Welcome, Guest
Post your Reading Lists here

TOPIC: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology

Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 7 years 4 months ago #8135

I maintain an extensive post-Crisis Superman Chronology on some other sites, so I figure it would be good to post here. This will include all post-Crisis appearances of Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Superboy, Steel, all the Supergirls and the Eradicator, including team appearances and appearances in other books.

The only thing I anticipate being troublesome with the import is when I include edits of books. I use the number and format fields to denote the edit (for instance, format="Edit" and number="01 (Superman Only)"). Not sure how the import will handle this, so we'll give it a shot.

Let me know any trouble.

File Attachment:

File Name: Superman_C...logy.zip
File Size:96 KB
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: coyney1206

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 6 years 2 months ago #16080

DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
I maintain an extensive post-Crisis Superman Chronology on some other sites, so I figure it would be good to post here. This will include all post-Crisis appearances of Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Superboy, Steel, all the Supergirls and the Eradicator, including team appearances and appearances in other books.

The only thing I anticipate being troublesome with the import is when I include edits of books. I use the number and format fields to denote the edit (for instance, format="Edit" and number="01 (Superman Only)"). Not sure how the import will handle this, so we'll give it a shot.

I got it.
Seems to be working fine for me.
Great work as I find no errors so far.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 5 years 11 months ago #17923

  • JouBqa
  • JouBqa's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Posts: 15
  • Karma: 0
thanks! would be nice to have one for post-crisis batman too
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 5 years 11 months ago #18509

  • Soluzar
  • Soluzar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
JouBqa wrote:
thanks! would be nice to have one for post-crisis batman too
As for a chronology, this works for me...

therealbatmanchronoproject.blogspot.com/

Turning it into a set of reading lists involves deciding exactly which of the apocryphal stories you want to include. The site doesn't just list the stories which perfectly fit continuity, it also suggests stories which don't quite fit and which would need some alteration to perfectly slot in.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 5 years 11 months ago #18512

Soluzar wrote:
JouBqa wrote:
thanks! would be nice to have one for post-crisis batman too
As for a chronology, this works for me...

therealbatmanchronoproject.blogspot.com/

Turning it into a set of reading lists involves deciding exactly which of the apocryphal stories you want to include. The site doesn't just list the stories which perfectly fit continuity, it also suggests stories which don't quite fit and which would need some alteration to perfectly slot in.

I'm actually using that site to develop one now, but it will still probably be a while. The site is VERY opinionated and nonobjective, so sorting out which should be included and which aren't due to it's owner's "random internet nerd" opinions is a bit tricky. Also, it only includes Batman appearances, so when I finalize mine it will include all the Robins/Batgirls/Huntress/Birds of Prey/Catwoman/Harley/Ivy/etc.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 5 years 11 months ago #18515

  • Soluzar
  • Soluzar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Soluzar wrote:
JouBqa wrote:
thanks! would be nice to have one for post-crisis batman too
As for a chronology, this works for me...

therealbatmanchronoproject.blogspot.com/

Turning it into a set of reading lists involves deciding exactly which of the apocryphal stories you want to include. The site doesn't just list the stories which perfectly fit continuity, it also suggests stories which don't quite fit and which would need some alteration to perfectly slot in.

I'm actually using that site to develop one now, but it will still probably be a while. The site is VERY opinionated and nonobjective, so sorting out which should be included and which aren't due to it's owner's "random internet nerd" opinions is a bit tricky. Also, it only includes Batman appearances, so when I finalize mine it will include all the Robins/Batgirls/Huntress/Birds of Prey/Catwoman/Harley/Ivy/etc.
Yes... I did notice that often his choice of stories or placement of stories is due to how much he likes them rather than any real basis. I'm definitely of the opinion that not all the published stories can fit into a single, coherent chronology though. Batman continuity is a bit of a mess. I like using his site as a basis to form my own opinions. My own preferred reading includes some things he doesn't like.

While I've got you here I might as well ask you a question about your Superman stuff.
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
I maintain an extensive post-Crisis Superman Chronology on some other sites, so I figure it would be good to post here. This will include all post-Crisis appearances of Superman, Lois Lane, Lex Luthor, Superboy, Steel, all the Supergirls and the Eradicator, including team appearances and appearances in other books.

The only thing I anticipate being troublesome with the import is when I include edits of books. I use the number and format fields to denote the edit (for instance, format="Edit" and number="01 (Superman Only)"). Not sure how the import will handle this, so we'll give it a shot.

Let me know any trouble.
Your reading lists fail to find a lot of books in my library. Mine are tagged by ComicVineScraper and as you predicted it's your non-standard terminology that we run into problems with. It isn't a problem though, I've manually assembled some reading lists based on parts of your chronology from the other places you've posted it.

I'm not really complaining. Your actual chronology is great, even if these lists don't work so well for me. It's good stuff. :)

On the topic of the comics included... I'm fairly new to Superman and the Justice League, so perhaps someone can clue me in... just what exactly happened between the "Silver Age" comics you included with the Justice League of old, and the "Legends" crossover featuring the Justice League's new roster?

Is there a story I can read that might fill in that blank for me? While I've read a lot of Batman in the past, your chronology was pretty much my starting point with Superman and many of the JL characters. I just want to know why the league goes through a complete change of members.

Is there a Justice League chronology that you know of? Or at least a set of suggested reading?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 5 years 11 months ago #18516

Soluzar wrote:
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Soluzar wrote:
On the topic of the comics included... I'm fairly new to Superman and the Justice League, so perhaps someone can clue me in... just what exactly happened between the "Silver Age" comics you included with the Justice League of old, and the "Legends" crossover featuring the Justice League's new roster?

Is there a story I can read that might fill in that blank for me? While I've read a lot of Batman in the past, your chronology was pretty much my starting point with Superman and many of the JL characters. I just want to know why the league goes through a complete change of members.

Is there a Justice League chronology that you know of? Or at least a set of suggested reading?

Yes, I have one of those too. I can post the lists. Essentially, the League disbanded and reformed twice, once as the "Justice League Detroit" team then again when the original book came to an end. The stories in chapter 39 "War of the Worlds" detail the disbanding of the original League and the reformation into the Justice League Detroit in chapter 40 "Rebirth".
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Superman Post-Crisis Chronology 5 years 11 months ago #18518

  • Soluzar
  • Soluzar's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
DouglasBubbletrousers wrote:
Yes, I have one of those too. I can post the lists. Essentially, the League disbanded and reformed twice, once as the "Justice League Detroit" team then again when the original book came to an end. The stories in chapter 39 "War of the Worlds" detail the disbanding of the original League and the reformation into the Justice League Detroit in chapter 40 "Rebirth".
Please do post them. Perhaps my newly-created topic would be the place. I'll be delighted with that. If the tags on the issues are in a custom format like the ones on the Superman lists, it would be good if you could post a textual list of the issues included as well.

I appreciate it a lot.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.193 seconds

Who's Online

We have 181 guests and 4 members online