Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52 5 years 6 months ago #21779

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.52 is now available for download from the Comic Vine Scraper website.

This version contains a few bug fixes (for bugs 235, 247, and 249.) It also allows you to search for any comic book series by using its ComicVine volume ID, or by using the URL of its volume page at the ComicVine website (issue 237).

This is a stable release that should be mostly bug-free.

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.51 is now available for download from the Comic Vine Scraper website.

This version is identical to version 1.0.50, except that it also includes a fix for a minor bug (issue 234).

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.50 is now available for download from the Comic Vine Scraper website.

This version is identical to version 1.0.49, except that it also includes an improved French language pack, courtesy of {Oo}. If you are not running ComicRack in French, then there's no need for you to upgrade from 1.0.49.

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.49 is now available for download from the Comic Vine Scraper website.

This release is identical to version 1.0.48, except that it also contains fixes for issues 230 and 231. It also has up-to-date language packs for German, French, Italian, Dutch, and Portuguese (thanks again to all translators!)

Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 is now available for download from the Comic Vine Scraper website.

This release contains fixes for bugs 215 and 216. It also contains new features: 217, 221, 222, 224, 226, 227, and 229.

What's new in version 1.0.48?

- individual issue titles are now visible in the "Show Issues" window.

- the scraper now "remembers" which series you've scraped in the past, and is more likely to suggest those series at the top of the search results list.

- much faster scraping, thanks to some changes in the Comic Vine API. Caching of issues is no longer needed.

- you can now pre-set the comic book series for any folder by including a special 'cvinfo' file (details below.)

- there is a new "Advanced" section in the Settings window where you can provide advanced instructions to the scraper (details below.)

- you can now tell the scraper to filter out certain search results, based on the series publication year or publisher (details below.)

- if the scraper isn't 'guessing' the correct series for your unscraped comics, you can now provide a regular expression to help it out (details below.)

Those last four features are aimed at advanced users, so I've created a permanent wiki page to describe them all in more detail.

You'll also notice that there are a couple of items that now seem to be missing:

- the "Display Covers Images" setting
- the "Show initialization dialog" setting
- the ability to scrape the "Rating" for comic books

Not to worry! These features are still available in the Advanced Settings. I moved them there because, for various reasons, I don't want novice users stumbling across them

There are only a few words in 1.0.48 that need to be translated into other languages. I'll make a list of them sometime in the next few days and post them here, so hopefully we can get all the non-english language packs up to date for the upcoming stable release.

As always, if you find any bugs in this release please report them in the issue tracker. You can log into it with your google/gmail account. Or if you prefer, you can also post a description of your problem (or any other feedback or questions) in this forum thread.

Cheers! :)
Last Edit: 4 years 11 months ago by cbanack.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forkicks, 600WPMPO, wintergreen, oraclexview, MrDowntown, torerikk, fieldhouse

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21780

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that "Story Arcs" feature, which you'll notice is NOT in the new release.

Sorry guys, but I gave up on that one--it's just too difficult to do properly, and I'm not interested in doing it badly. :unsure: I spent several weeks working on this feature, and everytime I thought I had it sorted out, another set of problems would crop up. In the end, I realized that the only way I could (maybe) make it work would be to spend several more weeks refactoring a lot of existing code, and do a bunch of changes that would ultimately slow the scraper down a lot, because it would need to connect to the Comic Vine database a lot more often.

Anyway, those are my excuses. More importantly, I've decided that it's just not worth it. To those who were looking forward to this feature, I apologize if I got your hopes up! :blush:
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by cbanack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forkicks, Yellowbox, oraclexview

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21782

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
Great work as always.

Talking about Story Arc: I think it would also be possible to make this a standalone script that runs through the library and tries to guess story arcs from titles etc.
Maybe someone will tackle this problem :)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21785

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 108
Thanks for the update Cory. I've been using the mercurial code for a while now, and it has been going fine so far.

I've got just one question regarding the new features, specifically the cvinfo file. When you put an already scraped file into a folder with cvinfo, when you rescrape it, what wins? The cvinfo, or the comic vine tag in the file?

fK

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21786

• DarkSynopsis
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Loving the new CVInfo Feature! Setup one in pretty much all my folders :P will be great for when new comics hit instead of having to pick from a list each time I scrape!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21789

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
Wow. Speed has improved incredibly on this version. It will cut those big re-scrapes by a factor of 10, easily. I just went through 1200 books in under 5 minutes. This used to be closer to the hour mark.

Thanks!

fK

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21790

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Excellent! First, a +1 karma to the genius of cbanack! :)

Now, the review:

This is the fastest scraper till date. Extremely fast. This is like what the new iPad is to the iPad2 in terms of display resolution!! :)

I scraped 100 books, and it took me less than 7 minutes to do so. These books belonged to 63 different series, and I had to skip 6 of them. For 99% of the rest, the scraper simply kept throwing up the correct result, and I just clicked the Ok button fast enough. There was not even a single crash, so it is pretty stable.

The titles of the issues also look great:

As for the advanced features, the CVINFO file feature is great for scraping a pre-sorted collection the first time. I tried regex for the 2000 AD books (which ComicRack still proposes the wrong name. e.g. '2000 AD 1773' as the series name, in place of 2000 AD), but it made no difference as to scraping without it.

Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrDowntown

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21791

• glave
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 2
DarkSynopsis wrote:
Loving the new CVInfo Feature! Setup one in pretty much all my folders :P will be great for when new comics hit instead of having to pick from a list each time I scrape!

Do you sort your comics into folders first before scraping? I'm always looking on how to tweak my workflow a bit! ;)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21793

• forkicks
  • Platinum Boarder
glave wrote:
Do you sort your comics into folders first before scraping? I'm always looking on how to tweak my workflow a bit! ;)

Scraping before sorting makes the manual sort unnecessary. That said, with the new cvinfo feature, if you do the manual sort, the scraping becomes easier. Its a choice between what you dislike doing the most.

fK

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21794

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
I've not checked it to full extent, specially regarding speed. But just being able to remove the Panini comics from the selection list is worth 10000 thanks!

Cheers :laugh:

(PS. Guys, have you noticed the donation link in the scraper google code page?)
Time to create page: 0.279 seconds

Who's Online

We have 204 guests and 10 members online