Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21797

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
I've got just one question regarding the new features, specifically the cvinfo file. When you put an already scraped file into a folder with cvinfo, when you rescrape it, what wins? The cvinfo, or the comic vine tag in the file?
As long as 'rescraping' is turned on, the comic vine tag wins.
The topic has been locked.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forkicks, 600WPMPO

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21798

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
BLAZING FAST, MAN :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo: :woohoo:

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21801

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Why is the ComicVine Scraper not built-in within ComicRack is beyond me... :blink:

I remember some fuzzy logic behind it, like what will happen if comic vine servers die or go down or disallow the scraper.

Everytime I use the scraper and think why it is not 'in' there, this is the expression on my face:

cYo, you listening?
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21802

• perezmu
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 64
600WPMPO wrote:
cYo, you listening?

I don't wanna start a fight here, but I think it is ok the way it is. It is perfectly integrated, and our beloved cbanack gets the credit he deserves. Also, remember, Cory's script is opensource...

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21811

• cYo
  • Thank you received: 675
But LGPL (I hope, otherwise we get in serious trouble :)).

I have a total hands off approach to all the plugins. If I would get involved (or even ship it with ComicRack), I would also have part of the responsibility that they are actually working.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21812

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
Yeah, I'm pretty happy with the way things are right now. :)

It would be pretty neat if there was some kind of automatic updating for the plugins, but that's an awful lot of work so I can understand why we don't have anything like that.

Besides, it's not really THAT hard to get Comic Vine Scraper installed and running, is it?! ;)

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21814

• deathcroc
  • Junior Boarder
First: I love the faster scrapes!!

Second: I want to see if anyone else has this behavior and/or I'm doing something stupid before I submit a bug report.

All the books in question have info created through the built-in proposed values process. I did a scrape on some titles I hadn't scrapped before and it for some it scrapped using what was in the info screen, others wanted to scrape on file name. This causes the whole to process stop and ask me to search again when it can't find "plastic man ctc 007" and then "plastic man ctc 008" and so on.

Is there some setting I missed? The only setting I changed when I loaded the plug in was to ignore two specific publishers.

Thanks!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by deathcroc. Reason: grammer fix

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21815

• DarkSynopsis
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
glave wrote:
Do you sort your comics into folders first before scraping? I'm always looking on how to tweak my workflow a bit! ;)

Yeah I always sort out my Comics into folders before I scrape them :) That way I know they don't need to be moved.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21819

• RevQuixo
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 25
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but the one changed behavior I've noticed is when scraping a series that is crossing years, the scraper prompts again for a series validation

so

Wolverine #1 (1982)
Wolverine #2 (1983)
Wolverine #3 (1984)

will prompt three checks from the scraper..don't remember this happening before.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21820

• 600WPMPO
  • Thank you received: 557
Don't get mad at me. Someone has to speak up. ;)
cYo wrote:
I have a total hands off approach to all the plugins. If I would get involved (or even ship it with ComicRack), I would also have part of the responsibility that they are actually working.
You should begin to share responsibility and trust your team (or whatever we are) to keep them 'working'. :silly:
cYo wrote:
CRW I do not have a clue. I never added some usage reporting to the app. My estimate because of downloads and traffic to the website would be > 100k, but it can be more (and even much more).
Stonepaw wrote:
Looking at the comicvine scrapers google code page. The current version has had 119 downloads and the previous version 4449!
So, out of >100k users, about 5000 (maximum 10,000) use the scraper. Till a user is highly motivated to find a solution for automated scraping of metadata, he wouldn't come to know about the scraper. I doubt if the manuals are helping, cause till multiupload went down, I remember about 22,000 downloads of the 4th edition of the manual. The website also is constructed in a similar member. The link for the manual, instead of being in the Documentation drop-down, is in the downloads menu, casually labelled 'Manuals etc'.

Now go to the Scripts menu from the main page, and you will find these scripts (dated 2010):
ComicVine Scraper
Find Missing Issues
Weekly Comic Releases
Write Missing Issues to Text File
Organize Library Files & Folders 2.2.1

Try downloading the scraper, you will get a text file that will tell you to go to the google code page and download it from there. Is it so difficult and time-consuming to update it with at least the last stable version? :unsure:

Stonepaw's excellent Library Organizer doesn't get a mention because cYo doesn't use it. He instead uses the 'Organize Library Files & Folders' script, because it 'just works'. Comparing this outdated script with Libaray Organizer is like comparing CDisplay with ComicRack.

Outdated scripts (half of which no one uses) are built-in. The new innovative scripts are left for the users to explore and 'stumble upon'. :(

i again say, integrate the current most popular scripts. These are great advertisements. The reviewers will love to say, "Now with ComicRack you can organize your digital comics in Windows Explorer the way you want. You can download metadata without the need of any add-on. Make the rules with the in-built duplicates manager and with one click, get rid of the duplicates.'

Before we move any further, we need to seriously clean up these issues. :(
Now Playing: The ComicRack Manual (Online)

See my new comics & gadgets on: Tumblr!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by 600WPMPO.
Time to create page: 0.217 seconds

Who's Online

We have 207 guests and 10 members online