Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: Blackest Night cbl

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5910

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Even for matters of simplifying filenames for using them in, say, linux scripts, the least amount of information should be kept in the filename, and the rest, in the metadata. That is its purpose after all.

IMHO, scanner credits are not filename material. They are there mostly for bragging rights, and don't bring much to the table in what concerns information. Sure, you may have your favorite scanners for many reasons, but that can be neatly set in the metadata. If for no other reason than some scanners use weird name-tags with numbers/symbols that can mess up parsers.

On this matter, im +1 with keeping filenames to a minimum - series, number, year at most.

But thats just my 2 cents.

fK
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5914

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
I checked the list what the problem is.

ComicRack uses following tactics to find files from reading lists in your library:

1) the id -> works only if you exported it yourself as each library generates unique ids
2) the filename -> you renamed them all so no match there
3) series+number+volume+format - you seem to have tagged most of the comics with the format "standard" so hard chance for matches here either

Next release of ComicRack will add the following steps:

4) series+number+volume
5) series+number

this way you should find at least something in your own library. There may be mismatches but it should work better.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5915

cYo wrote:

ComicRack uses following tactics to find files from reading lists in your library:

1) the id -> works only if you exported it yourself as each library generates unique ids
3) series+number+volume+format - you seem to have tagged most of the comics with the format "standard" so hard chance for matches here either

4) series+number+volume
5) series+number

this way you should find at least something in your own library. There may be mismatches but it should work better.

Can I make the suggestion that it should use Year instead of volume? Given the number of differences in what people decide volume should be, Year would work better (scanners also tag year, so the value is set pretty often).

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5919

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
cYo wrote:

4) series+number+volume
5) series+number

Can I make the suggestion that it should use Year instead of volume? Given the number of differences in what people decide volume should be, Year would work better (scanners also tag year, so the value is set pretty often).

Have it try both interchangably. This almost doubles the number of steps but I can't imagine the overhead is THAT significant.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5920

Shinrai wrote:
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:

Have it try both interchangably. This almost doubles the number of steps but I can't imagine the overhead is THAT significant.

I think that should be okay as long as it checks the year first. If it checks the volume first, it could find a bad match and continue.

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5921

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
Yeah, the year is way less likely to be incorrect so that's a better place to start.

EDIT: This might be asking a lot, but what about if it doesn't find a single match, you get a prompt to select a book? Or possibly a right-click option on a red-X book to 'Locate This Book' or something?
Last Edit: 7 years 9 months ago by Shinrai. Reason: Idea

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5922

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
next release will add year to cbl lists.

import will permute through all combinations of format,volume,year

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5925

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
And that's why cYo is a world-class software developer, boys and girls!

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5931

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
cYo wrote:
next release will add year to cbl lists.

import will permute through all combinations of format,volume,year

Hi, I was wondering if the Comicvine Id number could be helpful here?

Re:Blackest Night cbl 7 years 9 months ago #5934

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
perezmu wrote:
I was wondering if the Comicvine Id number could be helpful here?
I vote for that perezmu, that's a great idea!! :woohoo:

I believe that the Comicvine Id number is unique for each comic, and if the cbl lists could be based solely on this ID, there is no possibility of any discrepancy.

This would also help out another issue that has got me worried. Its my opinion that cbl should, as a rule, not contain filenames. We have enough metadata on our hands to feed a cbl for proper listing. Enlisting a filename commits a person to possessing a particular file. Though most of you disagree, there are a lot of users who keep the filename in the scanners' format. In that scenario, opening a cbl with notepad can easily reveal a particular scanner tag, and posting the list here then does land us on the edgy side of things.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds

Who's Online

We have 217 guests and 3 members online