Welcome, Guest
Introduce yourself
  • Page:

TOPIC: Intro and apology!

Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33189

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 45
First off, I wanted to apologize for not making an introductory post before now. Most of the forums I've belonged to didn't have an intro category and while I read the rules before I first posted, I never really gave two thoughts to it. I had been lurking for a few weeks when I saw someone who needed help with something that I thought I'd be able to offer assistance on. Now here I am 17 posts later and still never made an introduction. So, again, want to apologize for popping up like a ninja out of nowhere!

Anyhow, I figured I'd make an intro now in hopes of correcting my bad etiquette. (Be forewarned, I have no idea what I'm doing here :blush: )
So here goes:
My name is Adam, you can call me that, wojo, or Lord Wojo (a guy can dream can't he? :P ). I read comics religiously when I was a kid, but when I hit about age 13, some personal problems made it impossible to continue collecting. I never lost interest in them though and was able to watch a lot of the cartoons based on comics during the 90's and early 00's (1992 X-Men & Batman, 1994 Iron Man & Fantastic Four, 1996 Hulk & Superman, 1999 Batman Beyond, 2001 Justice League). At least in that aspect I was able to stay somewhat connected to the characters I loved growing up.

So skip ahead (from age 13 to 28) to about a month ago, and I finally got back into comics. I had been watching Walking Dead since it started, and after season 3 ended, I finally couldn't take it anymore and had to get the graphic novels. While I was looking around online for them, I stumbled upon the Marvel Comics DVD collections that they did for a few years, and the feeling of nostalgia I had when I saw them was so powerful that I decided I had to get back into reading comics. Of course that lead me to the cbr/cbz format, which lead me to comicrack, which lead me here!
Congratulations, you've just been subjected to my (comic) life's story! :evil:

P.S. Having a cold + pseudoephedrine = rambling posts. :whistle:
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by wojosama.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33195

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Welcome to the forums Lord Wojo! B)

I liked your intro post quite a lot. It's good to see that you have returned back to the world of comics after so many years. It must almost feel like how Steve Rogers would have felt after getting resurrected after his cryostasis in WWII. What are you reading these days? Has the comics medium changed in so many years?

I feel that comics have lost 2 things in these past 10 years: innocence & honesty. Everything is a gimmick now. We can have best-sellers now, but not masterpieces.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33198

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
You just made my dream come true! :woohoo:
Also, thank you for the kind words!

Right now I'm reading most of the New 52. I was more of a marvel kid so I was much more familiar with the backgrounds in that universe, and since its a reboot of sorts (not really sure what to call a "pick and choose random continuity to keep" relaunch lol) I thought it would be a good starting point while I sorted out how the heck I was going to figure out a reading order for the overwhelming amount (10k+) of marvel comics I acquired. So many crossovers and stuff it makes my head spin. I have a plan for it, but implementing it.. that's another story.

You're absolutely right about the loss of innocence and honesty. So much has changed in the comic world since I was a kid. Stuff I see in comics published in the last few years, I couldn't have fathomed back then. Not to say I dislike it, it's just very different. If you compare the first few issues of the original Fantastic Four, to the stuff that came out 30+ years later in the 90s, its obviously very different, but IMO not nearly as different as comparing the stuff from the 90s to today.

It seems like a lot (definitely not all though) of what they are trying to sell now is based more on shock value than content (like you said about the gimmicks, and not having any true masterpieces anymore).

Overall, I'd have to say 2 of the most extreme examples for me were Catwoman #1 from the New 52, and the 5 issue Destroyer series from Marvel Max. Like I said though, it's not that I dislike it (in fact I really liked the Destroyer mini), it was just crazy how different it was.
Last Edit: 4 years 6 months ago by wojosama.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33199

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
Yes, welcome to the Box Office world of Comics. No simple stories anymore.

I'm just now working my way through some backlog of Ultimates (the American civil was thing) and have to say I very much wish back the time of the original Millar Ultimates run (which of course was a rip off off of his Authority run). But back then you could still read JUST the Ultimates without every other series participating in the EVENT :)

Rant off.

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33204

• wojosama
  • Gold Boarder
cYo wrote:
Yes, welcome to the Box Office world of Comics. No simple stories anymore...
...back then you could still read JUST the Ultimates without every other series participating in the EVENT :)

Rant off.

Heh posted at the exact same time. Also, its only a rant if you're wrong! (yes I totally just made that up)

That's the one thing I noticed when I created a smartlist for just marvel titles with an alternate series, was that the further down you went, the more series were involved. That's part of my problem, I can't bare to miss anything, or read it out of order! I don't need to read it chronological order, I prefer published order since I'd rather read it as it was written. I just need to find an easy way to figure out what came out first in a specific month and I'm good to drown myself in old school Marvel! :laugh:

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33207

• Madmatx
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 63
On the bright side, there's only 3 ongoing Ultimate Comics titles these days and in the last crossover event Ultimates, X-Men, and Spider-Man were mostly handled as separate stories with very little cross-over.

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 6 months ago #33233

• Kirtai
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 4
The massive increase in crossovers etc is one of the main reasons I've pretty much entirely switched to indy comics. Of course, the other main reason is that I like them better :)

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 5 months ago #33671

• Trask
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 28
Hey Wojo,

Can't wait to see how you go with all those readings. I've been meaning to catch up on a lot of old marvel titles myself.

Welcome to the forums mate!
The following user(s) said Thank You: wojosama

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 5 months ago #33672

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Welcome to the forums Lord Wojo! B)

I feel that comics have lost 2 things in these past 10 years: innocence & honesty. Everything is a gimmick now. We can have best-sellers now, but not masterpieces.

Not just comics mate, it a sign of the times, everything has lost its innocence, just talking to my 18 year old son tells me that, although the 8 year old still has eyes full of wonder...
Steve
Last Edit: 4 years 5 months ago by startreksteve.

Re: Intro and apology! 4 years 5 months ago #33674

• startreksteve
  • Platinum Boarder
On a positive note, theres so much old stuff out there(My mammoth Amazing Spider-man project for example) that you could never need to read the new stuff for decades anyway and just read from the 70's onwards.. :-)
The following user(s) said Thank You: wojosama
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.206 seconds

Who's Online

We have 249 guests and 5 members online