Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed)

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20799

• kpraxor
  • Fresh Boarder
whismerhill wrote:
(others work though... so it's no problem)

so, can somebody repost the "other" links because I could only find the multiupload referenced in the initial post and it's pretty much offline...
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20803

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
kpraxor wrote:
so, can somebody repost the "other" links because I could only find the multiupload referenced in the initial post and it's pretty much offline...
Multiupload seems to have gone down after the much-hyped megaupload fiasco. So, apologies to all for the trouble. Here is the dropbox link to the manual till we fix things up:
http://db.tt/CiUOYGTC

I have also updated the first post.
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20907

• wintergreen
  • Junior Boarder
Hey 600, a bit OT, but what did you use to create the manuals? The layout is fantastic, and I'm looking to do something similar for something else soon.

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20909

• 600WPMPO
wintergreen wrote:
Hey 600, a bit OT, but what did you use to create the manuals? The layout is fantastic, and I'm looking to do something similar for something else soon.
The core software I use is Adobe InDesign. Earlier I used Quark Xpress, but Adobe simply blew it away! Other than this, there are a number of small software for editing/enhancing pictures. e.g. Analog

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20917

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600WPMPO wrote:
The core software I use is Adobe InDesign. Earlier I used Quark Xpress, but Adobe simply blew it away! Other than this, there are a number of small software for editing/enhancing pictures. e.g. Analog
That Analog software looks like some pretty kickass stuff!!!! Now that app is mos def worth the current $8 charge. I might have to check that out, along with InDesign, sometime soon.

Also, again, great work on the manuals 600. Your work there has really allowed the ComicRack software to stand out above competing software, because software is no use if the masses don't know or understand how to get the many uses out of it! That plus your work has a professional touch to it. (Do you do this type of thing professionally? :) )
One more +1 karma for you. It's been awhile since I gave you one of those. :lol:
Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by oraclexview.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20919

• 600WPMPO
oraclexview wrote:
That Analog software looks like some pretty kickass stuff!!!! Now that app is mos def worth the current $8 charge. I might have to check that out, along with InDesign, sometime soon.
And that reminds me to tell you all that the Tips & Tricks Manual was exclusively made on my MacBook. Using Mac Software to make a manual for a Windows software was great! :laugh:
oraclexview wrote:
Do you do this type of thing professionally?
No Oracle, this is just a hobby. I like doing this every now & then. :)

Last Edit: 5 years 9 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 9 months ago #20928

• wintergreen
  • Junior Boarder
Thanks 600! I'm sure I have indesign bundled with all the other adobe stuff I use already, I will definitely spend some quality time with it.

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 7 months ago #21953

• oraclexview
  • aka SoundWave
  • Thank you received: 182
600WPMPO wrote:
600WPMPO, OK, this is a "off-comic" topic real quick. I'm loving your manuals soooo much that I'm looking to do something similar for making a tutorial for users of a new application that we're launching here at work. So, I'm thinking of using a combination of Adobe InDesign and Analog for creating a manual/tutorial. My questions are how did you become proficient at using these apps? Are there any online tutorials or books that can walk you though the basics/intermediate/advance level stuff?

Thanks! :)
Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by oraclexview.

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 7 months ago #21965

• 600WPMPO
oraclexview wrote:
I'm thinking of using a combination of Adobe InDesign and Analog for creating a manual/tutorial. My questions are how did you become proficient at using these apps? Are there any online tutorials or books that can walk you though the basics/intermediate/advance level stuff?
My style is predominantly trial & error! :laugh:

However, when I needed help, I had a few ebooks at my disposal. Also, Adobe has a good online help. Whenever you are stuck anywhere you just search in google and the adobe help page will tell you what to do.

For analog, you don't need to learn anything.

Apart from these, you will also need
  • some fonts,
  • an image editing software for cropping and partial altering (e.g. XNview)
  • a screen capture tool for getting the screenshots (e.g. SnagIt, or LittleSnapper)
  • I also used Adobe Illustrator for editing vector images for making headings and other eye-candy.
If you ever need my help in making your manuals, I'll be glad to do it for you! :)

p.s. Check your PM

Last Edit: 5 years 7 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: oraclexview

Re: Tips & Tricks Manual (1st ed) 5 years 7 months ago #21968

• {Oo}
  • Platinum Boarder
  • The Chewie is a lie !
  • Thank you received: 41
And, if your manual/tuto is to be translated in another language, don't forget to check that the font you use supports special characters (i.e.: àâäçéèêëîïù, etc...) unlike a certain someone who doesn't :whistle: :laugh:
Working on re-uploading the FR manuals.
Time to create page: 0.228 seconds

Who's Online

We have 264 guests and 5 members online