Welcome, Guest
Introduce yourself

TOPIC: Hey y'all and refresh library question

Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 1 month ago #26576

  • vitovega
  • vitovega's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
Hey all,

Love this product and am super excited to get my collection in a state to appease my OCD. I have a (relatively) large collection (4500) and am trying to use ComicVineScraper to get the metadata. My collection is relatively well titled (informative that is) but had leading numbers that gave the ComicVineScraper some troubles during the search phase. I found the "Remove Leading numbers" plug in and after some googling figured out I needed to "Commit Proposed Values" and "Update eComics" (despite still not really understanding what I did) to get it to work. So I'm chugging along until I encountered my Amazing Spider-man collection that was unfortunately labeled ASM001, ASM002...etc. I changed the file names with a simple file renamer but the ASM versions remain in my Library in Comicrack, though I obviously can no longer open them.

My questions are:

1) How do I refresh my Library to delete broken links? And along the same lines but I assume a different process, fully rescan the folder I've designated as my Comics folder for new books?

2) and more generally, does anyone have any advice for a noob on the best way (read: most efficient) way to metatag all my eComics? The process I have going so far is pretty good, but it will still take forever to do all 4500...

3)if you're feeling extra helpful, could you explain what the "Commit Proposed Values" Automation does? I heard talk of gray but didn't see any gray and am just confused about its purpose.

Thanks in advance guys! Will very shortly be making a donation.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by vitovega.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 1 month ago #26577

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1328
  • Thank you received: 508
  • Karma: 182
vitovega wrote:
2) and more generally, does anyone have any advice for a noob on the best way (read: most efficient) way to metatag all my eComics? The process I have going so far is pretty good, but it will still take forever to do all 4500...
One thing you can do is make a "Smart List" of comics that do not contain "CVDB" in their tags (or notes) field. This should give you a self-updating list of your currently "unscraped" comics, which can make it a lot easier to scrape them in smaller groups without missing any.

You may be able to use the ALT_SEARCH_REGEX setting to teach Comic Vine Scraper to recognize some of your comics whose names are giving it trouble, as long as you've used a consistent naming scheme for those comics. I can help with this, if you give me some examples of your comic naming format.

Another way to make the scraper recognize your comic book names is to use a bulk renaming tool to rename the files to the "standard" format like "series name #num (ignored).cbz". For example:

Amazing Spider Man #200 (blah blah).cbz

Just be careful when scraping different volumes with the same name (i.e. Comic Vine has multiple volumes of "Thor", so there's more than one comic book called "Thor #1", but if you have both and scrape them at the same time, the scraper will think they are all part of the same series.)

Finally (I say this to everyone) if you're doing all that work scraping your collection, you should consider turning on the "Allow Writing of Book Info into Files" feature, as described here.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by cbanack.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitovega

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 1 month ago #26579

  • vitovega
  • vitovega's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
Wow, @cbanack, thanks so much. Read up on the "Allow Writing of Book Info into Files" and am honestly a little surprised its not enabled by default. Great advice! All of my comics are currently residing on a Linux NAS (synology). I'm not sure where Comicrack is storing the db files but I'm assuming somewhere on the Win7 machine I installed/use it on. Would you suggest I convert all my Comics to CBZ format (like you suggest to the other guy in your last link) BEFORE I scrape any further? And, out of curiosity, can I covert PDF's to CBZ as well?

Also, you've already been extremely helpful, but any help on how to "Clean" my library of all the old broken links to comics I've renamed?

Thanks again!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 1 month ago #26581

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1328
  • Thank you received: 508
  • Karma: 182
vitovega wrote:
Read up on the "Allow Writing of Book Info into Files" and am honestly a little surprised its not enabled by default.
Yeah, I really wish it was. But I think some people argue that it is inappropriate or unexpected for a library program like ComicRack to change your comic book files just because you added them to your library.
vitovega wrote:
Great advice! All of my comics are currently residing on a Linux NAS (synology). I'm not sure where Comicrack is storing the db files but I'm assuming somewhere on the Win7 machine I installed/use it on.
Yup, somewhere in C:\Users\username\AppData, I believe. It's also possible to change where the db is stored, though I don't remember how. But I think it is simpler to just store your scraped metadata inside each of your comic files, then you can always start over with a blank db anytime you want.
vitovega wrote:
Would you suggest I convert all my Comics to CBZ format (like you suggest to the other guy in your last link) BEFORE I scrape any further? And, out of curiosity, can I covert PDF's to CBZ as well?
I've never tried to convert PDF to CBZ, but from what I know about how the insides of those two file formats work, I imagine it would be quite tricky to convert between the two, so I'm betting ComicRack doesn't do it.

Yes, I would suggest that you always convert all of your comics to CBZ format. ComicRack can't write to CBR files properly (because the RAR library needed to do that is not free.) I would convert them all to CBZ format, then rescrape everything (don't worry, the scraper works 100% automatically when rescraping previously scraped comics) and then continue from there. If you want to check to make sure your data is being added to your comics, just rename one of them from something.cbz to something.zip, and then double click on the .zip file to see whats inside. You should be able to find a file in there with your scraped metadata.
vitovega wrote:
Also, you've already been extremely helpful, but any help on how to "Clean" my library of all the old broken links to comics I've renamed?
I ran into that very same problem the other day, but I only had a few broken comic links, so I just deleted them. I'm 90% sure there is a better way to do this, but I don't know what it is. Hopefully someone else here will tell us both.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by cbanack.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitovega

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 1 month ago #26582

  • Shinrai
  • Shinrai's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Posts: 885
  • Thank you received: 81
  • Karma: 33
cbanack wrote:
vitovega wrote:
Read up on the "Allow Writing of Book Info into Files" and am honestly a little surprised its not enabled by default.
Yeah, I really wish it was. But I think some people argue that it is inappropriate or unexpected for a library program like ComicRack to change your comic book files just because you added them to your library.

In point of fact, it used to be enabled by default until we had a couple of complaints about it altering hashes/checksums of files.

cbanack wrote:
vitovega wrote:
Also, you've already been extremely helpful, but any help on how to "Clean" my library of all the old broken links to comics I've renamed?
I ran into that very same problem the other day, but I only had a few broken comic links, so I just deleted them. I'm 90% sure there is a better way to do this, but I don't know what it is. Hopefully someone else here will tell us both.

There's an option in the library settings to automatically remove missing files when you run a scan. If you have a lot of them, maybe tick that on.
Last Edit: 5 years 1 month ago by Shinrai.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: vitovega

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 3 days ago #27074

  • vitovega
  • vitovega's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
Hey all,

I've been super busy, and finally got around to beginning the long road to an organized comic Library. I'm following the very helpful advice of @cbanack, specifically I exported all the comics I had in CBR form to my PC (Because they were residing on a Linux box), converted to CBZ and then exported back into my main folder on my Linux box. I have 2 problems/questions:

1) After the export of CBZ's back to my Linux box, I deleted the files on my PC from my Library and for reals. I did this by highlighting all the files my smart folder that filtered comics that contain CBR and the file path of the comics on the PC (I also have one that filters comics that contain CBZ and are on the PC). I was surprised that the CBR/PC smartlist was still populated since I had converted them all to CBZ, but I guess its because ComicRack doesn't delete anything from the Library unless its explicitly told to. Regardless, when I highlighted all the comics in the CBR/PC smartlist and Deleted them it also deleted all the CBZ's. This is fine as its eventually what I wanted but thought that deleting the CBR's would just delete the phantom references to comics that no longer existed (since the conversion to CBZ). Just curious if anybody has any info on this cause it has serious implications for me going forward.

2) After the export of CBZ's back to my Linux box, I noticed that my smart folder filtering all comics that contain CBR that are on my Linux box is about 200 comics larger than the smart folder filtering all comics that contain CBZ that are on my Linux Box. This is curious since to convert everything I just exported the CBR/Linux Box smart folder to my PC, converted, then exported back to Linux. Those smart folders should contain the same number of comics. How do I create a smart folder that shows me every comic on my Linux box that is in CBR format and NOT CBZ format? I tried briefly this morning and couldn't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for all your help.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 3 days ago #27075

  • forkicks
  • forkicks's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 871
  • Thank you received: 109
  • Karma: 37
vitovega wrote:
Hey all,
1) After the export of CBZ's back to my Linux box, I deleted the files on my PC from my Library and for reals. I did this by highlighting all the files my smart folder that filtered comics that contain CBR and the file path of the comics on the PC (I also have one that filters comics that contain CBZ and are on the PC). I was surprised that the CBR/PC smartlist was still populated since I had converted them all to CBZ, but I guess its because ComicRack doesn't delete anything from the Library unless its explicitly told to.

It just needed a refresh library at this point, to clear the "phantom" entries.
vitovega wrote:
Regardless, when I highlighted all the comics in the CBR/PC smartlist and Deleted them it also deleted all the CBZ's. This is fine as its eventually what I wanted but thought that deleting the CBR's would just delete the phantom references to comics that no longer existed (since the conversion to CBZ). Just curious if anybody has any info on this cause it has serious implications for me going forward.

When convert the file to a new format, the actual entry in the library will point to the new one, thats why you got this behaviour. This is by design, to account for you converting your files and then losing sight of them after a refresh. This way the library always points to the most recent one.

vitovega wrote:
2) After the export of CBZ's back to my Linux box, I noticed that my smart folder filtering all comics that contain CBR that are on my Linux box is about 200 comics larger than the smart folder filtering all comics that contain CBZ that are on my Linux Box. This is curious since to convert everything I just exported the CBR/Linux Box smart folder to my PC, converted, then exported back to Linux. Those smart folders should contain the same number of comics. How do I create a smart folder that shows me every comic on my Linux box that is in CBR format and NOT CBZ format? I tried briefly this morning and couldn't figure it out.

Thanks in advance for all your help.

Instead of smart list, "Show duplicates" should give you what you need. It will show you all the books with same name/number/etc (disregarding file format).

fK
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 3 days ago #27076

  • vitovega
  • vitovega's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Junior Boarder
  • Posts: 21
  • Karma: 0
@forkicks thanks so much! So looks like I'll be able to safely delete all the items in my CBR/Linux box smart list...once I sort out the extra 200 comics

As far as the "show duplicates", I will be looking up how to do that shortly, but I was wondering about how to do it with a smartlist because I really want the INVERSE of the duplicates. I'm thinking it'll still take a long time to figure out which of the CBR's I don't have duplicates of if I'm just looking at a big list of duplicates and comparing them to another huge list..

And one last quick question, whats the fastest way to do a "Refresh Library"?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hey y'all and refresh library question 5 years 3 days ago #27077

  • forkicks
  • forkicks's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 871
  • Thank you received: 109
  • Karma: 37
SHIFT-CTRL-S

fK
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Who's Online

We have 281 guests and 4 members online