Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: QuickManual 0.9.142

QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 3 months ago #15249

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Here is the QuickManual for ComicRack newbies! The QuickManual introduces the new user to the ComicRack software, and makes them feel comfortable using and exploring it.
Why this manual?
This manual is proposed to be included in the ComicRack install, and open up by default on the first run of the ComicRack program (maybe with a post-install checkbox: 'Open Manual'). This is supposed to replace (or supplement) the Readme.txt. There were 2 main considerations while making this QuickManual:
  • It should be a quick read (less than 20 pages)
  • The size should not exceed 1 MB, so that including it in the install package is not an issue
What happens to the regular ComicRack Manual?
Don't worry. The ComicRack Manual is the official companion, and shall continue as always. Currently, the 5th edition of the manual is under construction!
What is the future for the QuickManual?
Since it deals with only the basic concepts of ComicRack, if needed, I can update it with every new build of ComicRack. However, if cYo decides NOT to include it with the software install, the purpose of this manual will be lost, and we can remember it as history.
How can we help?
Please download and take a look (its a fast read!). If I have missed any 'essential' feature (that a first timer must know), please tell me and I'll try to add it. If there are any errors, please post them here. Do tell if should do away with pages 2&3 dealing with downloading and installing ComicRack (as the user has already downloaded and installed the program), or are they necessary?

Format: DJVU

No of pages: 19

Size: 0.97 MB 1.04 MB 1.08 MB 1.09 MB

http://www.multiupload.com/W0GKS0VBKB

Your comments here... :)

For Translators:
QuickManual Source Files
http://www.multiupload.com/8D9WL3E9EJ

EDIT:

version 0.9.142.2 Changelog:
  • Changed front page setup
  • Deleted pages detailing installing and downloading
  • Added pages for reading modes and exporting comics
  • Added eye-candy icons (credit to the free iconset 'Kids Icons by Everaldo_Yellowicon')
  • Many screenshots changed
  • Changed last page

EDIT:

version 0.9.142.3 Changelog:
  • Changed front page setup
  • Added docking the browser
  • Changed heading fonts
  • Changed back page advert to the 5th edition
  • Corrected typograpghic errors (thanks to Stonepaw)
  • Corrected serious errors on page 5

EDIT:

ComicRack Introduction - A Quick Guide (2011-07-19) Changelog:
  • Changed name to 'ComicRack Introduction - A Quick Guide'
  • No more version numbers on page footer
  • Added reference to Help Menu link on the front page
  • Updated screenshots to match ComicRack 0.9.143
  • Changed matter and screenshots on page 3
  • Cleaned up screenshot on page 7
  • Added reference to Sidebar Toolbar on page 10
  • Moved donationware text from first page to the last page.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 6 years 2 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stonepaw, damocles

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 3 months ago #15252

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
Awesome, as always, 600!

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 3 months ago #15256

• jumpr
  • Junior Boarder
  • Hi
  • Thank you received: 4
I like this and I like the idea of installing it on start-up because Comicrack CAN be a lot to take in. And for some, that overwhelming feeling sets in and instead of looking up help they just write the whole thing off and never give such a great app a chance.

One criticism though. Perhaps remove the two pages "Installing CR" & "Starting CR". After all, if this is supposed to be included with the install then they obviously already.... installed & started it right?
Maybe you could replace one with a brief mention of the touch controls.

Oh and one more thing. At the end you have a advert for the full version and then a coming soon ad. If this where to be included with future installs the "coming soon" wouldn't fit.

Great job as usual though!

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 3 months ago #15259

• 600WPMPO
jumpr wrote:
I like this and I like the idea of installing it on start-up because Comicrack CAN be a lot to take in. And for some, that overwhelming feeling sets in and instead of looking up help they just write the whole thing off and never give such a great app a chance.
Yes.. this perfectly sums up the purpose behind the QuickManual! :)
jumpr wrote:
At the end you have a advert for the full version and then a coming soon ad. If this where to be included with future installs the "coming soon" wouldn't fit.
That was purposely put there as a teaser! :P
Once the QuickManual gets cYo's approval, I will make the final version that would not have the 'coming soon' ad.
jumpr wrote:
One criticism though. Perhaps remove the two pages "Installing CR" & "Starting CR". After all, if this is supposed to be included with the install then they obviously already.... installed & started it right?
Yes, I have been thinking about this (maybe you missed my queries in the first post). But, when I see the Help files of a lot of software, they begin right from the start, from what the program is about to the system requirements, to installation. This defies logic. In the QuickManual, pages are precious, as I am supposed to make a very small file-sized document. I am seriously thinking about removing those two pages, and adding some feature description of important features, like Exporting comics, layouts etc.

However, all this proceeds only if cYo thinks it worth being included in the default install setup. He hasn't bothered replying to this yet, so the signs are not appearing good.. :(

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 3 months ago #15260

• Shinrai
  • Platinum Boarder
  • With great power comes great W/T.
  • Thank you received: 81
Or he's just busy.

(I like it.)

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 2 months ago #15287

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
I think this is a fantastic idea and I will for sure add this to the installer.
I think the download section is not needed as people have already downloaded the stuff.

As always 600, thanks for your great work and support for ComicRack :)

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 2 months ago #15289

• 600WPMPO
cYo wrote:
I think this is a fantastic idea and I will for sure add this to the installer.
:) :) :) :) :) Wow!
cYo wrote:
I think the download section is not needed as people have already downloaded the stuff.
Ok.. I'll revise the Quick Manual quickly (:laugh:), and update it. Basically, this means that pages #2&3 will have to go. I'll add other relevant features in 2 more pages somewhere in the manual. Also, the last teaser ad will have to go.

I have a query:

When the default ComicRack window opens after install (now with the quick manual), it will open with the quickmanual occupying the entire window. Some users may get confused as to what to do next. So, I made a quick mock-up for what I propose. Some instructions for the users on the first page itself:

Should I go ahead with this idea?

EDIT:

Actually, I am confused as to how the manual will open on the first run. Will it come up with the Browser docked below, or will the entire reader window would be the only thing visible? I hope what I am asking is making sense. Can anyone enlighten me?

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 2 months ago #15297

• 600WPMPO
600WPMPO wrote:
When the default ComicRack window opens after install (now with the quick manual), it will open with the quickmanual occupying the entire window. Some users may get confused as to what to do next.
Ok.. I have slightly altered the first page. Now, when the QuickManual opens up the first time, occupying the entire ComicRack Window, here is what the user will see:

I guess proceeding from here will be quite easy for any user. Not only does it immediately involve the user with the ComicRack software, he is actually unconsciously learning navigating the Reader, and getting accustomed to the usage of the software.

Any other suggestions are welcome...

EDIT:

Another thing came to mind. The default Comicrack window does not show the Main menu. Instead, its the Tools menu that contains all the relevant options. I guess I'll focus on the Tools menu and not the Main Menu, which a newbie need not use.

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 2 months ago #15298

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
yes, main menu is only thought to be used for special stuff.

Re: QuickManual 0.9.142 6 years 2 months ago #15299

• Stonepaw
  • Thank you received: 267
Nice surprise :)

I took a quick look and I think this is a very good idea!

+1

I'll be taking an in-depth look at it soon and I'll see if I have any suggestions.
Time to create page: 0.299 seconds

Who's Online

We have 227 guests and 3 members online