Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39-43

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 6 months ago #13692

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1318
  • Thank you received: 503
  • Karma: 181
Hi guys, Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.40 is now ready.

I suspect this version is actually pretty bug-free, but I'll wait and let some of you guys try it out for a while before I officially mark it as "stable".
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by cbanack.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 6 months ago #13702

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232
cbanack wrote:
Hi guys, Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.40 is now ready.

I suspect this version is actually pretty bug-free, but I'll wait and let some of you guys try it out for a while before I officially mark it as "stable".
A very good update. Working fine with incorrect (c2c, noads) parsed names. And the Help menu integration.. I never thought it was possible.. only if we could do so for other important scripts!

However, the tab dedicated entirely to 'Rescraping' could, in future, be improved with more options and some other 'broad' name. :unsure:

+1 karma on its way..

p.s A re-request: An option for automatic mode in the preferences: Using this mode, CVS will automatically scrape the first choice it guesses.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 6 months ago #13706

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1318
  • Thank you received: 503
  • Karma: 181
600WPMPO wrote:
p.s A re-request: An option for automatic mode in the preferences: Using this mode, CVS will automatically scrape the first choice it guesses.
This is definitely a feature idea I'm aware of, and have given some thought to.

The problem, of course, is that the scraper doesn't guess right all of the time--so with an automatic mode, you'd still have to go through all of your comics one at at time to find and fix the ones where it guessed wrong. So if you have to go through your comics one at at time anyway, why not do it while scraping?

It's also quite hard for a lot of users to figure out how to "fix" a comic once it's been scraped the wrong way. (Judging by the number of times that question comes up.) Once I come up with a better solution for that problem, I will revisit this idea of a fully automatic mode.
Last Edit: 6 years 6 months ago by cbanack.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13897

  • mizio66
  • mizio66's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Started reading comics at 4... and still counting!
  • Posts: 451
  • Thank you received: 143
  • Karma: 67
Found an error on a fileless comic...

Am I so bad?

M


File Attachment:

File Name: CVLOG.txt
File Size:0 KB
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13902

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1318
  • Thank you received: 503
  • Karma: 181
Hi mizio66, that's for the bug report! :)

What was the name, issue #, etc for that fileless comic? I'd like to try to make this error happen on my computer.

If you can't remember the name, etc, can you give me the entire error log? There should be some more information in there. I'll try to get a fix for this into 1.0.41.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13904

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232
A re-request: Option in the settings to automatically add CVDBSKIP tag to unscrapabale archives.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13905

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1318
  • Thank you received: 503
  • Karma: 181
600WPMPO wrote:
A re-request: Option in the settings to automatically add CVDBSKIP tag to unscrapabale archives.

This feature request was already entered in the Comic Vine Scraper feature request/issues list when you mentioned it a few months ago. Since it's in my list, I haven't forgotten about it, though of course I make no guarantee that I'll implement every feature request that I get. :P

As I mentioned before, an option like this would make it very easy for the casual user of CVS to unwittingly render their comics permanently "skipped"--and then have no idea why the scraper now sometimes seems like it doesn't do anything. That makes me hesitate, because I don't want to make CVS harder to use or more unfriendly for a large number of casual users just so that I can make it slightly more convenient for a very small number of expert users.

Wouldn't it be easier to just have a smartlist of unscraped comics (ones that don't contain a CVDB* tag)? You could go through the list anytime and select all of the comics that you want to permanently skip, then add the CVDBSKIP tag to them all at once. Adding that tag would take them out of the smartlist, too.

Or is having to manually add CVDBSKIP tags something that regularly annoys lots of people?
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by cbanack.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13907

  • 600WPMPO
  • 600WPMPO's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Moderator
  • Posts: 3788
  • Thank you received: 557
  • Karma: 232
cbanack wrote:
As I mentioned before, an option like this would make it very easy for the casual user of CVS to unwittingly render their comics permanently "skipped"--and then have no idea why the scraper now sometimes seems like it doesn't do anything.
Well, obviously this (and my previous request: automatic scraping) is not for the weak of heart. When a user chooses these options, he knows very well what he is going into. I suggest an 'Advanced' tab in the settings that would hold these features that a casual user should stay away from. B)
cbanack wrote:
Wouldn't it be easier to just have a smartlist of unscraped comics (ones that don't contain a CVDB* tag)? You could go through the list anytime and select all of the comics that you want to permanently skip, then add the CVDBSKIP tag to them all at once. Adding that tag would take them out of the smartlist, too.
I do not put CVDB tags in my Info files, coz for me they serve no identifiable purpose other than saving time while rescraping. I find very little time to barely scrape my ever expanding collection,; what to say about rescraping! Moreover, I keep the tags field reserved for the scanner name (as cYo would not give us a dedicated scanner field), so the CVDB tags pollute the scanner name in my tags fields.
cbanack wrote:
Or is having to manually add CVDBSKIP tags something that regularly annoys lots of people?
Its a chore.. :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 5 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13908

  • mizio66
  • mizio66's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Started reading comics at 4... and still counting!
  • Posts: 451
  • Thank you received: 143
  • Karma: 67
Actually THAT was the log :-)

I just created a 28 Days #1 fileless entry... nothing else...

Thanks,

M
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #13910

  • cbanack
  • cbanack's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Posts: 1318
  • Thank you received: 503
  • Karma: 181
mizio66 wrote:
Actually THAT was the log :-)

I just created a 28 Days #1 fileless entry... nothing else...

Thanks,

M

Ok, thanks. I'll look into it.
The topic has been locked.
Time to create page: 0.221 seconds

Who's Online

We have 215 guests and 3 members online