Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: Blackest Night cbl

Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5819

This is based off my own creation, though I've used 600WPMPO's list to help sort out when some of the crossovers occur and in which order. A note about why else our lists differ: when I make my chronologies, I try not to have narratives interrupt each other. For instance, Green Lantern 44 flows directly into Blackest Night 2 which flows directly into Blackest Night 3 which flows directly into Blackest Night 4. Certain other issues may well take place in between these issues, but since it would interrupt the narrative and make for very disjointed reading, I have them flow as much as possible. Any simultaneous events take place after these issues. So you'll see a lot of direct stories continue right after one another.

My order of organizing priority basically goes:
-Continuation of one issues narrative to another
-Logical chronological order of events
-Actual publication order

I'll probably start posting my Superman chronologies once I see how well this can be used. Please post any problems and/or solutions as you find them!

File Attachment:

File Name: Blackest_Night.zip
File Size:3 KB
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by DouglasBubbletrousers.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5873

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Posted last night... if someone could take a minute and try to import it, let me know how it went so we can give feedback to cYo about any improvements that can be made.

Well, DouglasBubbletrousers, this is not working.. The list is fine though (I read it with notepad, however this messsage pops up when you try to import it in CR:

When I nevertheless click "Import", it just names an entry as Blackest Night without any comics in it.

I think we were correct in assuming that the cbl won't work even if there is a minor difference in the filename. Maybe cYo will help..

p.s. the error dialog needs to change the word "where" to "were"
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5875

600WPMPO wrote:
Posted last night... if someone could take a minute and try to import it, let me know how it went so we can give feedback to cYo about any improvements that can be made.

Well, DouglasBubbletrousers, this is not working.. The list is fine though (I read it with notepad, however this messsage pops up when you try to import it in CR:

When I nevertheless click "Import", it just names an entry as Blackest Night without any comics in it.

I think we were correct in assuming that the cbl won't work even if there is a minor difference in the filename. Maybe cYo will help..

p.s. the error dialog needs to change the word "where" to "were"

Looking at the raw XML and from my own playing with it, my guess at the logic it uses is this:
-Checks for the combination of Series, Number and Format
-Checks for the file name

The problem here is, I think, that I use a format of "Standard" for regular issues and that's not set in your CR. Try this attached file and see if that works for you. If it doesn't, my guess is filename matches are the only thing that will work between instances, which won't work really as filenames could be different.

File Attachment:

File Name: Blackest_N...ke_2.zip
File Size:3 KB

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5880

• 600WPMPO
I tried your Take 2 file, but the result is exactly the same.. the same error as above..

The filenames are different, that is the entire problem. Probably, you have manually removed the scanners' name from your files.

The best format for a cbz/cbr file is :

Comic name 00/issue no (2009/2010/any damn year) (c2c/no ads) (2 covers/no of covers) (scanner)

and not: Comic_Name_issueno_c2c__2_covers___year___scanner_

also not: Comic name 00/issueno year

I am having a bad feeling that that this will not work, and sharing of reading lists shall remain as a dream :-(

Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5885

600WPMPO wrote:
I tried your Take 2 file, but the result is exactly the same.. the same error as above..

The filenames are different, that is the entire problem. Probably, you have manually removed the scanners' name from your files.

The best format for a cbz/cbr file is :

Comic name 00/issue no (2009/2010/any damn year) (c2c/no ads) (2 covers/no of covers) (scanner)

and not: Comic_Name_issueno_c2c__2_covers___year___scanner_

also not: Comic name 00/issueno year

I am having a bad feeling that that this will not work, ans haring of reading lists shall remain as a dream :-(

Not necessarily. It just may require cYo implementing some smarter matching by CR :)

And you should be careful with statements like "the best format is" as that's subjective :). For me, I don't care about details like that since they get stored in the metadata and the embedded .xml file. Also, even if we all followed one method, we may not be following one format as all of my comics are in .cbz form.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5887

• 600WPMPO
And you should be careful with statements like "the best format is" as that's subjective :). For me, I don't care about details like that since they get stored in the metadata and the embedded .xml file. Also, even if we all followed one method, we may not be following one format as all of my comics are in .cbz form.
Yes, you are correct DouglasBubbletrousers, I apologize for writing my opinion as a scientific fact. :unsure:

However, the format that I specified is the default format in which all scanners release their scans. If this format is followed, comicrack inputs the correct basic info by default.. series name, year, number. Underscores in filenames are best avoided, in my opinion. In any case, manually changing the scanners' default filename is an un-needed exercise, as their version is both uniform and informative, and may be our best bet at sharing reading lists.

And yes, I also like to store my files as cbz

Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5889

600WPMPO wrote:
Yes, you are correct DouglasBubbletrousers, I apologize for writing my opinion as a scientific fact. :unsure:

I totally came off like a tool there. Just meant to say there are always going to be people who deviate from that convention. :)
However, the format that I specified is the default format in which all scanners release their scans. If this format is followed, comicrack inputs the correct basic info by default.. series name, year, number. Underscores in filenames are best avoided, in my opinion. In any case, manually changing the scanners' default filename is an un-needed exercise, as their version is both uniform and informative, and may be our best bet at sharing reading lists.

And yes, I also like to store my files as cbz

Problem is, as soon as one person deviates, then cbls become unsharable for them. The best solution is to have CR try to match on series/volume/number, and maybe have a pop-up for multiple matches found. Possible? No idea, but it's the only way I can see this working even semi-reliably

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5890

• 600WPMPO
The best solution is to have CR try to match on series/volume/number, and maybe have a pop-up for multiple matches found. Possible? No idea, but it's the only way I can see this working even semi-reliably
Yeah, I also think so.. possible, but maybe not easy. Lets wait for cYo and see what he feels about it..

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5892

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I've not read the whole thread (on the way to work). But actually this should work (finding the best matches - creating a list with the ones that match). I'll look into it.

As said, the next version will also write smartlist information to cbls (not the final list, but the rules).

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 7 months ago #5909

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
I'd just like to chime in and agree with DougieBub - while that's the default format scans are released in, it's ugly as sin, and a lot of older scans don't use that format anyway. The relevant information should be in Metadata, not the filename!

Hopefully cYo can get this working awesomelike. <3
Time to create page: 0.316 seconds

Who's Online

We have 227 guests and 5 members online