Welcome, Guest
Introduce yourself

TOPIC: Greetings from a Mac user in London

Greetings from a Mac user in London 2 years 4 months ago #42508

• DavidTS
  • Fresh Boarder
Hi all
I'm a recent convert to Comicrack after the death of Comicbooklover. I'm using a Mac Mini running Windows XP via Parallels 10.

I love the functionality of Comicrack and am trying to port over my collection, retagging all my comics using the Comic Vine link.

Still feeling frustrated at the endless crashes whenever I try to scroll down (whether it is in the main window or the series lists at the top). I try to scroll down, get half way and Comicrack freezes. The Mac is running fine, Parallels runs fine and Windows runs fine: It's just Comicrack that freezes.

Is it because of the size of the collection, do you think? (15,000ish comics imported so far) as it's been fine until the last week or so.

Anyway. I haven't donated money yet because if I can't solve this crash problem, I'll have to forget about CR as it's become pretty unusable. Will happily pay when I can get it to work reliably and will pay double if there can be a Mac native version.

Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Greetings from a Mac user in London 2 years 4 months ago #42509

• jkthemac
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 253
Hi and welcome.

Almost certainly the problem is with the files, but there are some stubborn stability issues in the windows version so if the Mac version is similar I doubt it is all due to that.

It isn't due to the number of files, for sure, but those of us with large collections tend to favour the SQL option.

The best advice I can give is turn off any and all hardware acceleration, purge the caches, and at least while you get things into order opt for non-graphical views by avoiding thumbnails.

Then work your way through your collection exporting them into CBZ format, even if they are already in that format. (Yes that is a lot of books to convert but I have found it does help with stability to have everything in the preferred format.)

A few overnight batches would probably do the trick.

This will not fix the stability issues totally but it will make it vastly better.

I think there are some architectural issues with the way the program handles the thumbnail cache combined with the way it farms out archive handling because the main instabilities for me come after deleting or rearranging the content of files. But significantly, the crashes on my machine are 100% drawing routine issues while thumbnails are being rendered.

Greetings from a Mac user in London 2 years 4 months ago #42514

• DavidTS
  • Fresh Boarder
Thanks for the reply jkthemic. And the very helpful advice too. The first thing I tried was turning off thumbnails in my lists and everything seems stable now (and zippier too, of course!).

Much obliged!
Time to create page: 0.159 seconds

Who's Online

We have 231 guests and 4 members online