Welcome, Guest
Introduce yourself

TOPIC: Oh, by the way, hi !

Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18623

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
  • Thank you received: 32
Just noticed I never took the time to introduce myself - apologies for my very bad etiquette. I blame it on the awesomeness of ComicRack: when I joined the forums 1.5 year ago, I couldn't wait wait to dive into it and completely forgot my manners !

I started reading comics when I was 7 years old, and it's all thanks to my older brothers: I discovered by chance while I was going through a pile of books in their room, a Dr Strange they borrowed from the neighbors son. If you don't know what that is, then you're probably younger than me ;) If you do, well it means you weren't born in the digital age.B)

I absolutely loved reading the 2-3 Dr Strange I found at the time, and couldn't wait to read more of these fascinating "comics": I was raised in a household where reading was like sleeping or eating: everyone did it, everyone talked about it, and everyone loved it. And of course, I was told as a kid that comics were not "real books".

Fast forward several years later, after reading every french/belgian comic book I could possibly get my hands on at the school library (Tintin, Obelix & Asterix, Blake & Mortimer, Gaston Lagaffe..) I started wondering if I'd ever see any "true comics" ever again. Where I grew up, comics were not easy to find in libraries and there were no comics shops - in the entire country - at the time.

You can imagine how I felt when I went to study overseas and at the age of 17 finally got to step into a real comics shop. Once again I was a child :) And a teenager and a adult as I started saving some of my part-time job money to buy comics. (Pretty damn expensive for a student away from home..)
I realized then that Dr Strange was already kind of old school, and started borrowing and reading as many comics as I could, staying countless hours in the stores reading the comics I couldn't afford to buy, right there standing up by the store shelves.

In 1995-96 I discovered the internet, and if at first digital comics were very scarce, it was a gold mine of knowledge: what started as a kid's interest for a new literature genre, evolved into a complete passion for the art and world of comics. I discovered so many things about my favorite writers, pencilers, artists, characters, series. It was a great way to start reading comics in their original language as well, and I never went back to reading them translated if I could avoid it. oh, and I got to meet comics nerds like me ;)

I also read quite a bit of mangas, but my heart belongs and always will belong to Stan Lee's universe and whatever it evolves into.

I found this forum while looking not for a reader but for a way to organize my digital comics. When I switched to Mac, I kept an old PC for the sole purpose of running ComicRack. I recently moved to a new place, and got rid of my PC. It took me a few months to finally get around setting up ComicRack again: this time it's running on my iMac, thanks to a Windows virtual machine.

Besides the features and goodness ComicRack delivers to any comics collector, it's the friendliness and excellent sense of sharing of its users community that makes me stick to ComicRack, through moves and system change. I hope to participate more and more as I become more knowledgeable about ComicRack, I think this community and this little genius piece of software deserve all our love & attention :)
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
Join us on IRC, don't be shy :) Server:irc.rizon.net Channel:#comicrack
More info here
Last Edit: 5 years 10 months ago by O.Ren.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Stonepaw, Helmic

Re: Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18633

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
O.Ren wrote:
Just noticed I never took the time to introduce myself - apologies for my very bad etiquette. I blame it on the awesomeness of ComicRack: when I joined the forums 1.5 year ago, I couldn't wait wait to dive into it and completely forgot my manners !
Welcome to the forums O.Ren..! :)

It really is a pleasure to read your well-written posts. I'm already a fan of yours. Here is what happened when I met you at your place. I mistook you for the joker! :laugh:

O.Ren wrote:
I was told as a kid that comics were not "real books".
True, very true. I meet such people everyday and now I don't pay any attention to them.
O.Ren wrote:
When I switched to Mac, I kept an old PC for the sole purpose of running ComicRack. I recently moved to a new place, and got rid of my PC. It took me a few months to finally get around setting up ComicRack again: this time it's running on my iMac, thanks to a Windows virtual machine.
I am in a transition here. I use a Mac now for everything, my PC *only* for ComicRack now. Feel very lazy to switch on my virtual machine. See my Rack on a Mac post.
O.Ren wrote:
Besides the features and goodness ComicRack delivers to any comics collector, it's the friendliness and excellent sense of sharing of its users community that makes me stick to ComicRack, through moves and system change. I hope to participate more and more as I become more knowledgeable about ComicRack, I think this community and this little genius piece of software deserve all our love & attention.
The pleasure & privilege is all ours. :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18638

• donspace
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 17
First ... Welcome O.Ren. Amusing to say that given you've been around more than a year longer than I.

Second ... Loved your intro story. More of us should post stuff like that. More of us may have, I imagine, but I'm relatively new and haven't dug that deep into these forums.

Third ... thanks for your contributions to my "Noob" posts.

Last ... I started with Mac (as in Apple II people!) but I've been nearly exclusive to PC based systems for a while now. Now I'm too old to change my ways.

D
Java devil, you are now my bitch.

Re: Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18648

• O.Ren
  • Expert Boarder
  • Ahoy !
  • Thank you received: 32
Thank you guys for the lovely warm welcome :)

@600WPMO, love your customized comics excerpt, they always make me laugh :laugh:
I remember the Rack on a Mac topic, just volunteered to do a tutorial for Mac users to show them it's possible to get the best of both worlds.

@Donspace, indeed I registered slightly before you did on the forum, but after a short period only I dropped off the radar, too busy with other priorities, and subsequently didn't need to change much in ComicRack for a while so I was M.I.A :blush:

Doesn't matter what system we run on our computers, what matters is we're all aligned on what software we use for our comics :P
ComicRackers, ASSEMBLE !
Join us on IRC, don't be shy :) Server:irc.rizon.net Channel:#comicrack
More info here

Re: Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18651

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
O.Ren wrote:
I remember the Rack on a Mac topic, just volunteered to do a tutorial for Mac users to show them it's possible to get the best of both worlds.
Eagerly awaiting... :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18652

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 267
Welcome!

Nice to know a bit about you. See you around the forums and on IRC!

(Now off to post a reply for you about the Library Organizer ;) )

Re: Oh, by the way, hi ! 5 years 10 months ago #18653

• Helmic
  • Expert Boarder
  • (Don't be) That guy
  • Thank you received: 82
Am actually 'bout to post a couple templates for manga sites. Might be up your alley.

Welcome aboard, do appreciate the advertisin' space.
Request webcomics on IRC: http://widget.mibbit.com/?server=irc.rizon.net&channel=%23comicrack
server: irc.rizon.net
channel: #comicrack
Or in the webcomics subforum: http://comicrack.cyolito.com/forum/22-web-comics
Time to create page: 0.198 seconds

Who's Online

We have 213 guests and 6 members online