Welcome, Guest
News and Announcements

TOPIC: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48-52

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21821

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 503
deathcroc wrote:
I did a scrape on some titles I hadn't scrapped before and it for some it scrapped using what was in the info screen, others wanted to scrape on file name. This causes the whole to process stop and ask me to search again when it can't find "plastic man ctc 007" and then "plastic man ctc 008" and so on.
Is it possible that in some of your files, the values (series name, etc) had become "actual" values, while in other files they were still just "proposed" values? That's a subtle difference, but it matters to the scraper, because the scraper will only look at the comics file name if there are no "actual" values available for series name, issue number, and volume (year).

(The easiest way to tell the difference: proposed values appear in slightly greyed out text, while "actual" values appear in regular, dark text.)

You could try selecting the files that are behaving this way, and performing a "Clear Data" on them. This would revert them to entirely "proposed" values, and force the scraper to use the filenames when generating the search terms.

If that doesn't fix the problem, tell me what the filenames actually are. If they are common, regular filenames, I might try to fix the scraper to recognize them automatically. If they are "weird", I can probably still help you generate an ALT_SEARCH_REGEX setting that will allow them to be scraped automatically.
The topic has been locked.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21822

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
RevQuixo wrote:
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but the one changed behavior I've noticed is when scraping a series that is crossing years, the scraper prompts again for a series validation

so

Wolverine #1 (1982)
Wolverine #2 (1983)
Wolverine #3 (1984)

will prompt three checks from the scraper..don't remember this happening before.
Ahh yes, that is unintentional behaviour. The scraper is just confusing the issue year with the volume year...I'll take a closer look next week. Thanks for pointing it out!
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by cbanack.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21824

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
600WPMPO wrote:
So, out of >100k users, about 5000 (maximum 10,000) use the scraper. Till a user is highly motivated to find a solution for automated scraping of metadata, he wouldn't come to know about the scraper.
Of course I'd always like to see more people using the scraper--but I should point out that the downloads from the Comic Vine Scraper site are a really big deal to me. They are the only way I have of knowing how many people are using the scraper, and seeing that number grow over the last few years is one of the main things that keeps me working on it!

The problem with shipping the scraper directly with ComicRack is that I'd lose that--now there's no reason for anyone to visit the scraper homepage or download the the scraper at all! And far as the average user is concerned, Comic Vine Scraper won't be its own special thing, it'll just be another great feature in ComicRack. :dry:
Now go to the Scripts menu from the main page, and you will find these scripts (dated 2010):
ComicVine Scraper
Find Missing Issues
Weekly Comic Releases
Write Missing Issues to Text File
Organize Library Files & Folders 2.2.1
I agree, this is not ideal at all. Personally, I would love to see the "Scripts and Plugins" section of the webpage completely replaced. That link should go directly to a special page (or even a whole separate website) that maintains an active list of all the working Comic Rack plugins...with links to the websites (if any) where those plugins can be downloaded. Maybe even a twitter account or some kind of newfeed to announce new scripts and new versions.

Something like this is a great improvement over the current "Scripts and Plugins" section, but it could be even better if it was a full blown website (a wiki, maybe?) instead of just a forum thread.

Building and maintaining a website/page like that is not a small job, though, and it's not fair to expect cYo to do it. If someone else was interested in doing it, though, perhaps cYo would be willing to change the "Downloads->Scripts and Plugins" link to point to that new page? Maybe he could also link directly to that page from the main ComicRack download page? Making the scripts more noticeable and much easier to find would go a long way toward solving the problems you are bringing up here.
Try downloading the scraper, you will get a text file that will tell you to go to the google code page and download it from there. Is it so difficult and time-consuming to update it with at least the last stable version? :unsure:
Again, this comes down to download statistics. I very much prefer people to download the scraper from the scraper website directly, so that I know the download happened. That said, I would dearly like to see this text file redirect changed into a simple link to the Comic Vine Scraper webpage. It makes me cringe a little to see how many people have downloaded that text file. :(

Edit: I just noticed that cYo added a mention of the Comic Vine Scraper into the Comic Rack news feed, so that means pretty much every ComicRack user will see it sooner or later. I guess I can't really complain that the scraper isn't getting enough exposure! :) (Thanks cYo!)
Last Edit: 5 years 6 months ago by cbanack.
The following user(s) said Thank You: 600WPMPO

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21834

• deathcroc
  • Junior Boarder
cbanack wrote:
deathcroc wrote:
I did a scrape on some titles I hadn't scrapped before and it for some it scrapped using what was in the info screen, others wanted to scrape on file name. This causes the whole to process stop and ask me to search again when it can't find "plastic man ctc 007" and then "plastic man ctc 008" and so on.
Is it possible that in some of your files, the values (series name, etc) had become "actual" values, while in other files they were still just "proposed" values? That's a subtle difference, but it matters to the scraper, because the scraper will only look at the comics file name if there are no "actual" values available for series name, issue number, and volume (year).

(The easiest way to tell the difference: proposed values appear in slightly greyed out text, while "actual" values appear in regular, dark text.)

You could try selecting the files that are behaving this way, and performing a "Clear Data" on them. This would revert them to entirely "proposed" values, and force the scraper to use the filenames when generating the search terms.

If that doesn't fix the problem, tell me what the filenames actually are. If they are common, regular filenames, I might try to fix the scraper to recognize them automatically. If they are "weird", I can probably still help you generate an ALT_SEARCH_REGEX setting that will allow them to be scraped automatically.

I got it to work now, but in a slightly different manner than you suggested.
Example file name: Plastic Man v1 008 52p ctc (Summer 1947)
Proposed values (in the light gray font) in the info panel show "Plastic Man" as Series, "1" in volume, "8" in number, and "1947" in year.
When I try to scrape, it wants to search "Plastic Man 008 ctc"
I hit "clear data" and get the same results
Then I noticed the "Commit Proposed Values" option in the same menu as clear data option. Ran that on the file in question and it scrapes normally.

Not the exact solution you suggested, but it got me on the right direction. Thanks!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21960

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Anyone out there speak Dutch/Belgian fluently? How about Polish? Or Portuguese/Brazilian?

The Comic Vine Scraper still needs four little sentences translated in each of those languages. If you want to help, just tell me the translations here.

Thanks!

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21966

• Fuzzyluzzi
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 44
Does it work through Babelfish?

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21967

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
Not at a level I would trust. :P

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21997

• bradmon
  • Junior Boarder
For some reason I am not getting the CVDB tags when I scrape. I think that this may have actually started before I switched to 1.0.48. Any idea what setting that I might have wrong or what happened that I am no longer getting these when I scrape? Thanks.

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21998

• cbanack
  • Platinum Boarder
There's a "rescraping" tab in the Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.47 "Settings..." window. It contains a checkbox for using your previous choice when rescraping a comic. Underneath it are two checkboxes for storing your previous choice (i.e. the CVDB tags) in the "Notes" field and the "Tags" fields of your comics. Make sure at least one of those two checkboxes is turned on.

Note that in 1.0.48, the "rescraping" tab has been removed and the three checkboxes I just mentioned are located in a different tab in the settings window...the "behaviour" tab, if I remember correctly.

Let me know if that doesn't work, it's also possible that there is a bug. :dry:

Re: Comic Vine Scraper 1.0.48 5 years 6 months ago #21999

• bradmon
  • Junior Boarder
Bingo!!

That fixed it.

Thanks for the reply, and for the awesome scraper.
Time to create page: 0.218 seconds

Who's Online

We have 231 guests and 8 members online