Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39-43

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14146

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
I think this was discussed once, but not considered..

I have many cbz files that do not have any meaningful file name. See here:

How do I make the scraper somehow search for the proper series name?

The solution was once suggested sometime earlier. Scrape the cover by matching the photograph. I do not know if that is at all possible.

Is it implementable in CVS, cbanack? :unsure:
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14147

• Der Internet
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 5
if i have such files, i just mark them all, give 'em in Comicrack the right series title and then scrape it....

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14148

• 600WPMPO
Der Internet wrote:
if i have such files, i just mark them all, give 'em in Comicrack the right series title and then scrape it....
I have gigs of such files (mistakes of my youth).. it would take me days to give the the correct name. I have ignored them till now, but as I am planning to clean up, backup and format, I was wondering if there was some quicker way of naming/scraping them.. :unsure:

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14149

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Ahh, you mean like an image-based search of ComicVine, to find comics that have similar covers? Something like that is theoretically possible (it's a pretty neat bit of technical wizardry - check out "tineye.com") but the ComicVine API doesn't allow any kind of searching like that. It's text only.

You're probably remembering when I was talking about using my own image recognition code to make the scraper automatically "choose" a comicvine image (in the Issue dialog) that most closely matches your comic book's cover. But doing so required downloading all possible images, which was too slow to be practical--it made the scraper look unresponsive. So instead the scraper shows you the default image, while it searches in the background for other options that you can look at.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14150

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Der Internet wrote:
I have gigs of such files (mistakes of my youth).. it would take me days to give the the correct name. I have ignored them till now, but as I am planning to clean up, backup and format, I was wondering if there was some quicker way of naming/scraping them.. :unsure:

This is probably your fastest option. Use ComicRack's bulk renaming to get them to have the right series name and issue number. That's what the scraper needs--and scraping will be much faster if both pieces of info (name and number) are present--otherwise CVS will keep asking you to choose the right issue.

There might be some kind of free tool that you can use for bulk renaming of the files...then you could add the series names onto the front of all the filenames that you already have--it looks like the file names already contain the issue number, right? Then ComicRack's "proposed values" would automatically contain the right values for scraping.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14151

• 600WPMPO
cbanack wrote:
....it looks like the file names already contain the issue number, right? Then ComicRack's "proposed values" would automatically contain the right values for scraping.
Unfortunately, no. Take an example: What should be "Legends of the Dark Knight #21" is named "01.cbz"
cbanack wrote:
Use ComicRack's bulk renaming to get them to have the right series name and issue number. That's what the scraper needs--and scraping will be much faster if both pieces of info (name and number) are present--otherwise CVS will keep asking you to choose the right issue.
I guess this manual way has to be finally done. Thanks anyway for the quick response! ;)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14153

• flips
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 9
600WPMPO wrote:
Unfortunately, no. Take an example: What should be "Legends of the Dark Knight #21" is named "01.cbz"

ugh.. yeah you probably are screwed.. if the directory they are in is right you could use malor89's add folder name script to at least get the series name in the file.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14155

• mizio66
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Started reading comics at 4... and still counting!
  • Thank you received: 143
Actually i checked tineye... quite a fantastic tool!

And made a test... got the cover of a comic, submitted to tineye and found it in some site about comics!!!

So, this is definetely possible... but takes a bit of expertise to realize... i notice tineye has API.

What should be done is a script that takes the P1 of a cbz, send it to tineye and then get the info from some specific site, like a 'normal' scraper...

Am I on sci-fi ???

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14156

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
mizio66 wrote:
Actually i checked tineye... quite a fantastic tool!

And made a test... got the cover of a comic, submitted to tineye and found it in some site about comics!!!

So, this is definetely possible... but takes a bit of expertise to realize... i notice tineye has API.

What should be done is a script that takes the P1 of a cbz, send it to tineye and then get the info from some specific site, like a 'normal' scraper...

Am I on sci-fi ???

Well, Tineye has a nice API, but unfortunately it's not free. I think its because that kind of search is very resource intensive--it requires a lot of computer power.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.39, 40 6 years 5 months ago #14223

• Soluzar
  • Junior Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
Der Internet wrote:
I think the quicker way would be to get some new files. :laugh:

Seriously though, I can understand your problem. I'm just not sure there's any way around it. CVS is an amazing tool, but without a series name to go by... what can it do, automatically? If your ecomics are in folders by series, then you might be able to sort this out. If not then you're a bit stuck.
Time to create page: 0.225 seconds

Who's Online

We have 172 guests and 6 members online