Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: Secret Wars 2015

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 2 months ago #46303

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 65
I'm probably about 20-25% through the actual Secret Wars list.

I'm kind of enjoying this list. Quite a few clever plays on words (God Doom instead of god damn, etc), some clever concepts, some fun series, etc. But I think my enjoyment is being colored by the 'pointlessness' of it all. It's all going to be wiped out of existence.

There are some little bits here and there hinting at some weakness in the Doom-verse. Like when Colossus figures out the dimension hopping ability of the sword. I did enjoy the Deadpool series, where he was inserted into the original Secret Wars. That could be a lot of fun to read in a compiled format where his revisions are actually placed in an appropriate order in the original Secret Wars, so it can be read as one standalone book. Maybe some digital group dedicated to the preservation of comics could tackle that...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 2 months ago #46304

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
I can only assure you this is far from pointless in my perspective. This is not one of those stories like House of M where it is all waved away. This is a culmination of Hickman's story and a pointing forward to the future of Marvel that I will not spoil.

Do you have a Frank Herbert background? Do you get the little nods to God Emperor Dune for example, or the feudalism?

I also quite enjoyed the Deadpool story, having only read Secret Wars one quite recently. It addresses some of the failings and unspoken issues in the story in a humorous way. To be honest there was surprisingly little I read of the overall event that I didn't read with a big smile on my face.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by jkthemac.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 2 months ago #46308

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
Thanks for that perspective. It made the stuff I read yesterday more enjoyable. I really am enjoying the majority of the stories. And I have to say I don't think Marvel has had better artists ever in it's history. There are some seriously beautiful books in this list. About the only thing I'm not really caring for is the 2099 stuff, but I've never really been a fan of the 2099 universe in general, so that's not surprising. Even when Peter David wrote it, it didn't click for me. And I'm not really caring for the Armor Wars book. The Old Man Logan universe is fun to get back into. Inferno was great, loved the art on that one. MODOK was great, Elsa Bloodstone is fantastic, Infinity Gauntlet is fun (I saw Nova Prime is coming back soon! Woo-Hoo!). I've never read the Marvel Zombies books but I'm enjoying those stories that end up dealing with that universe. Mrs. Deadpool and the Howling Commandos is entertaining, and Deadpool's fourth-wall breaking 'ability' implies he'll be able to detect where things aren't as they should be.

I suspect reading all of these stories is useful, in that they keep dropping hints that various agents are aware something isn't 'right' and are all kind of working to revealing what that is. Some of them are even working to rectify things. So I'm hoping there's some sort of perfect storm payoff at the end.

I managed to force my way through a few of the Dune books several years ago. I didn't really care for them, and they haven't left much of an impression. I read as much as I did because of the high praise they receive. So I'm afraid any Dune references are lost on me.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 2 months ago #46311

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
boshuda wrote:
I suspect reading all of these stories is useful, in that they keep dropping hints that various agents are aware something isn't 'right' and are all kind of working to revealing what that is. Some of them are even working to rectify things. So I'm hoping there's some sort of perfect storm payoff at the end.

Yes, the premise is one of those Gnostic stories that genre fiction is so enamoured with. Where the truth of reality is glimpsed beyond the lie of the false creator. Where these kinds of stories have tended to fall down is in the way they resolve, which is usually through some kind of escape or reset. I suppose the Matrix movies did something more subtle, and closer to the gnostic doctrines, but the sequels were not universally popular, and with an ending like that, everyone would choose to stay on Battleworld, which would be strange. Personally I think Hickman does a great job of resolving things, but we will see what you think.

Even now I am still involved in a discussion over at CBR over what the ending signifies and how the overall structure was put together. I miss Hickman's Marvel books. I guess I will have to make do with East of West and The Black Monday Murders for now.

boshuda wrote:
I managed to force my way through a few of the Dune books several years ago. I didn't really care for them, and they haven't left much of an impression. I read as much as I did because of the high praise they receive. So I'm afraid any Dune references are lost on me.
Heretic.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by jkthemac.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 1 month ago #46322

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
I'm about 3/5 of the way through my list.

Old Man Logan. 'nuff said

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 1 month ago #46324

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
boshuda wrote:
I'm about 3/5 of the way through my list.

Old Man Logan. 'nuff said
Interesting, I found that a little disappointing. Not a fan of the art for starters, and the fact he may not be the same Old Man Logan as in the Wolverine storyline (for what that is worth because most denizens of Battleworld seem to be a little changed by the circumstances). I did enjoy the first storyline in ANAD, and I am eagerly awaiting the second storyline to wrap-up so I can read it in one go.

Which issue of the main SW title does that make you on?

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 1 month ago #46325

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
Just about to hit Secret Wars #4.

I enjoyed the original Old Man Logan. It was one of the better Wolverine stories for me. Part of it is that I hated what they did to Wolverine over the years, (bone claws, James Howlett, etc), and the Old Man Logan story didn't rely on any of that. He just felt like my Wolverine from the good ol' days when Cockrum/Claremont/Byrne et al defined Wolverine.

In this series I like how defiant he is and how he's crossing realms without permission. It's just a good old fashioned Wolverine story. Plus, I was hoping his realm traversal would eventually lead to him being a central figure in whatever resolution we eventually get to. Sounds like that won't necessarily be the case. I agree the art is a bit weak.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 1 month ago #46335

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder

Both an homage (or straight rip-off ;) ) and a HORRIBLE pun in one page...
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by boshuda.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 1 month ago #46353

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
Good catch, the reference went straight over my head.

Secret Wars 2015 1 year 1 month ago #46411

• boshuda
  • Gold Boarder
Crossbones and Red Skull. Blam! :lol:
Time to create page: 0.330 seconds

Who's Online

We have 789 guests and 3 members online