Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition)

The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10889

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
The ComicRack Manual 4th edition is now officially released!

Format: pdf

No of pages: 178

Size:

High Quality version: 64.15

Low Quality version: 33.34 MB

Ultra Low Quality Version: 15.87 MB

A much delayed 4th edition of the ComicRack™ manual is here. The ever improving new builds of ComicRack™, as well as my busy schedule were mainly responsible for the delay. As many as 8 new builds of ComicRack™ have been released from July 2010 till date. Some of these releases, especially 0.9.130 & 0.9.131, were huge in terms of new features and GUI changes.

Enjoyable as this was, it sometimes took me upto a single day (whatever hours I could steal from it) to make a particular page. I would design, re-design, and re-re-design till I got satisfied with the result. Even now when I see the final product, I still feel that it could have been done better.

Among the major changes, we got fileless entries, a new ratings system, a quick open box (aka speed dial), and a redesigned preferences dialog. Workspaces and list layouts finally got their edit dialogs. DjVu support was also added. Apart from these notable changes, we witnessed a lot of minor tweaks & advancements both in the structure & the function of ComicRack™. All this needed exhaustive documenting. Heavy work could be noted on the reader, configuring, managing and the scripts chapters.

Apart from these essential changes (which I had to add in the manual, come what may), there were some other minor improvements I thought of. The front cover of the manual has been redesigned. All chapter front and inner pages have also been redesigned. Screenshots of almost all ComicRack™ dialogs have been given a light drop shadow for a more elegant look. Many sections, notably those on the state indicators, workspaces, list layouts, and page layout are now expanded and improved. A lot of screenshots have been replaced by new, apparently better-looking ones.

During the past 4 months, we also saw an unprecedented increase in the number of new scripts. While these scripts were largely excellent, this meant extra documentation for me! I also took it upon myself to make logos for all the scripts. I intend to post these on the forum, so that we can have a more uniform and eye-candy display of all these excellent add-ons available for ComicRack™.

So, finally the manual is again available, updated and all, on your screen (hopefully some day, it will be in your hands). It is expected to soon need revisions and new editions, depending on how fast (or ferociously, if you allow me) cYo improves pre-existing features & introduces new ones. This requires commitment from my side, which, if all goes well, is not likely to waver. However, I may take the liberty of taking increasingly prolonged intervals to release new editions. Please bear with it. Just like with the previous editions, please support the manual project by giving it a good read, and pointing out any errors that you discover.

Now time to burn this never ending preface and enjoy the manual !
How can you help the ComicRack Manual Project:

Please download the manual and give it a read. Please point out any errors and I'll try my best to rectify them in the next update. If you dislike anything in the manual (or the whole of it), please feel free to give constructive criticism. In case you like it, do give me some good karma :)
I would also request all the active users to redirect new users' queries in the help section to the manual.
(if, obviously, the manual already has what they want to know ;-))

ComicRack Manual (4th ed) HQ:

64.15 MB
http://www.multiupload.com/H2ASBNMX3V
ComicRack Manual (4th ed) LQ

33.34 MB
http://www.multiupload.com/130R9OA8O0
ComicRack Manual (4th ed) ULQ

15.87 MB
http://www.multiupload.com/DDBCHGZEUU
ComicRack Manual (4th ed) Online Version

https://sites.google.com/site/comicrackmanual/
ComicRack Manual (4th ed) Flash Version

http://issuu.com/600wpmpo/docs/comicrack_manual__4th_ed_lq_

Your comments here... :)
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO. Reason: Added links for online version of the manual
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonepaw, Astrophizz, kenjio, James Spaceman, Xpistos Ekimogloy

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10890

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
Next step... complete GUI revamp by cYo! :whistle:

Still a great job 600 :woohoo:

edit: Twice the size of the "old" 3rd edition? You added that much? :blink:
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by {Oo}.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10891

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
My mind boggles at the amount of time you must put into these revisions! :woohoo:

It looks great, as always. I don't have time to give it a complete read through, but I did go through the Comic Vine Scraper section as well as a lot of the new stuff about fileless comics, and I don't see any problems yet.
Last Edit: 7 years 1 week ago by cbanack.

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10892

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 268
Amazing work as always 600WPMPO.

I brushed through a couple of sections including the much expanded and well done scripts section. No errors jumped out. I'll do a through read soon and send you my report.

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10893

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
So many, many thanks for this 600!!!!

I am out of town, but I hope to be able to resume my humble contributions to the scripts world in a couple of weeks... to give you even more work!!!! That's what you get for being so great at what you do!!!! :)

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10898

• kenjio
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 127
Great work as always, 600!!

Your efforts on this are greatly appreciated by us all :)
I'm baaaaaaaaaaaaaaack!!

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10899

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Thanks for the new version. I'll be reading it soon and will pop by if i spot anything out of place.

fK
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO, Xpistos Ekimogloy

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10904

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Ok, I found something (not sure why I missed this on my first read-through.)

In the "TIPS" box on page 118, it describes a process for fixing things if you've accidentally scraped the wrong comic book info. That description works, but there is an easier way. Just uncheck the checkbox called "Use previous choice when 'rescraping' comics", and then scrape your comic book again. If you scraped the wrong series the first time, it will bring up the series dialog for that wrong series, but then you can just choose "Search Again" to select and scrape the right series/issue.

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10907

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 676
And as usual I bring my point: Close the dialog and just hit undo :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Xpistos Ekimogloy

Re: The ComicRack Manual (4th edition) 7 years 1 week ago #10908

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
cYo wrote:
And as usual I bring my point: Close the dialog and just hit undo :)

Yup, that works too, as long as you notice the mistake right after you finish scraping. :)
Time to create page: 0.243 seconds

Who's Online

We have 260 guests and 8 members online