them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Most DC crossovers from Crisis to Brightest Day 7 months 1 week ago #49308

• harley.333
  • Fresh Boarder
Personally, I started reading DC comics when Invasion #3 was on the stands. I collected the Invasion books, and it was a great introduction to the DC mythologies of that time. In my opinion, Invasion is one of the most underrated crossovers of all time (written by the massively overlooked Keith Giffen). Not only does it include all the big characters (and most of the minor characters), its plotline had a lasting impact on the DC universe. Some of the sub-plots weren't wrapped up for years. And even today, the whole concept of the "meta-gene" is still used in the DC universe.

DC was fantastic until the late 90's (the Bloodlines crossover was especially stupid - and led to me dropping comics for the most part). Bloodlines was an attempt to flood the market with new characters and as many comics as possible. In fact, the entire industry really suffered from the various publishers' attempts to flood the market. (Marvel and Image may have started the flooding, but they all participated.)

The New 52 was a pretty good relaunch of the universe. It was obviously influenced by Geoff Johns (for better or worse). But, being a relaunch, it couldn't capture the magic that I witnessed with Invasion. With Invasion, there was an entire, fully-established universe chock-full of heroes, villains, and supporting characters. I didn't know it at the time (I was 12), but Crisis on Infinite Earths (written by Marv Wolfman) forced the DC writers to clean up their continuity. Right after Crisis, DC published the "History of the DC Universe" which established a working chronology "bible" for every DC character. When writing Invasion, Keith Giffen has a fully fleshed out universe in which to play. Geoff Johns, on the other hand, didn't have something like this when he started the New 52. Plus, Geoff Johns only started the New 52 universe (he didn't write the entire thing).

Without a cohesive, planned out universe, and without a single writer spearheading the entire universe-wide storyline, New 52 simply can't hold a candle to Invasion. (But this is all my opinion :))

Most DC crossovers from Crisis to Brightest Day 7 months 1 week ago #49309

• harley.333
  • Fresh Boarder
I assume no one really checks these forums anymore. But I just have to say, Ladyrixx, these lists are fantastic! Thank you so much for taking the time to create and post them!

Most DC crossovers from Crisis to Brightest Day 7 months 1 week ago #49322

• Ladyrixx
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 39
You're welcome! :cheer:
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.147 seconds

Who's Online

We have 135 guests and one member online