Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.38

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.36 6 years 11 months ago #11647

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 508
forkicks wrote:
I ran into the same problem as lg5 - had an issue or two that could no longer be scraped although they had been before, and the script asked immediatly instead of delaying till the end.

Other than that, the script runs smoothly.

Ah yes, I made that improvement (in 1.0.34) for comics that have *never* been scraped before (they now get sorted to the end of the list) but I didn't do anything special for comics where the scrape fails because of a change at ComicVine (not really something that I expected would happen too often.)

When I have a chance, I will look into improving that situation, too.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11677

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
forkicks wrote:
I ran into the same problem as lg5 - had an issue or two that could no longer be scraped although they had been before, and the script asked immediatly instead of delaying till the end.
I've made a new build, version 1.0.37, which should address this issue. Now, anytime you scrape your comics, ALL of the comics that can be re-scraped automatically will be scraped before you are asked about the rest of them. This should make re-scraping your entire collection a lot nicer.

Thanks for the great suggestion, guys!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by cbanack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11678

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
Thanks, will be trying it immediatly, and thanks for picking it up so fast!

fK

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11680

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Downloaded CVS 1.0.37 & it is working fine :-)

Btw, recently we encountered this post somewhere in the forum:
Backdraft wrote:
..Click "Start" and wait for the program to automatically, in the background, pull metadata/thumbnails..

Not that I need it, but still.. What about an option in CVS about updating silently ?

That is, CVS chooses the first match (mostly it is correct) it finds, and without asking for user input in the 'choose a comic book series' dialog, it goes forward and scrapes the metadata.

Just a thought... :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11681

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Not that I need it, but still.. What about an option in CVS about updating silently ?
Yeah, I've thought about something like that, too. There are technical problems with the idea (see below), but even if we ignore those, I'd still be worried that the actual performance of a totally "hands-free" version of CVS would less than stellar. In almost any comic collection, there would always be a few issues that were quietly scraped as the wrong choice. We'd have to go through all our comics manually to check and see which ones need to be fixed.

"Hands-free" operation is only a viable option for a piece of software when that software can either a) get things right very nearly 100% of the time or b) it's simple to find and fix the parts that it didn't get right or c) its no big deal when it gets things wrong.

For scraping previously unscraped comics, I don't think I could do 'a' or 'b', and for most people, I assume 'c' will not be true. For RE-scraping comics that already have a CVDB tag, however, I'm sure I could do 'a', so a background thread might be a viable idea.

Unfortunately, the current plugin architecture for ComicVine doesn't offer any safe way for me to start up and run a permanent background process that updates comic books, so it's kind of an academic discussion for now!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11682

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Yes, I agree 100%.. and what you said above is a very reasonable and logical explanation.. B)

was just a thought..

momentary..
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11686

• pescuma
  • Expert Boarder
  • Thank you received: 16
@cbanack

I read your explanation and started having some wild thoughts.

1. You cold show an icon in the tray with the state of the scrapper. The class to do this is msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/system....orms.notifyicon.aspx

2. To process a few more comics automatically you could download the cover art and check if its very similar to the cover of the comic. If there are, for example, at most 10% different then you assume it is the right comic and handle it without asking the user. If not than you ask the user. If there are multiple covers in CV then you'd need to test them all. If you want I can write some code to do this image comparation.
Last Edit: 6 years 11 months ago by pescuma.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11687

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 109
pescuma wrote:
you could download the cover art and check if its very similar to the cover of the comic. If there are, for example, at most 10% different then you assume it is the right comic

Covers can have different brightness, sharpness, blur, slight color variations or any other endless small differences.

What would you consider 10%?

Besides, image to image comparison is both very expensive computationally and EXTREMELY hard to do right.

But i'm pretty sure cbanack will provide more insight into it.

fK

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11688

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Sometime ago I proposed something similar using the barcodes (if any)...
forkicks wrote:
pescuma wrote:
you could download the cover art and check if its very similar to the cover of the comic. If there are, for example, at most 10% different then you assume it is the right comic

Covers can have different brightness, sharpness, blur, slight color variations or any other endless small differences.

What would you consider 10%?

Besides, image to image comparison is both very expensive computationally and EXTREMELY hard to do right.

But i'm pretty sure cbanack will provide more insight into it.

fK

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.33 - 1.0.37 6 years 11 months ago #11689

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
A lot of scanners put their credit logo OVER the barcode, so that wouldn't work.
Time to create page: 1.372 seconds

Who's Online

We have 779 guests and 3 members online