Welcome, Guest
Introduce yourself

TOPIC: Hello, Alan Scott Here!

Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5791

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 20
Well, this is a nice feature! I've been distracted from forum for the last week because of my performing my first clean install of Windows 7 since loading the Release Candidate, so while I've been lurking through all the changes and new scripts I've been unable to join in. Now that that's done I think I'll add myself to this, seems a great idea...

My name is John, I'm a very old man, 39 Years Old. I can't remember a time when I didn't read comics. My allowance would usually get spent on a big stack, and this was possible back then, when they only cost 25¢! I enjoy reading many different publishers and genres, but primarily I love Super Heroes and I am, more than anything, a DC fan. My three favorite characters are Superman, Batman, and Green Lantern, but I've always had a spot in my heart for DC's secondary characters, Swamp Thing, Deadman, Creature Commandos, Metal Men, Doom Patrol, and Phantom Stranger just to name a few.

I, like many my age, dropped comics in the Nineties. The collector craze bothered me a bit, and some of the lazy art too, but I will have to say that the way things went down for Hal Jordan was the primary catalyst. I don't think I would have minded if he was merely killed off. Barry Allen was my Flash, but I was fine with his death. It was turning him evil which really bothered me, and Ron Marz' arrogance about the whole thing didn't help. I don't really like to experience comics in a bitter or snarky fashion, so I felt I'd rather walk away than go through that.

I got back in a couple years ago because of a couple things. I heard about Identity Crisis, then Infinite Crisis, Civil War too. I also became aware of Digital Comics, which was very appealing to me because although I love to read comics, I'm not too keen on having them on paper anymore; when I was younger, I got tired of all the longboxes. I'm happy to say that I'm reading some of the best comics ever these days, and the art is just stunning. The access to information now is incredible too; it's just a great time to be a comic reader, from my perspective anyway.

ComicRack is my favorite thing about comics now; the ability to sort through data any way I wish, the great interface. I really enjoy all the ways you coders come up with new tricks to push this app even further.

I also have to say, I really enjoy being a part of this group. I found it so odd that rules needed to be posted for behavior, because this is one of the best behaved forums I've ever seen. Sure, you'll get the occasional newb that posts a grouchy comment or two, but we usually do something that seems impossible anywhere else on the 'Net; they just get ignored. Flame wars just don't happen here, and I love that. It makes it very enjoyable to be here.

Now, off I go to pester cYo for STILL not adding Group & Reprinted/Collected In tags B) .
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by Alan Scott.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5796

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
Hey John, glad to have you here, and 39 isn't old. Remember, 30s are the new 20s they say. lol
Also, I haven't forgotten about your particular issue. Still working on it.

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5823

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
Yeah, it depends on the situation really. I don't really have anything physically that makes me feel like I'm aging, but it seems like just yesterday my Godson was born, and now he's as big as me with bass in his voice. THAT makes me feel damn old. Or something like reading Stonepaw's hello, where he said he started reading comics with Ultimate Spider-Man, whereas I started in the Bronze Age! It does seem like people are aging better nowadays though, my wife is the same age as me but everyone still thinks she's in her twenties. I still call her my old lady, though :laugh: .

And thank ya much!
... The failure to appreciate... is perfectly understandable, because the readership never evaluates old material in the context of the cultural climate in which it was created, or the state of the art at the time it was created.
Marty Pasko

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5844

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Hey, Alan, can I borrow your introduction for myself?!?!?!

Well, almost, I am 37 :P ... and from Spain!

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5851

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Alan Scott wrote:
I can't remember a time when I didn't read comics. My allowance would usually get spent on a big stack, and this was possible back then, when they only cost 25¢!
Hello sir, its a pleasure to have you here ! Really man, you have been reading since the bronze age, and now proceeding rather quickly onto the heroic age, you've seen it all, John ! How does it feel the way things have changed ? Do you think that in 10 years from now, paper may become obsolete and comics/magazines/newspapers shall all become digital ? I mean, is that possible ?

Sorry about posting the rules though, had to do it because a formal rules section was desired with the forum overhaul, and some facts had to be stated in black & white to legally safeguard the forum.

I'd love to interact with you from time to time, and if you permit I'd use this thread of yours for this !

By the way, do you carry a green lantern to work (joking)!! :-)

Alan Scott wrote:
My name is John, I'm a very old man..
reminds me of Johnny Cash B)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5857

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
Alan Scott wrote:
I, like many my age, dropped comics in the Nineties. The collector craze bothered me a bit, and some of the lazy art too

It funny you mentioned this. I got into comics about 1 year right before the whole collector craze, 10 variants for every #1 issue, holograms for anniversary moment issue (which it seemed like almost every title or character was celebrating some kind of anniversary in the early 90s), bad @$$ heroes and female characters who were so hotly drawn that they began getting the "swimsuit" treatment, creator owned characters and companies that grew to an over saturated amount in the industry to the point where many lacked substance, the death of Superman, the breaking of Batman, the fall of Jordan (and I'm not talking 'bout Sir Air either), etc., etc., etc.!

However, with all that, it was a great time in comics! This was a breaking out moment for the industry. Superman made front page news in circulations and got the top spot during nightly news casts. Comic shops were making money, and bringing in new customers constantly. The back issue market soared. True, the industry went through it's own "bubble", but I think it still helped to expose the industry to the broader entertainment market and I feel had a great part in pushing comic character properties to the film and television industries and the toy and apparel markets of today.

So, you could probably say, it was the best of times, and the worst of times. I will say, I loved the roller coaster ride!
Last Edit: 7 years 8 months ago by oraclexview.

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5863

My feelings about the early 90s (the so-called "Dark Age") are conflicted. I came of reading age in the 90s (I was 11 when Superman died), and on the one hand, I look back at the issues of that time with nostalgia. To me, Byrne's Superman origin and his depiction of Krypton will always be the "real" Krypton, and Matrix/Linda Danvers is the one I think of when I think of Supergirl. Of course, I've since read thousands of comics from the 30-40 years before that, so I've gained the benefit of perspective and an appreciation for the more classic comics.

But when it comes down to it, I still hold a lot of the Dark Age dear to my heart, as cheesy, exploitative and pandering as a lot of it is. :p

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5877

• Alan Scott
  • Gold Boarder
@ perezmu - I see that you did in fact start your own thread, but here, there, you can do whatever you want, my friend. Funny, I had thought of you as younger, but I can't say why I did.

@ 600WPMPO - Hey man, not all of it! I missed out on the Golden & Silver Ages! See, I AM old as dirt :P . I guess my perspective is a little different than most my age. I hear a lot from those my age that they read Marvel when they were kids, that this was the cool comics company and such. For me, DC was the tops. I did read Marvel too, a lot of it, but I loved DC the most. Marvel is the story of normal humanity becoming suddenly exposed to beings with super powers. There are beings in the Marvel Universe who were super powered before the last couple of centuries but for the most part Mutants and Mutates and Metas are a new occurrence, and many of these beings cope with trying to be as normal as possible, or at least figure out what that is for them. Many of them stumble through this, and aren't always successful. This can be compelling and can give you someone like Spider-Man that you might identify with, but if you are looking for wish-fulfillment Marvel isn't always the best place to find it, because in the Marvel Universe powers and abilities come at a cost. In fact, they almost always do.

Now, for me, and I realize not everyone has this experience and viewpoint, I grew up kinda poor, not in a great part of town, and with not the greatest family in the world. So, I didn't necessarily want heroes who were suffering through it all, I wanted some escapism. That's why I loved DC so much. I've also loved the stories of the Greek Gods and their accompanying fables. In our world, they "disappeared". What if they didn't? Well, that's the world of the DC Universe. It's the world where the Heroes and Gods never left. Magic never faded. Humanity has always had to share the Earth with them and has had to figure out how to live with that presence. In the DC Universe, heroism and super powers aren't always a burden, and I loved that, I could live through that. I love Superman, because he grew up, due to his circumstances, as a quiet kid who was looked upon as a nerd and not really thought of as a physical presence, but he knew inside what he could do. He also understood what it felt like to deal with bullies, and this made him able to recognize fascism, and his own potential for it. You gotta love Batman too, because he's the human being trying to assert himself in this World of Gods. It makes sense that so many writers see him as always having a contingency plan, and in his world he needs to, because he's in the minority, most of the others have powers of some kind and he has to get by on his wits. Wonder Woman is awesome to me too, for many reasons. She's got that whole Greek mythology around her, and she is the one woman character until the Bronze Age that never was a damsel in distress that needed saving. She can take down Superman, and that says it all.

So the time I came into comics was perfect for me, because the Bronze Age for DC was when they were starting to add deeper elements to their characters while still having some of the escapist adventures of the Silver. Plus, so many great new heroes were coming along that have stuck around, like Jonah Hex, Firestorm, The New Gods.

Now, how have things changed? The great thing is with the work of those like Geoff Johns, so much of that has come back, just with much deeper stories. A lot of that wonder has returned. They have a great way of taking the Heroes to the edge then pulling them back. I love the writing now, I really love the art.

As far as paper to digital, I don't know. They way the companies operate now makes me think that it will only happen if they are dragged into it the way the music companies were, that is to say against their will. I would like it to happen, and I'd be more than happy to pay them for it, but even if they do make more digital product I'm concerned that it will be some bastardized version of the real thing, or depend on some proprietary format that will force you to use their software rather than what you want. The dreadful Marvel setup comes to mind, but at least they have one, unlike DC and many other publishers.

You've no reason at all to apologize for the rules, better to put them there now than later when more new users come along and may not behave as they should. I merely thought, with the current makeup of this board, that it was like telling a group of librarians to quiet down :laugh: . And I do enjoy the thought of interacting with all of you guys. I tend to shun other geeks because snarkiness is rampant in fandom these days, and I do not share that viewpoint. As a result, I don't really get to talk to others about comics (as you can tell by my long-windedness above!). Nice to have someplace to do so.

@ oraclexview & DouglasBubbletrousers - Don't get me wrong, I thought there was some fine work in the Nineties. The problem was that it was either obscured by goofy marketing schemes, or brushed off. By those my age, anyways. I actually thought the Death of Superman was very well done, as was Knightfall. I think a lot of folks didn't read them in totality and get the whole picture of those two storylines. Really, as I said, the fall from heroism for Hal Jordan was a very big factor for me, it was just too much to see this character I'd grown up with done like that. This was not something that could be repaired with the next story arc, and in fact it took DC over a decade to rectify it. And I absolutely understand that any comic can be somebody's Action Comics #1. You should always know that it is a matter of perspective when the subject is artistic to any degree.
Marty Pasko

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5881

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
I love the info and ideas Sir Scott! And for the record, I totally understood where you were coming from on your opinions of the 90s. I totally agree with you on them all. I just also remember all the growth and creativity that came from that period amongst all the crap. lol. For example, I think the creation of Valiant at that time was the best start of a comic universe ever! The stories were so rich within those first few years, and all the titles tied together so well. Jim Shooter (a great blueprint on how to be a superb editor) I think is one of the best the comic industry has had. Image was great for the flexibility and freedom it gave powerhouse creators in its beginnings. Chaos! in it's first few years was just some of the most awesome horror comics I've read as far as all out mayhem goes. Evil Ernie vs. The Super-Heroes said it all. CrossGen was also great for a very short period there in my opinion.

I also totally agree with you on the points you had about what made DC characters so special in their own way apart from what made Marvel characters lovable. The best of DC characters do have a more majestic feel to them. The trinity sums up the best of what DC offers to the industry. An alien with god-like powers who's moral code of right and wrong on earth is arguably better than any earthling's. An earthly god of the fairer gender who's power rivals that of the pinnacle hero. And a "regular" man amongst gods who's more attainable abilities are so great in their way that you easily forget just how much harder he has to work compared to others. You realize just how much this makes him a natural leader of "gods". They are the trinity of the comic world! Nuff said!

Re:Hello, Alan Scott Here! 7 years 8 months ago #5895

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Alan Scott wrote:
@ perezmu - I see that you did in fact start your own thread, but here, there, you can do whatever you want, my friend. Funny, I had thought of you as younger, but I can't say why I did.

Hint, hint? :P

Now, I loved your explanation on the differences between the Marvel and DC universes as related to the reader expectations! It is really insightful. I must say I am myself more of a Marvel guy, the reason being that in the late 70's and early 80's in Spain it was the only thing we got published over there, with the exception of some Superman and Batman stuff... so we really had a hard time figuring DC as a 'Universe', much less a 'Mithology', while almost everything Marvel was published. Things changed with the renovation of DC titles and a new distributor taking over DC in Spain, which gave us Crisis on Infinity Earths, Dark Knight, Watchmen, Year One, Camelot 3000, Arion, Atari Force, Teen Titans (Wolfman and Perez's) and the like... oh! What a time! But at the same time we had Claremont's X-Men, Byrne's Fantastic Four and Alpha Flight, Miller's Daredevil, and lots of good stuff from the House of Ideas, so I kept mostly a Marvel guy until the "Dark Age"... (I could never put up with the original staff at Image, they simply could not draw -except for maybe Lee and Sale-, much less have a decent storytelling! :P *flame war on!!!!* ... just kidding!).

Now, I am more author oriented than character oriented... I purcahse what I expect will deliver decent writing, story-telling and art, irrespective of the characters... This makes a fun reading, but hard to get into the flow of things again.

Cheers! :woohoo:
Time to create page: 0.238 seconds

Who's Online

We have 275 guests and 5 members online