Welcome, Guest
Warning: sprintf(): Too few arguments in /home/.sites/172/site9960418/web/cr/libraries/joomla/language/text.php on line 312
Introduce yourself

TOPIC: 100% N00B

100% N00B 1 week 5 days ago #48166

• alb123
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello ComicRack community. My name is ALB123 and I am completely, totally & fully new to comics and obviously, ComicRack as well. I hope you all don't mind some stupid questions from me from time to time, but I'm a fast learner - comics just happen to be a new area of interest for me. I'm 42 years old and physically disabled so I have a lot of "free time". I have always been interested in superheroes on TV. I watched the original Batman as a child and I love all of the Batman movies (some much more than others), Superman...I remember Spiderman TV show, etc. but I never once checked out a comic with one or more of those superheroes.

To illustrate how ignorant I am with comics, I had no idea that there were different "series". I thought Batman was Batman, Superman was Superman and the X-Men were the X-Men...all with their own comic written by and illustrated by the same people over and over (with small changes due to people changing jobs, etc.). I had no idea that there were so many different series for characters like The Punisher or the Hulk. Actually, that's not completely true. I knew there were a lot more individual comic books for Spiderman and not just one a month for however many years the character existed. But I still thought they were all branches of the same character and you wouldn't spot a difference except it happens to be a different story.

See. Told ya I was a n00b. :laugh:
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: joymor1993

100% N00B 1 week 4 days ago #48174

• joymor1993
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Ambivert
Welcome on board I hope you'll love your stay.

100% N00B 1 week 3 days ago #48177

• Xelloss
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 91
Hey! First of all, welcome!

I totally get what you mean, I began reading comics at age 27 (I am 33 now) and it is really very overwhelming at first! To tell the truth I have always like fiction, and I have been a manga and anime fan since I have memory, but comics seemed such a huge world with so many years of story (I am talking about Marvel and DC universe) that I just didn't know where to start!

At first I remember doing was researching and learning about each universe, but I was afraid of really reading the comics itself, as there was so much I didn't understand... Then something happen in my life that kept me indoors for a long time, and so, by boredome, I began reading a comic (I think it was Red Hulk). Being the completionist I am, this leaded me to read others comics that were connected to this one, and the ones connected to the other ones... When I realised, I was reading half the comics Marvel was publishing... so why not every comic? And at the same time, new 52 lunched, and I thought "this is my opprtunity to read DC too from 0!". Nowadays I read everycomic published by the two big ones, and I love them!

Being a "new reader" there are still a lot of things I don't understand or know, but wikias and handbooks help me a lot to learn as much as I have time to do (I study and work, so not that much time anymore :P).

So believe me, everyone was a noob at first, everyone started reading with "stupid" doubts... and then it is not that you don't have anymore, the more you know about the comic world, the more questions you have, it is only that you realise THERE ARE NOT STUPID QUESTIONS :). So please, ask any question you have! Not only you will kill your doubts, but also make the one who answer you realise things he doesn't know either!

Something I always noticed about the comic world, is that people use to read authors, or comics volumes... me, on the other hand, perhaps because of my manga background, I read charaters, I read plots... It is not that I don't find difference between artists or writers, it is just that what is kept in my memmory are the life of each character and of the comic universe as a whole :P (at present I have read about 11k comics, and I can name literally houndreds, even thousands of characters, but only 3 or 4 writers or artist). All this to say this: There are so many ways of reading comics as people who read them, don't let others tell you how to read comics, or which ones are good, which ones are bad, how to enjoy them or how to understand them, pick your way of reading, and when you realise you will have read so much you can't believe it yourself :P
Last Edit: 1 week 3 days ago by Xelloss.

100% N00B 1 week 21 hours ago #48190

• mdmmsu
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
Welcome alb123,

I'm right there with you. I just started reading comics a few years ago (I'm currently 32 years old) after sitting in a Captain America movie and coming to the realization that this superhero movie, like all other superhero movies were among my favorite experiences. That coupled with the question of "how had I grown up and never experienced a comic book?" was the question that sent me immediately to my local shop. I remember the owner's face when I told him I knew literally nothing about comics but it was something I was interested in. He recommended 4 books to take home that day: Spider-man, Avengers, Uncanny X-Men and Batman. Within hours I was back at his shop and buying as many of the books from those series that he had on hand. Eventually the number of books I read weekly expanded and my exposure to different characters and story types, along with the writers and artists who create them became the most anticipated event of my week.

The other readers of this community have combined their love of comics and their own technical knowledge to do wonderful things with this software and its plugins. I can't remember the last time I had a question that hadn't already been asked, and usually solved, and often I learn of other features of this software that I was totally unaware of and end up finding quite useful. I wish you the best of luck as you dive into using comics.
Time to create page: 0.169 seconds

Who's Online

We have 232 guests and 4 members online