Welcome, Guest
Introduce yourself

TOPIC: So let me introduce myself! My name is....

So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 7 years 7 months ago #5775

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Hello all!

My name is Devin and here within the ComicRack community I go by oraclexview aka SoundWave. I've been into comics since I was about 11 years old. The first comic I can honestly recall owning was Amazing Spider-man #317 (which was drawn by probably the best artist in the industry at that time, McFarlane). I was actually given this book by a friend and at that time only looked at comics as "funny books". This historic back issue I now had in my possession which I had no clue about how big of an issue this was at that time intrigued me. I was captivated by the artwork since I was heavy into drawing art myself at that time. I eventually sold it to some kid that was going crazy over it like it was one of the most rare diamonds. I ended up selling it to him, for like $5 or something, thinking it was a steal on my part. I mean seriously, who would pay $5 for a book that has a cover price of like $0.75 that's years old. I figured things got cheaper as they got older, right? Ha ha, once I got into collecting comics big time a few years later I realized what a steal HE got it for (ahhh, the memories). This passion for the artwork grew once I got hooked by the story lines in such classic titles like Amazing Spider-man and The Uncanny X-Men. With time, my physical comic collection had grown to over 6,000 books.

My love for comics slowly diminished over the years due to adult responsibilities, but it was the advent of digital media that eventually lead me to the discovery of ComicRack which has reignited my passion for the comic-book format. THIS IS THE BEST DESKTOP APP eCOMIC RESOURCE ON THE PLANET! cYo deserves much praise and thanks for all their hard work. You can sense a true passion for both comics and programming that is simply AWESOME! I now have a eComic library just over 300GB and this app allows me to organize it quite efficiently. I don't use ComicRack to view my collection too often since I mostly use my PS3 connected to my HD television to read/view my collection. I've now ironically found myself using ComicRack for my second growing interest...programming.

I've been slowly developing an interest in programming over the last few years and ComicRack's scripting abilities has allowed me to learn about IronPython and the .NET Framework within an environment that is quite fun. My beginner skills are self taught through the free info I'm able to gather off the net and also by reverse engineering others' great works.

I'm happy to be apart of this fun community that has developed around and along with ComicRack ,and I look forward to contributing what I can (whether it be donations, scripts, or forum participation) to make it even better! :cheer:
Last Edit: 5 years 4 months ago by oraclexview.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 7 years 7 months ago #5855

• bkagan
  • Senior Boarder
I glossed over it the first time I read your post here and then it occurred to me someone else had mentioned a script for the Wii.

I never thought people would enjoy reading comics on a television. Granted a wide screen HD monitor must make some of the art work look amazing but I would think it would be difficult to read for long periods of time.

Do you lay on the couch as read from across the room or are you sitting up close?

Re: So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 7 years 7 months ago #5856

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
bkagan wrote:
Granted a wide screen HD monitor must make some of the art work look amazing but I would think it would be difficult to read for long periods of time.

Do you lay on the couch as read from across the room or are you sitting up close?

As long as your eComic was scanned in high resolution (1280 X 1280 for example), which most are, then viewing them on a HD television/monitor is just great! Reading an eComic on the screen is no more difficult than watching a movie or television episode.

With the PS3, each CBR/CBZ file is treated like a folder (just like Windows now treats ZIP files as folders in Explorer) and I set the console to auto-scroll through each image file within. This makes it almost like watching a movie, or kind of similar to playing/watching a motion comic.

I have my PS3 connected to my television in my room, so I either kick back in a chair and read/watch my eComics or I'll kick back and do the same from bed. Since it's a high resolution screen, I don't usually sit close; I'm usually about 5 to 10 feet away.

Lol, also, since the wireless PS3 controller uses bluetooth instead of the badly outdated RF, and the fact that my television has a viewable angle from my bathroom, I can read my books while on the toilet! So cool (this is of course a subjective opinion)! You can also zoom in/out and rotate the image on the PS3. The PS3 view features aren't as cool as ComicRack's view features, but I'm also not tied down to a smaller laptop screen or sitting at a desktop monitor.

NOTE: I also occasionally use my television as a monitor for my laptop. When I do this, I'm able to use ComicRack to view my books on the big screen. However, this isn't so great since I have to sit close due to the wired HD cable connection. I'd have to invest in an expensive wireless television adapter and use my bluetooth mouse for control to get around the sitting close issue.
Last Edit: 7 years 7 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 5 years 4 months ago #23254

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
OK, so random post here and I figured what other place would be better to post it than withn my own introduction page...no point in cluttering up some other person's nice neat thread. :lol: . So anyway, I just thought that it was funny that I only recently (recently being just last week) discovered the art of the the Rule Group in Smart Lists. I have been wanting this feature for quite a very very very long time, and didn't even realize it was already there for quite some time right under my nose. Pretty sad huh? Yeah, I know, feeling kinda idiotic just mentioning it. I honestly didn't even know what was meant by "New Group" in the Smart List dialog screen until I saw one of 600WPMPO's screenshot's of a smart list setup where smart list grouping was used extensively, which finally had the light bulb go off in my head...so that's how I use a combination of "and" and "or" triggers for building a complex smart list criteria. Oh the joy!!!! You all don't understand how excited I became. I could now tell ComicRack to automatically differentiate between "Pre-Crisis on Infinite Earths" and "Crisis on Infinite Earths" in the alternate series or tags. I could check for the name "Thor" without grabbing stuff like "thorn" and also check for "Thunderstrike" in the series.
Now, one of these days I'm gonna take some time to figure out Info Panels too. :unsure:

Re: So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 5 years 4 months ago #23256

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
oraclexview wrote:
I just thought that it was funny that I only recently (recently being just last week) discovered the art of the the Rule Group in Smart Lists. I have been wanting this feature for quite a very very very long time, and didn't even realize it was already there for quite some time right under my nose.
:laugh: The joy of living is discovering new things everyday!

p.s. thanks for this post btw, I had somehow missed your original intro post ;-)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 5 years 4 months ago #23257

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
600WPMPO wrote:
:laugh: The joy of living is discovering new things everyday!
So so true my friend! It's the main reason I decide to hold down a job and go to work all the time (outside of the necessity for earning the means to pay the bills and have some fun in life) with a smile on my face, 'cause as long as I'm still learning something new, it's all worth it in the end. Though, of course I'd rather spend every waking moment reading/organizing my comics to the level of madness and partying my butt off like it was 1999 (or maybe that's 2999 now...hummmm)! :)

Re: So let me introduce myself! My name is.... 5 years 2 months ago #24720

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
OK, so I tried to post this yesterday, yet I think the Apple fairies were insuring that I in no way posted any disgruntled opinions about the company. So, right when I was ready to click "Submit", my whole message was obliterated. Damn those Apple fairies! lol, thus with my frustration overrun-th, I gave up my rant and just went to bed thinking those thoughts would be forever lost and never to be shared with the public.
Yet here I am, a mere one day later, still agitated enough by the once upstart now behemoth Apple to give this a second try. ha ha Apple, take this!

Seriously though, I just wanted to say that right when I was slowly overcoming my disdain for a company that once had a GREAT visionary at the helm yet was largely over-hyped and overpriced, they recently have been making moves that greatly vex me. First there was the Siri app. How Apple bought the company that made the app, and then took it out of the App Store and integrated it in the new iPhone 4S and totally shunned the iPhone 4 users that were once able to use the app on their devices. Kind of a cruel move to entice consumers to upgrade that didn't really add much for the higher cost. Now there's this whole patent litigation. Come on Apple...with all the innovative patents that the iTouch, iPhone and iPad have which Apple DIDN'T create (some even owned by Samsung) you'd think they would have though suing Samsung partly based on a rectangular slim shell design was a major stretch. Apple utilizes some of Samsung's patent features and vise versa. So you both utilize many of the same or similar parts/features...just be the one who puts those parts and features together in a way that resonates better with the consumer and you'll do fine and continue to kick ass! Seeing Apple go this route seems a bit trifling and has me seriously considering boycotting the company until they learn how to litigate over truly damaging infringements upon their property.

On that note, the new Samsung smartphone and tablet products running either Android or Windows (Galaxy S III, Galaxy Note 2, Odyssey, Macro, P10, etc) already out or coming out within the next year definitely are indicators of Apple trying whatever it can to delay the possibility of Davey toppling the new Goliath.

OK, that's my rant of the week...off to bed I go with dreams of Apple losing its court battles here in the US. I think they already lost at least one battle against Samsung in the UK, so this is promising news. :)
Last Edit: 5 years 2 months ago by oraclexview.
Time to create page: 0.282 seconds

Who's Online

We have 186 guests and one member online